This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better

chrissy

chrissy Collaborator

well, my daughter is still in the hospital with her eating disorder------they don't want to release her until she has gained more weight, even though she is back to the weight she was at in december. we tried to tell them that most of our children are thin and small (someone HAS to be low to get an average). we understand that she will still have ED behaviors and the "urge to purge" when she comes home.

i was not overly impressed with what i saw her eating while at the hospital. i told her clinician that i could feed her better than the hospital because we LIVE celiac at our house. i'm sure that i know more about what brands are safe and what products are good than the dietician does.

i wasn't really impressed with them feeding her white rice and celery----not alot of nutrition-----and celery has negative calories. someone made her eat the fat off of her pork chop, once. the american cheese melted between corn tortillas didn't look too exciting. (you mean people actually EAT american cheese---i thought it was only for topping hamburgers and cheese sauce) she gets ice cream---but it is usually melted by the time it reaches her. i expressed my displeasure with her diet, but they assured me she was getting the energy requirements she needs and that they were ordering in special foods every week for her. i think she has been a really good sport in eating what they give her.

kassie is 1-2 inches taller than tianna, but she only weighs 6-7 lbs more.(and she eats!) i am afraid they are expecting a weight gain that tianna will be incapable of reaching. i'd love to see more weight on both of them, but i don't know if it will happen. i think that their thinness has more to do with genetics and celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Would they be opposed to you bringing her treats? I mean, it will be more food, and tasty for her, yet she still has their supervision for more time. When she gets a bit closer to her sister's weight, then use that for your argument to get her released. I'd want her home, too. :(

Nantzie Collaborator

Nothing to add except HUGS. I agree that they should be open to you expanding her eating options.

Hope she starts feeling better soon.

Nancy

aprilh Apprentice

Something about hospitals. They are there to heal, but they have the worst nutrition on the planet!!! I don't get it.

Guest Robbin

Would they give you a copy of her meal plan? I would take her in some fresh extra foods that are in the guidelines. It is your child and you know her best. You are the boss, and paying the hospital bills, and you know what her needs are better than anyone else. Don't let them bully you or her. :) I have a problem with hospitals. They try to make care for patients like an assembly line. Take care and prayers for your daughter being sent up. :)

Cheri A Contributor

I am so glad to read an update on Tiana.. she continues to be in my prayers. I am so glad that she is getting better. I agree with the others that you should be able bring her some extra stuff in or have more input as to her meals.

queenofhearts Explorer
Something about hospitals. They are there to heal, but they have the worst nutrition on the planet!!! I don't get it.

That's so true. When my MIL was in the hospital after a heart attack, they brought her Swedish meatballs!!??

It was a mistake, but all too typical of my family's experience. When my husband was in the hospital, we used to joke, "Did you get the beige plate or the brown plate today?" Mind you, he had no dietary restrictions, but they still served him "smoothage"-- & god forbid any flavor might sneak in.

I think the best get-well gift you can get someone in the hospital is EDIBLE FOOD. I so appreciated the help of visitors who brought him his favorites. It really helped keep his spirits up.

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Gosh, so true about hospital food and nutrition. You would think it would be so much better--Chrissy, I've been wondering how Tianna was doing. I thought the same thing that Carla said--would they let you bring in some things that you know she likes? I know it is hard because you're away from home there, and don't have your own kitchen nearby, but there have to be a few things you could bring--maybe even use their microwave? Good to hear that she's being a sport and eating what they give her--especially because it dosen't sound all that appetizing! That must be so encouraging for you to know. Continued good progress to her! :)

wolfie Enthusiast

Glad that she is doing better!! I hope that she can come home soon. I agree with seeing if you can bring her in some treats, something that is safe and that she likes.

Good luck!

Archived