Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):


0
Kelly J

What Are Your Brands & Flavors Of Gluten Free Ice Cream ?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

You read it, so I will explain in plain English. They don't make a claim, because they don't test and won't put themselves at risk of a frivolous suit based on an error by a supplier to them. But they will clearly label all ingredients. That means no hidden gluten. Since FALCPA took effect ten years ago, hidden gluten has been extremely rare. Nothing to worry about from my perspective. Enjoy Blue Bunny products--read the label and know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ANAHEIMANGELS40 said:
DIRECTLY FROM BLUE BUNNY WEBSITE
 

What Blue Bunny products are gluten-free?

Blue Bunny does not presently validate or certify that our products are "gluten-free" and consequently we do not label our products as such. We are committed to using the highest quality ingredients and reflect all required nutritional information in the nutrition label on each package, to assist consumers in purchasing products that meet their dietary and lifestyle needs.

Welcome, @Anaheimangels40.  :)

Thanks for the update on the Blue Bunny products. :)  This is very old post (2006), and information can change over time. It's also a good idea to read label for any gluten-containing ingredients.  A lot of companies won't validate that their products are gluten free, even though ingredient list might not contain gluten ingredients. It's very important to read labels. 

Edited by SLLRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Friend Owns A Certified Gluten Free Business, They Have To Follow Strict Guidlines To Keep The Certification. She Told Me That A Lot Of Companies Are Claiming Gluten Free But Are Not Certified, Because They Manufacture Non Gluten Free Foods In The Same Factory Where Cross Contamination Happens. She Also Warned Me Against Companies Like Blue Bunny That Do Not Claim Gluten Free, And Just Because There Are Not Any Ingredients With Gluten, They Still Make Other Flavors That Do Have Gluten And Made In The Same Factory, Again Cross Contamination. You Believe What You Want, I Will Believe A Friend Who's Company Is Certified Gluten Free.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ANAHEIMANGELS40 said:

A Friend Owns A Certified Gluten Free Business, They Have To Follow Strict Guidlines To Keep The Certification. She Told Me That A Lot Of Companies Are Claiming Gluten Free But Are Not Certified, Because They Manufacture Non Gluten Free Foods In The Same Factory Where Cross Contamination Happens. She Also Warned Me Against Companies Like Blue Bunny That Do Not Claim Gluten Free, And Just Because There Are Not Any Ingredients With Gluten, They Still Make Other Flavors That Do Have Gluten And Made In The Same Factory, Again Cross Contamination. You Believe What You Want, I Will Believe A Friend Who's Company Is Certified Gluten Free.

 

Yes, everyone has the right to monitor their diets as they wish but keep in mind that many companies have shared facilities and do a good job to prevent cc.  It is not an assumed automatic that food has been cc'd just because they are made in a shared facility. Lots of Celiac's find companies they can trust, who do not make them sick, without being certified.

I assume you never eat in a restaurant or in other people's homes if gluten is present anywhere on the premises?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't worry about the same facility, but I check if it is on the same lines. I think it is usually a good idea to find out if things are made on shared lines. And if they are made on the same line as gluten-containing products how good is the cleaning in between? Chocolate is a good example of this. For example, I contacted a company whose chocolate I used to eat before being diagnosed and they outright told me they are not good about cleaning on shared lines and it is not safe for allergies or celiac. I have had this response from other companies as well (especially when it comes to chocolate sadly). I think this is why Godiva is not safe. Its just a good idea to check.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BDD said:

I don't worry about the same facility, but I check if it is on the same lines. I think it is usually a good idea to find out if things are made on shared lines. And if they are made on the same line as gluten-containing products how good is the cleaning in between? Chocolate is a good example of this. For example, I contacted a company whose chocolate I used to eat before being diagnosed and they outright told me they are not good about cleaning on shared lines and it is not safe for allergies or celiac. I have had this response from other companies as well (especially when it comes to chocolate sadly). I think this is why Godiva is not safe. Its just a good idea to check.

This is a common sense answer!  ;)

I used to eat Godiva years ago and was dismayed they had no interest in appealing to anyone with a food allergy/intolerance.  That's OK......Ghirardelli chocolates are very good about divulging what they do and most of their chocolates are gluten-free.  Again, you have to understand label reading and investigate further, if need be.  Turns out, I think their chocolates are just as good, if not better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gemini said:

This is a common sense answer!  ;)

I used to eat Godiva years ago and was dismayed they had no interest in appealing to anyone with a food allergy/intolerance.  That's OK......Ghirardelli chocolates are very good about divulging what they do and most of their chocolates are gluten-free.  Again, you have to understand label reading and investigate further, if need be.  Turns out, I think their chocolates are just as good, if not better.

I'll have to check out Ghirardelli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

0


  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):





    Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):




  • Forum Discussions

    That's good to know. I have my MRI on a celiac disease as it was requested by an ENT consultant to take a look at but again this is someone who isn't looking in regards to gluten ataxia but I can mention it to them and also give it to...
    The boat feeling did resolve but I do still have some residual balance issues. However I had ataxia impact from the time I was a child until my 40's. Glad to hear you are seeing someone that will be looking specifically for the UBOs. My neuro...
    I had a brain MRI over a year ago which wasn't specifically looking for signs of gluten ataxia - it was more just for reassurance as I was right at the beginning of my balance problems. I have a further brain MRI planned in May and this...