This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 Random Gluten Questions

Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Okay, so it was suggested to me yesterday that I am sensitive to gluten - not intolerant. So I've spent the better part of today reading all sorts of disheartening things on the interent. I am going to try going off gluten for a while and see how my body reacts - about how long in general does it take to notice a difference?

Second, listed on the forbidden/safe lists on this website it says that yogurt is okay, so long as it's plain. I am sitting here with a pineapple yogurt (yoplait) and i can't find anything wrong with any of the ingredients. In fact, I think all of them except for the pinapple are on the 'safe' list. Is it the "natural flavorings" that's gonna get me into trouble, or the pineapple? Or is it really okay?

Last, the list of alcohols says that Scotch Whiskey is okay. Does anyone know about Irish Whiskey? I've been on a huge Jameson kick lately.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I'm not a yogurt eater myself, so I'm not sure about yogurt in general. But yes, natural flavorings is one of the places gluten can be "hidden" in any product.

When I'm not sure about a product, I do a search on this board. Most questions about products have been asked at one time or another. I checked and I'm not seeing anything about yoplait,. Hopefully someone knows and will be able to give you some info.

When you come across a product that you're not familiar with, in some instances you can go to the product's webpage and they'll have a gluten-free product list. I checked at Yoplait ( www.yoplaitusa.com ) , and I wasn't able to find one.

Down at the bottom of the Yoplait page, there's a second chance to find information. You can see a little General Mills link. That means that Yoplait is a General Mills product. Sometimes, even if a product specific site doesn't have a list, the bigger, parent company site will. Checked at General Mills, and wasn't able to find any information there either.

At that point, what most people would do (if nobody on here has an answer for you) is either call if there's an 800 number on the product, or go to the Yoplait site and send them an email from the contact us link.

Hope that helps!

Nancy

AndreaB Contributor

As far as I understood gluten sensitivity and gluten intolerance are the same. Life long gluten free. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

rinne Apprentice

As far as the scotch goes I had one drink after two and a half weeks gluten free and woke up the next day in serious pain so I would say no, I know I won't be drinking scotch again.

4getgluten Rookie

From what I remember, Yoplait is one of those products that will clearly list wheat, rye, barley, even oats, on the ingredients if it contains any of those. When I eat Yoplait, I always check the ingredients. So far, I've never had a problem.

As for feeling better - everyone is different. I started to feel better after a few days but didn't feel 100% better for almost a year. The diet takes time to master, and your body takes time to heal. It's normal to have some ups and downs.

Keep reading the posting on this board. People here are great and very generous about sharing information. You will learn a lot. Good Luck! I hope you feel better soon.

celiac3270 Collaborator

How long it takes to see a noticeable difference depends. Could be a few days, could be a few months.

Yoplait will not hide ingredients, so the wheat wouldn't be hidden under, say, natural flavors. Yoplait is universally gluten-free, unless there is some topping that you can sprinkle on it yourself (i.e. granola in the cap). I don't think they have any such products, but those would be the only exceptions. The pineapple would certainly be gluten-free.

jabberwife Explorer

You know, that natural flavorings ingredient can be a culprit. I was surprised, positively, the other day, to see that Uncle Bens rice mixes specifically state "wheat" in parenthesis next to natural flavorings on some of their rice mixes. Sad it has wheat in it, but at least they were disclosing everything!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Non-celiac gluten sensitivity has only recently been given any medial acceptance.

It is not as well researched as Celiac (which still needs a ton more research), but doctors are being to understand that NCGS has varying levels (some severe, some very slight).

In any event, it is best for your body to 100% avoid gluten.

chris hudson Newbie

Every time I'm concerned, I just call the company. Dannon told me the only safe product they have is plain, unflavored yogurt. I'm not sure about yoplait.

lindalee Enthusiast
Every time I'm concerned, I just call the company. Dannon told me the only safe product they have is plain, unflavored yogurt. I'm not sure about yoplait.

I eat plain ( not low fat) dannon yogurt and add my fruit(blueberries, strawberries , etc) LindaLee

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I'm not sure if you're near a Wegman's grocery store, but they always list whether their gluten free products with a small G in a round circle on the upper right hand corner of the front side of their in-house products. I believe that all of they're yogurts are gluten free (and they're less expensive than yoplait).

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

If i remember correctly.. from working at Wegmans... all of their "blended" yogurts are gluten free. If you go to the webpage for Wegmans they have a gluten free list of all their products in the store. But even if you dont have time for that.. the little G will be on the left hand of the product if its Wegmans and gluten free... they also put a L for lactose free, and V for vegetarian.

queenofhearts Explorer
If i remember correctly.. from working at Wegmans... all of their "blended" yogurts are gluten free. If you go to the webpage for Wegmans they have a gluten free list of all their products in the store. But even if you dont have time for that.. the little G will be on the left hand of the product if its Wegmans and gluten free... they also put a L for lactose free, and V for vegetarian.

Why doesn't everybody do this? I wish we had a Wegmans. They'd certainly have my business.

Leah

Corkdarrr Enthusiast
Why doesn't everybody do this? I wish we had a Wegmans. They'd certainly have my business.

Leah

I would love for the little G to be posted in my grocery store. That list of no-nos is really long! And my memory is really short...

• 3 years later...
Guest Patch
Okay, so it was suggested to me yesterday that I am sensitive to gluten - not intolerant. So I've spent the better part of today reading all sorts of disheartening things on the interent. I am going to try going off gluten for a while and see how my body reacts - about how long in general does it take to notice a difference?

Second, listed on the forbidden/safe lists on this website it says that yogurt is okay, so long as it's plain. I am sitting here with a pineapple yogurt (yoplait) and i can't find anything wrong with any of the ingredients. In fact, I think all of them except for the pinapple are on the 'safe' list. Is it the "natural flavorings" that's gonna get me into trouble, or the pineapple? Or is it really okay?

Last, the list of alcohols says that Scotch Whiskey is okay. Does anyone know about Irish Whiskey? I've been on a huge Jameson kick lately.

Thanks!

I am still experimenting with foods, but I found J&B Scotch to be a No NO. I suspect that the coloring agent used by J&B, Carmel E150, is causing me symptoms. As a somewhat heavy drinker, I have concluded that only booze that is absolutely clear, i.e. vodka, gin, 100% agave tequilla, clear rum, etc is OK. Coke and other softdrinks with carmel coloring are also not good for me. I have not reached a conclusion on McCallam scotch which is supposed to be colored only by the cask, not additives. Since it cost about $50 per fifth I am slow to work the problem. I do look forward to testing it for the sake of citizen science.

• 2 weeks later...
G-freegal12 Contributor

Yoplait is good, but if you're not feeling better yet, the citric acid in the pineapple might get ya...

Gemini Experienced

Thanks!

Natural flavoring has long been mislabeled as a potential source of gluten. Here are the basics on how to figure this all out......if any product manufactured in the US contained wheat in a natural flavoring, it would have to be labeled and is usually done so in parentheses next to the food in question. Any food made outside of the US does not fall under our laws and they may use other ingredients a Celiac should not eat....in other words, you have no way of knowing what's in their product. Of course, barley is not one of the listed allergens but I have yet to see, after almost 5 years gluten-free, any food manufacturer who does not list barley as an ingredient if it's in there. If you keep up to date with info from the Celiac Foundation and other reputable sources, there are a number of things people still think contain gluten and are unsafe, when in fact they are safe to eat. It does apply to foods made in this country only.

Yoplait yogurts, for the most part, are gluten-free and the last time I checked, label them as gluten free if they are. Some of the more exotic flavors may not be but you would check before eating, like you are here. Placing a call to the company or checking their website will provide you with what you need to know, in most cases.

Whiskey is supposedly safe because it is distilled but some Celiacs report a reaction after ingesting whiskey or alcohol that is based on grains we cannot have.

I only drink red wine, which is gluten free, so cannot vouch for this. If you are drinking whiskey and it is causing no symptoms or other problems, it may be OK for you to have.

Hang in there, this is not as hard as it seems and it will become second nature after awhile! You will end up with a great education in food! ;)

lovegrov Collaborator

Yoplait is gluten-free and they say they are. Some yogurts claim their flavored ones aren't gluten-free, but that's because they have old notions that alcohol used in extracting or processing flavors is not gluten-free. This is not true. Stoneyfiled used to say only their plain yogurt was gluten-free but finally admitted flavors were OK.

Despite what one or two are saying on this thread, caramel coloring is OK. Coke is gluten-free. And you don't have to limit yourself to clear liquor. The vast majority of liquors are gluten-free due to the distilling process. Bailey's and Jamesons are.

richard

psawyer Proficient
Any food made outside of the US does not fall under our laws...

If it is sold in the US it must conform to US label regulations.

Gemini Experienced
If it is sold in the US it must conform to US label regulations.

I am not so sure about that, Pete. I have seen imported products not conforming to the regulations but didn't give it much thought because I wouldn't be eating them anyway. Specialty shops carry many imported products and not all were clear on gluten-free status. They carried the original label from their country of origin and that's all. I have also seen labels that had an attached ingredients list in English for clarification. I don't consider this all a huge deal because when in doubt, I don't eat it. There's plenty of other stuff out there that I know is gluten free so that's what I buy.

psawyer Proficient
Specialty shops carry many imported products and not all were clear on gluten-free status.
Nothing in the US regulations requires that the label be clear on gluten-free status. Barley need not be disclosed. But if one of the eight major allergens is present in a food sold in the US the presence of the allergen must be disclosed. It doesn't have to be in a separate "Contains:" list, nor does it have to be in bold type. It can be buried in the ingredients list in normal type, but it must be there. Open Original Shared Link

Archived