Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alright well i have been gluten free for about 4 months now, and im still having problems with some foods just passing thru me

Beans-come out whole

Grabes-the seeds seem to pass thru

rice- lots of white rice

is this normal? does this meen im not absorbing as much food as im supposed to or are these things just hard to digest??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, I have been gluten-free for about a year and a half and still have undigested food coming through...I think that may continue to some extent, but noticing improvement (which I have) is what's important. I get beans, seeds, sometimes rice... Pre-gluten-free it was worse. I remember a large piece of broccoli coming through looking completely normal. (Which also made me think I wasn't chewing my food well enough either!) So, look for improvement in the future primarily. And 4 mos gluten-free isn't very long. My labs and tests were still positive/high after four months gluten-free. You still have a ways to go I'm sure.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

should i avoid the foods that dont digest properly? i have a can of hormel chili in the cabnit thats been stairing at me for about 2 months now

I have this problem mainly on gluten. Right now for example, I don't know why I bother eating fruits and vegetables. It's like anything with a cell wall goes right through me undigested. I had asparagus come out whole and I SWEAR I chewed more than that! I had a chunk of blueberry muffin go through practically unscathed the other day :blink:

It's totally gross.

I don't think eating those things is going to hurt you, certainly. Sorry, I don't have much advice to give. I was about to post this thread myself.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

should i avoid the foods that dont digest properly? i have a can of hormel chili in the cabnit thats been stairing at me for about 2 months now

Its not hurting you to eat those foods, so no need to stop eating them. The good thing is that the foods you are having issues with are ones that are typically hard to digest/high in fiber. I would be concerned if other types or most of your food was coming out undigested...which could be a sign of another issue like a pancreatic insufficiency. I guess if you continue to have issues you could try digestive enzymes, but that is something I only ever tried briefly.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

yeah the only other thing that comes thru is carrot bits, and maybe lettece not sure though, i have unexplained black dots and lots of them in my movements, but the doctor says its either food or bactera die off since we tsted for blood, but my bactera tests came back negative so im thinkign maybe from spinich