This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Baby Formula?

amber3174

amber3174 Newbie

Hi, Im due to have a baby any day now and although I will breastfeed first,

Im wondering about formula. I think I read that Enfamil is gluten-free, what about similac?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Amber

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

your best bet is to call the manufacturers. That way you hear it from the source!

frenchiemama Collaborator

I can 100% personally guarantee you that Nestle formulas are gluten-free, and I can 99.999% assure you that the other brands are as well. Infant formula production is regulated far more strictly than normal food (look up the Infant Formula Act online if you wish to see) and there is no way that a major allergen would go unlabeled.

• 2 weeks later...
harrisonsmom Newbie

I am very sure similac is also gluten free. Most formulas do not contain gluten bc they realize that is a common allergen for babies and it is not reccommended they get wheat before four months anyway so why would they put it in formula? (although nothing would surprise me these days!) However, do be careful when it comes time for solids. Lots of rice cereals have gluten in them for some reason. Gerber doesnt not as well as Earth's Best (I think thats the brand). Lots of "first foods" are hard to find, like cheerios. I still have nto found a soft gluten-free cheerio type cereal for my son. Hes still learning to eat that stuff and he's 9 mos bc so much is not gluten-free. Hes not diagnoesd yet but we're doing the diet anyway to hopefully prevent. The Wagon Wheels by Gerber are gluten-free though but so far, all biter biscuits and stuff like that are chock full of the evil gluten. I found a few gluten-free cereals at the health food strore but of course those are expensive. Sigh. If only the world was gluten-free.

I can 100% personally guarantee you that Nestle formulas are gluten-free, and I can 99.999% assure you that the other brands are as well. Infant formula production is regulated far more strictly than normal food (look up the Infant Formula Act online if you wish to see) and there is no way that a major allergen would go unlabeled.
  • 4 weeks later...
Michi8 Contributor
Hi, Im due to have a baby any day now and although I will breastfeed first,

Im wondering about formula. I think I read that Enfamil is gluten-free, what about similac?

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Amber

If you breastfeed for the first year, you can avoid giving formula altogether. The bonus is that breastfeeding is protective for baby's GI tract as well. ;)

Archived