This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dq8 - Results?

JodiC

JodiC Apprentice

I was just wondering if any of you knew why just having the DQ8 gene is so rare? My doc said that you normally see DQ2 along with it but I only have the one. Does anyone know the significance of this and what it could mean for my sons? I have 2 that are displaying classic celiac symptoms. Although one of them keeps having green and black stools. (food dyes have not been ingested). Should I get the dna tested on them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I don't know. DQ2 and/or DQ8 predispose to gluten sensitivity/intolerance. Out of the four of us in my family tested, one has DQ8, one has DQ2 & DQ8, one has two DQ2, and one has one DQ2. From enterolab DQ2 or DQ8 are celiac genes but they don't go into just the 8 being rare alone. If you only have the one celiac gene than you're offspring has a 50% chance of that gene being passed on to them. My daughter has the DQ8 and my son has both DQ2. She also has a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity, so one of each. I'll be curious to see what combo my baby has. We will get him tested when we scrape the funds together. We know he'll have at least one celiac gene. The following is what enterolab had to say about my daughter.

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: HLA gene analysis reveals that you have one of the main genes that predisposes to gluten sensitivity and celiac sprue, HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8. Each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you. You also have a non-celiac gene predisposing to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having one celiac gene and one gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of a gluten sensitive gene. Having two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity or celiac disease may be more severe.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I dont recall ever hearing or reading that DQ8 is rare without DQ2. :unsure: I think lots of people here have DQ8 by itself.

JodiC Apprentice

I googled DQ8 and found that only 5 to 10% possess that gene. Maybe it means the symptoms are more disturbing to life since almost everyone who messages here has it.

• 3 weeks later...
mamaw Community Regular

I never heard anyting rare about having only the DQ8 either. My grandson has it and the doctors at children's hospital in Pittsburgh never made any comment.

• 3 weeks later...
lisamombo Newbie

I haven't heard much about this lab, but we used the Kimball Genetics Lab. My son has 1/2 of the DQ2 allele and they claim that it is possible for him to have celiac even with only half---but rare.

Anyone know any more?

Lisa M.

mle-ii Explorer

I only have DQ8 not DQ2. I also have a gluten sensitivity gene.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daffadilly Apprentice

Do not be misled into thinking that DQ1 is "only" a gluten sensitive gene. It is as bad or worse than DQ2 or DQ8. If you read the book Dangerous Grains it goes into the gluten sensitivity and really portrays it as worse than celiac as it the umbrella that celiac disease is under.

re the son that has DQ8 & symptoms, I would bet that he also has one DQ1.

There are only two labs in the U.S. that test for DQ1, enterolab.com is one & I do not know the other one.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Do not be misled into thinking that DQ1 is "only" a gluten sensitive gene. It is as bad or worse than DQ2 or DQ8. If you read the book Dangerous Grains it goes into the gluten sensitivity and really portrays it as worse than celiac as it the umbrella that celiac disease is under.

re the son that has DQ8 & symptoms, I would bet that he also has one DQ1.

There are only two labs in the U.S. that test for DQ1, enterolab.com is one & I do not know the other one.

I have DQ1...I also have alot of damage....malabsorption was almost severe and I'm still suffering multiple intolerances. I've heard that this is a very bad gene with regards to gluten sensitivity. I dont have either DQ2 or DQ8....no Celiac genes. Along with the DQ1 I have DQ3. I've read Dangerous Grains...however, I dont recall mention of the DQ1 gene.

I'd like to know where I might find some articles on DQ1....particularly with regards to severity of symptoms. The Braintalk board was a good resource but I'm hearing its closed now. Are you from that board?

daffadilly Apprentice

Hi Rachel, yes I am from that board, geez, are they not going to get it going again? That would be a shame if they do not. If they do not, they need to move their posts to the list serv.

There were a lot of us DQ1 people on there. I have read that board everyday for the past 2 years. I am in withdrawal :blink:

& yes, DQ1 comes with the potential for a lot of damage. I was under the impression that DQ3 is a celiac gene. Also there are a couple of celiac genes that they know are out there because of people that have a biopsy diagnoses but do not have DQ1, DQ2, DQ8 or DQ3

Unfortunately I lost my hard drive early this year & I lost all my links :angry:

You could start a DQ1 thread, if there is not one already. I have not learned how to search on here etc.

I have a lot of intolerances "allergies" myself, it is worse than the no gluten, which is no problem for me because I was severely "allergic" to barley & oats since I was 25 (& that was a long time ago :lol: ) Which meant that I could not eat any wheat thing that was bought because everything has barley malt in it & I mean everything, I made my own bread etc. Then 12 years ago I met a woman that had celiac & was gluten-free & migrain free, she told me if I would quit eating wheat that my other food allergies would get better. well I resisted for awhile, but I was getting desperate ( had a bladder infection every month & was living on antibiotics) so thinking allergies, I went mostly wheat free (I was already oat & barley free). I would go to my sons house every few months & cheat - get sick, thinking allergy I would go back on my regular diet., Did this over & over for 10 years, until 2 years ago, when I was looking up Hemochromatosis. which runs in the Irish side of our family, I had just found out from a relative that we had found. From Hemochromatosis I got to celiac & what an eye opener that was. I knew I had celiac & could pick it out in my grandchildren & my family & my mother that I now know had mental issues & she died from stomach or intestinal cancer.

I have a 10 year old grandson that also has two DQ1 genes, one from my son & one from my d-i-l- who has dyslexia & her mom has IBS, osteoporosis, & a ton of other celiac symptoms - but I am the only one on the gluten-free diet. My son has had it since he was a baby but is in total denial & took his kids off the gluten-free diet after I had them on it for 6 months, well mostly - he would take them to the movies & feed them hotdogs :huh:

well this has gotten long, that is about all of my "story".

Archived