This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can Beer Do This?

dwaters800

dwaters800 Rookie

My son, 17, is gluten sensitive. He does not normally have the loose stools, just stomach pain and achy muscles, although he has intestinal damage. He drank a bunch of beer on a Saturday night and the following Tuesday he woke up with severe stomach pain that lasted for about a week, although it is almost gone now. He also hurt all over and was exhausted. Is it possible 1) for the reaction to be delayed several days after consumption and 2) can the reaction last this long? He had been doing so well before this. And he is in big trouble for drinking too! Thanks for any info. We are somewhat new to this.

Ginny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Sounds plausible to me! My reactions last about 5 days, but they are not delayed. I have heard that others have delayed reactions.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
My son, 17, is gluten sensitive. He does not normally have the loose stools, just stomach pain and achy muscles, although he has intestinal damage. He drank a bunch of beer on a Saturday night and the following Tuesday he woke up with severe stomach pain that lasted for about a week, although it is almost gone now. He also hurt all over and was exhausted. Is it possible 1) for the reaction to be delayed several days after consumption and 2) can the reaction last this long? He had been doing so well before this. And he is in big trouble for drinking too! Thanks for any info. We are somewhat new to this.

Ginny

Yes it is most likely the gluten. I get the brain fog and stuff soon after consumption but my D takes a few days. He also needs to be made aware that for people that don't drink all the time drinking a large amount can be fatal. A freind lost his son after just a couple months at college. All he was drinking was beer but he passed out and aspirated his vomit after his 'freinds' just tossed him in a bathroom and left him there. I know you will think of an appropriate punishment, does he drive yet? Taking keys and computer for a month or so would not seem out of line to me.

CarlaB Enthusiast
Yes it is most likely the gluten. I get the brain fog and stuff soon after consumption but my D takes a few days. He also needs to be made aware that for people that don't drink all the time drinking a large amount can be fatal. A freind lost his son after just a couple months at college. All he was drinking was beer but he passed out and aspirated his vomit after his 'freinds' just tossed him in a bathroom and left him there. I know you will think of an appropriate punishment, does he drive yet? Taking keys and computer for a month or so would not seem out of line to me.

For this reason, I would be happy he did have such a severe reaction to the beer!

If he drove after drinking, I'd take away his license and not pay his insurance ever again. You are the one who signed to be responsible for his driving, so if he showed irresponsibility I'd take the privilege away. If he didn't drive, I would do as Ravenwoodglass mentioned.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Besides all the bad things that could have happened--beer is not gluten free and if he is gluten sensitive, he needs to stay away from beer. Deb

dwaters800 Rookie

Thanks for all the input. My son did not drive that way, thank goodness. Hopefully he learned something from this experience.

Ginny

jknnej Collaborator

Make sure his punishment is strict and stick to it! As a high school teacher I have kids who get in trouble for drinking and come in the next day joking about how lax their parents were about their punishment. At first I thought they might just be putting on a show for their friends but then I spoke to a teacher who actually knew this kid's mom and she said, yup, he isn't really in trouble at all. That is ridiculous. By the end of the year the kid had 2 DUI's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes that can cause his problems. Some people see reactions right away while some don't and my reactions last a good 2 weeks and sometimes longer. He really needs to learn to stick with the diet because it can be life threatening if not followed.

Archived