Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Amy's Labeling Change "no Gluten Ingredients"

Guest cassidy

I picked up an Amy's brown rice bowl today and checked to make sure that it said it was gluten free. It didn't. It said "no gluten ingredients." I know many of us have been glutened by Amy's and that seemed like a cya statement to me.

I just looked at their website and found this:

Amy’s Kitchen manufactures a number of products that are formulated without gluten containing ingredients. We strive to make these products as delicious as our popular gluten containing products. We currently have over 60 products that are formulated without gluten.

>> "No Gluten Ingredients" Products

Current US food regulations do not define “Gluten Free”. By August 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) must issue a proposed rule that will define the criteria for "Gluten Free" labeling of foods; the final rule defining “Gluten Free” must be issued no later than August 2008. In the meantime, Amy's Kitchen has decided to label the products we make without any gluten-containing ingredients as “No Gluten Ingredients”. In April 2006, you will start to see “No Gluten Ingredients” on the front of frozen product packages and on the back of canned and jarred product labels. Once the criteria for “Gluten Free” are final, Amy’s Kitchen will update our packaging according to the FDA criteria.

I have been wanting pizza, but haven't tried theirs since my mother got very sick from it. I checked on the rice crust pizza and on their website it doesn't have the symbol for having "no gluten ingredients." Is this a mistake, or is the pizza no longer gluten-free?

I emailed them a few weeks ago to ask about their new gluten-free plant that was supposed to be finished in February. I wanted to know if it had been finished and if there are products that shouldn't have cc issues, but I haven't heard back

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What I have found is even Amy's gluten-free items say that they are made in a facility that makes products that contain gluten. I personally won't nor can I touch items that have minute amounts of gluten in them or in a facility that has gluten. This is because of cross contamination issues.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

I don't know what that means either, but I wonder if some stuff was made on the same line as other gluten products or if some of the ingredients they get from other suppliers may not be 100% gluten free. LIke seasonings, etc. I too have felt gluttened by a couple of her products and have been scared to eat anything by her. They must have had some problems or they wouldn't be changing things though.

Monica

I picked up an Amy's brown rice bowl today and checked to make sure that it said it was gluten free. It didn't. It said "no gluten ingredients." I know many of us have been glutened by Amy's and that seemed like a cya statement to me.

I just looked at their website and found this:

Amy’s Kitchen manufactures a number of products that are formulated without gluten containing ingredients. We strive to make these products as delicious as our popular gluten containing products. We currently have over 60 products that are formulated without gluten.

>> "No Gluten Ingredients" Products

Current US food regulations do not define “Gluten Free”. By August 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) must issue a proposed rule that will define the criteria for "Gluten Free" labeling of foods; the final rule defining “Gluten Free” must be issued no later than August 2008. In the meantime, Amy's Kitchen has decided to label the products we make without any gluten-containing ingredients as “No Gluten Ingredients”. In April 2006, you will start to see “No Gluten Ingredients” on the front of frozen product packages and on the back of canned and jarred product labels. Once the criteria for “Gluten Free” are final, Amy’s Kitchen will update our packaging according to the FDA criteria.

I have been wanting pizza, but haven't tried theirs since my mother got very sick from it. I checked on the rice crust pizza and on their website it doesn't have the symbol for having "no gluten ingredients." Is this a mistake, or is the pizza no longer gluten-free?

I emailed them a few weeks ago to ask about their new gluten-free plant that was supposed to be finished in February. I wanted to know if it had been finished and if there are products that shouldn't have cc issues, but I haven't heard back

Maybe they have received a lot of feedback from people with cc and so they have changed their labeling to reflect that??

I know they have had some incidences of CC, but I think they are also trying to be more savvy than most companies, and not blindly label gluten free when there is no standard definition for what that means. There have been some folks here who have had CC issues with Amy's and just as many who eat the meals w/o issues. You'll have to make your own call on that one. I think the mac and cheese and shepherd's pie were the 2 I've heard issues about. I eat a few of the meals on occasion...

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Guest BERNESES

I think it's because all their products are produced in the same facility and they have had CC issues. When I reported my experience, she told me they are working on a seperate facility for their gluten free line, but it's not ready yet.

I think it's because all their products are produced in the same facility and they have had CC issues. When I reported my experience, she told me they are working on a seperate facility for their gluten free line, but it's not ready yet.

