This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac, Chrone's, Ulcerative Ibs

genicol

genicol Rookie

Is there any link between Celiac, Chrone's and Irritable Bowel? My daughter's grandma (dad's side) has Chrone's and had a colostomy about 2 1/2 years ago. Her uncle (again...dad's side) has ulcerative colitis. Both grandma and uncle also have irritable bowel. After reading everything that I have so far, I am completely convinced that my fiance has celiac as well! Do you think the whole family is cursed with problems and do you think that my daughter has a higher chance of developing Chrone's? We are not 100% sure that she has Celiac, but will know better after tomorrow. Blood test was positive, endoscopy in the morning! I know that Celiac is genetic, but no one on her dad's side has every been diagnosed with it, but they have had other problems. Thanks for the help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

evie Rookie
Is there any link between Celiac, Chrone's and Irritable Bowel? My daughter's grandma (dad's side) has Chrone's and had a colostomy about 2 1/2 years ago. Her uncle (again...dad's side) has ulcerative colitis. Both grandma and uncle also have irritable bowel. After reading everything that I have so far, I am completely convinced that my fiance has celiac as well! Do you think the whole family is cursed with problems and do you think that my daughter has a higher chance of developing Chrone's? We are not 100% sure that she has Celiac, but will know better after tomorrow. Blood test was positive, endoscopy in the morning! I know that Celiac is genetic, but no one on her dad's side has every been diagnosed with it, but they have had other problems. Thanks for the help!!!

Yes,I have heard of people having celiac and chrones + having celiac and IBS. So m,any times with further investigation people will find their IBS is actually celiac disease. If she is found to be celiac and goes gluten free she will get much better and probably would not develop chrons. wish you much luck with your daughters testing!! Living gluten free is so rewarding with better health, I advise it even without a definite diagnosis if a trial of at least a month shows health improvement. :):) evie

Guest Robbin

Hi Gail and welcome. :) A positive blood test is positive. No false positives, only false negatives are possible. The medical community is clueless with this disease for the most part. It sounds like your fiance's relatives have been given the same old labels many of us have had, they probably have celiac or gluten intolerance. I would get to a health food store, get some gluten free cereals and rice pasta and coupled with fresh fruits and veggies and meats, your little one will be feeling so good and healthier than most other kids her age. Get a gluten-free cookbook (there are many check out the recipes/cooking section on here for recommendations) and pm nini for the "newbie survival kit" that she has graciously put together for people who are new to this. There are plenty of gluten free substitutions and you will find it gets much easier over time. She is little and will adapt better than older children do. Take care and keep us posted :)

mart Contributor
Yes,I have heard of people having celiac and chrones + having celiac and IBS. So m,any times with further investigation people will find their IBS is actually celiac disease. If she is found to be celiac and goes gluten free she will get much better and probably would not develop chrons. wish you much luck with your daughters testing!! Living gluten free is so rewarding with better health, I advise it even without a definite diagnosis if a trial of at least a month shows health improvement. :):) evie

Wow, is it true that she will probably not develop chron's if she goes gluten free?

Nic Collaborator

I believe my son has IBS on top of the Celiac. Now that he is gluten free he is much better but about once a month he goes into a cycle where he becomes constipated again and complains that his stomach and "butt" hurt. At first I was worried about accidental glutening but it can't be because it is on a monthly cycle and unfortunately for my family, I don't change anything in our diet (very boring cook). So there is no reason for him to be contaminated once a month and not every week if it were something in his diet. His stomach also acts up when he is nervous or scared. We had a Chuck E Cheese B-Day party last weekend. As soon as he saw the character come out in costume, that was it. He was sick in the bathroom with his stomach the rest of the time. This happens any time we go some where knew where he is not comfortable.

lorka150 Collaborator

the autoimmune gene often is passed along.

Archived