This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Milk?

Guest Educator

Guest Educator

What do we use to put on our cereal and in baking recipes? Gluten-free shells and cheese calls for 1/4 c. milk. I can't do lactose, soy, rice? What is out there?? NEED HELP QUICK!!!! :o

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

I haven't used it myself but I know there is an almond "milk".

Leah

Open Original Shared Link

StrongerToday Enthusiast
I haven't used it myself but I know there is an almond "milk".

Leah

Open Original Shared Link

I *love* the almond milk!

mamatide Enthusiast
What do we use to put on our cereal and in baking recipes? Gluten-free shells and cheese calls for 1/4 c. milk. I can't do lactose, soy, rice? What is out there?? NEED HELP QUICK!!!! :o

Can you use lacteez (or lactaid) milk? I thought those were milk with lactose removed.

We use this for our celiac DD and it doesn't affect her stomach like regular milk does.

Good luck

eKatherine Rookie

I make my own Open Original Shared Link. It has more almond in it than commercial almond milk. For more body, you can add xanthan gum (as they do) or some fresh cooked rice.

Guest Educator

My thanks to all who have responded! I have never heard of almond milk. Is it in the cooler at the store or on the shelf? I will certainly give that a try. Hopefully I can find it. I know Akins doesn't have it cuz I have looked closely at all of their milks; maybe at Wild Oats. Thanks again.

Mango04 Enthusiast
My thanks to all who have responded! I have never heard of almond milk. Is it in the cooler at the store or on the shelf? I will certainly give that a try. Hopefully I can find it. I know Akins doesn't have it cuz I have looked closely at all of their milks; maybe at Wild Oats. Thanks again.

You'll be able to find it at Wild Oats. It's usually found on the shelves. Almond Breeze is really good (a bit sugary - but really good :))

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie

Generally it is sold in on the shelf in a box. I find it in any supermarket that has a decent natural and/or gluten-free section.

grrtch Rookie

hafta add my two cents for hazelnut milk.... I bet it'd be good in baked sweets, too!

Paigie Newbie

This may be a silly question, but does Almond milk taste like almonds, or milk?

dionnek Enthusiast

Neither - but it is better than rice milk :)

I don't really like any of it for drinking, but the almond milk (I've only tried the vanilla flavored) is decent for cereal and baking. Any of the alternative milks will work for baking/cooking though.

Shannon27 Newbie
You'll be able to find it at Wild Oats. It's usually found on the shelves. Almond Breeze is really good (a bit sugary - but really good :))

Almond Breeze now has unsweetened milks!! :) That makes me very happy!

Girl Ninja Newbie

I also vote for almond milk. We drank that and used it for cereal and baking when we were vegetarian. I liked it the best of all the milk alternatives.

dionnek Enthusiast

I have a silly question - I had the skin prick allergy test recently and the dr. said I was "midly" sensitive to almonds (I've never noticed any problem before, but I don't eat almonds unless they just happen to be in something). I recently bought the Almond milk (I don't really like the rice milks and am trying not to drink too much soy) - would this be a problem if I am "mildly allergic" to almonds? And what does "mildly allergic" mean anyway?! I've used it several times with a bowl of cereal, and haven't noticed any ill effects, but then again I've only been gluten-free for about 2 months and have not had much improvement anyway (still D about 5 times a day - down from 8-10 though) :)

Archived