That will be a glorious day :D

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

Here's what's on their website about their labelling:

Amy’s Kitchen Products

"No Gluten Ingredients" Products

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

I sent an e-mail to them tonight. Mostly, I wanted to know why the rice crust pizza was not on the no gluten list. The ingredients due not look like they have changed nor does it say it contains wheat. This is one of the few quick things I can throw in the oven after a crazy day. If they respond I will let you know.

Hez

I think I eat the mac and cheese weekly (once a week, that is) and have not yet gotten sick from it, though I have read others experiences. It's the only Amys product I can eat (because of other food intolerances). Just wanted to mention that, after reading several posts about CC and people being glutened by them.

Stephanie

Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04

Gluten-free since 10/04

Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)

Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07

Fibromyalgia, 6/11

i ate the rice pizza last night for the first time and had no problems.....it was pretty good

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

I love her Mac N Cheese, Thai Asian Stir Fry and the rice bowls.

It seems to me that her statement as "no gluten ingredients" would be more technically correct than "Gluten free"

well, maybe the logan should be "no intended gluten ingredients.."

In any event, the mac n cheese is a staple of my diet and someone would only be able to pry it from "my cold, dead hands..."

LOL

I really like Amy's Indian Vegetable Korma (or something like that). It's never made me sick. I think it's a good company, and there labeling decision seems like a good one...

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I'll add my favs are the 2 gluten-free/cf enchilada and bean combos. yum!

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

I'll add my favs are the 2 gluten-free/cf enchilada and bean combos. yum!

Hi Jen, are the gluten-free/CF enchiladas spicy?

~Betty

Hi Jen, are the gluten-free/CF enchiladas spicy?

I would say mildly to low moderately spicy--if that makes sense. Not very spicy...

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

In any event, the mac n cheese is a staple of my diet and someone would only be able to pry it from "my cold, dead hands..."

Ha! That is me - it's the only ready-made "meal" I can eat! When my kitchen was being torn out and remodelled, I had at least one a day for a couple of weeks. Thankfully I found them on sale at my Grocery Outlet ($.99 each! A major steal!) Now I find them at my health food store - they are marketd $3.39 but ring up $2.39. I have to admit that while I should be a big person and let them know it's coming up wrong, I think $3.39 is highway robbery. I do give them a lot of business besides that, so I don't feel too bad in the long run about that... :)

Stephanie

Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04

Gluten-free since 10/04

Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)

Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07

Fibromyalgia, 6/11

I eat the cheese pizza a lot, and some of the macarroni, and have never seemed to have had a CC problem (and I am one of those sensative ones that a crumb cant touch my food or I get sick). So if there is any CC, it hasnt hit me yet!

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

thanks jen, I'll have to try them.

I had the mac and cheese and loved it when I first went gluten-free, that was before I found out I can't have lactose..I miss the mac and cheese :angry:

~Betty

thanks jen, I'll have to try them.

I had the mac and cheese and loved it when I first went gluten-free, that was before I found out I can't have lactose..I miss the mac and cheese :angry:

That stinks :( I used to eat the gluten-free lasagna before I stopped eating dairy. It was good. There are quite a few other cf/gluten-free meals too: Vegetable and rice bowl, a thai dish, a noodle and veggie dish, a black-eyed pea and rice and veggie dish also.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

That stinks :( I used to eat the gluten-free lasagna before I stopped eating dairy. It was good. There are quite a few other cf/gluten-free meals too: Vegetable and rice bowl, a thai dish, a noodle and veggie dish, a black-eyed pea and rice and veggie dish also.

jen, I was thinking of sending you a personal message and asking you which other ones are safe for me, you beat me to it lol

most days I go all day without eating till supper because I don't have the time to cook lunch, these would be quick and easy.

I'm writing down the ones you mentioned, thanks bunches!

~Betty

I emailed Amys and asked for a list of gluten-free/DF products, they got back to me in 10 mins and said to send them my address and they will send out a list of the foods I can eat and coupons :D

~Betty

I eat the rice pizza too and had no problems...but i'm not happy to hear about the possible CC issue...Darn it and I love that pizza!!!

~Turtle~

The Indian Vegetable Korma is gluten-free, dairy-free, cholesterol-free, vegan, certified kosher, corn-free and soy-free. It's awesome :)

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates