This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Movie Popcorn

skipper30

skipper30 Enthusiast

We are taking the boys to see Cars tonight and after stocking up on a few gluten-free candies(so I do not have to pay movie theatre price) I was wondering about the popcorn. I have searched but can not find anything onit...does anyone out there know if it is ok?? :huh:

Thanks to all...Dallas

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I remember this being talked about several months ago. All I remember is that certain theaters had certain suppliers, and some had gluten-free stuff and some didn't. Maybe if you post with the name of the Theater (Regal, Century, whatever) someone will know, or you can do a search on that.

Nancy

CarlaB Enthusiast

I've never had trouble with the popcorn (except now that I also have to be casein free). I just tell them I have food allergies and can I read the ingredients to the "butter." They've always been happy to pull out the box and let me read it. I wouldn't worry about the popcorn itself.

de caps Contributor
:( This was a very bad mistake for me. I had popcorn at a Loews theater and was sick for three days. I'll never do that again. I hope you have better luck.
skipper30 Enthusiast

It is a Malco Theatre.

I think that we may just get his with out butter...better safe than terribly sorry!!

We went to the movies about 5 months ago and didn't notice any problems then...but I also had a newborn in ICU and wasn't home a whole lot.

Thanks

sillyactsue Explorer
I've never had trouble with the popcorn (except now that I also have to be casein free). I just tell them I have food allergies and can I read the ingredients to the "butter." They've always been happy to pull out the box and let me read it. I wouldn't worry about the popcorn itself.

Hi Carla,

I noticed you said you had to go casein free. Aimee( my nearly two year old who is breastfeeding) and I have had to go casein free also. I just realized (with a magnifying glass) that the non-dairy creamer I have been using in my coffee has casein in it. AAuurrrGGGhhh.

I don't care about caffeine but I love the flavor of , well, flavored coffee. It has been my, I can have it. And now it's not. I thought if it said lactose free it wouldn't have casein either. Can you help? Is there a non-dairy flavored creamer that is gluten and casein free. What about something that tastes like butter but is non dairy? I have put all my research into gluten and now it seems I am starting all over with casein.

So, how about it? Do you have a cupa coffee for a dairy deprived, butter lovin', man I miss cookies dipped in milk kinda girl? :o

Cheri A Contributor

Sue ~ my dd is dairy free too. Try to find Vance's Dairy Free at your health food store. It's powdered and works great as a milk sub for baking and as a creamer. For the butter ~ we use Crystal Farms margarine (threw out the box) but they one that is dairy free sticks. There is also Earth's Balance in a tub at the hfs.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sillyactsue Explorer
Sue ~ my dd is dairy free too. Try to find Vance's Dairy Free at your health food store. It's powdered and works great as a milk sub for baking and as a creamer. For the butter ~ we use Crystal Farms margarine (threw out the box) but they one that is dairy free sticks. There is also Earth's Balance in a tub at the hfs.

Thanks Cheri!

I feel better just knowing there are options :)

CarlaB Enthusiast
Hi Carla,

I noticed you said you had to go casein free. Aimee( my nearly two year old who is breastfeeding) and I have had to go casein free also. I just realized (with a magnifying glass) that the non-dairy creamer I have been using in my coffee has casein in it. AAuurrrGGGhhh.

I don't care about caffeine but I love the flavor of , well, flavored coffee. It has been my, I can have it. And now it's not. I thought if it said lactose free it wouldn't have casein either. Can you help? Is there a non-dairy flavored creamer that is gluten and casein free. What about something that tastes like butter but is non dairy? I have put all my research into gluten and now it seems I am starting all over with casein.

So, how about it? Do you have a cupa coffee for a dairy deprived, butter lovin', man I miss cookies dipped in milk kinda girl? :o

Ugh, I had my second cup of coffee in three weeks of casein free today. I went to Starbucks and put in the soymilk, yuck. The other cup I had a couple weeks ago, I used Silk Creamer, and it was better than the soymilk and it was flavored. I've learned to like tea again! I go to Starbucks for their iced green tea with a single pump of classic syrup --yummy! I also make various teas at home. I look forward to other's suggestions because the soy just isn't cutting it! I've turned my "I can eat this" treat from coffee to chocolate. I buy some gluten-free dairy-free chocolate at Wild Oats and eat a small piece after every meal. Funny thing -- I don't really like candy and never ate it before, I just REALLY needed a vice after giving up coffee. Apparently the low sugar, high cocoa chocolate I'm eating is also good for digestion, but please don't tell my tastebuds because they really need something bad for them. That's the problem with this diet, it's too good for you!!! :lol:

For butter, I use Ghee if I really need the butter flavor, but I use coconut oil or olive oil for everything else. I'll even use coconut oil on gluten-free toast -- but I've always loved it! I mix coconut oil and Ghee for my at-home popcorn.

GFBetsy Rookie

Nucoa margarine is also Dairy free (for those who need to add "butter" to homemade popcorn).

killernj13 Enthusiast

How long ago was this? Before their merge with AMC? Because the popcorn was gluten-free before the merge and I believe it still is with AMC controling the operations. I've eaten there before and after the merge and have never had an issue. Could it have been something other than the popcorn? For instance, Twizzlers have wheat in them which is a hard catch for some Celiacs.

In the theory of full disclosure I am a former Loews employee who was downsized by the merge so I have no loyalty to stick up for AMC.

hez Enthusiast

I have eaten the popcorn with no butter at my local theaters (can't remember the names) with no problems. I did some searches on this forum.

Hez

Archived