Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sarah8793

Do You Have Exams For Bone Density And Other Tests?

I just finished reading Dangerous Grains. In the book the authors reccomend getting a bone density test done every so many years and various other tests if you have celiac disease. I'm just wondering if any of you do this, and if you do what kinds of tests and how often do you have them? I don't want to neglect other health issues related to this.

Sarah

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sarah, I had a bone density test last year, it's no big deal. Your regular doctor orders it, it's sort of like getting an x-ray of your hips and lower spine. It is a good idea, so you know if you have osteoporosis.

I am not positive what the other tests are. But I think that checking your levels of certain nutrients is a good idea. For myself, I'd test the levels of ferretin, hemoglobin, vitamins B12, K and D, and levels of calcium and magnesium and potassium. And your blood sugar levels might be important, because celiacs appear to have a tendency to get diabetes.

I am sure others will have other ideas. My doctor will run those on me whenever I ask her to (that's what makes me appreciate her, she is not terribly knowledgable, but she does what I want, and she cares).

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sarah, I had a bone density test last year, it's no big deal. Your regular doctor orders it, it's sort of like getting an x-ray of your hips and lower spine. It is a good idea, so you know if you have osteoporosis.

I am not positive what the other tests are. But I think that checking your levels of certain nutrients is a good idea. For myself, I'd test the levels of ferretin, hemoglobin, vitamins B12, K and D, and levels of calcium and magnesium and potassium. And your blood sugar levels might be important, because celiacs appear to have a tendency to get diabetes.

I am sure others will have other ideas. My doctor will run those on me whenever I ask her to (that's what makes me appreciate her, she is not terribly knowledgable, but she does what I want, and she cares).

Thank you Ursula. I'm glad I can have my regular doc do them. I just saw a neurologist and he had my B12 checked and liver and tyroid. The thyroid results are not in but the others are within the normal ranges. I am concerned about calcium because I am casein intolerant. Do you take a calcium supplement? I also recently had blood sugar checked and found out I am hypoglycemic.

Sarah

Don't be afraid to reach for the moon. The worst that can happen is you'll miss and land among the stars.

Positive blood work

2 negative biopsies over 4 year period

Postive EnteroLab results

Lactose/Casein Intolerant

Gluten free since May 2006

Soy free since May 2007

Thank you Ursula. I'm glad I can have my regular doc do them. I just saw a neurologist and he had my B12 checked and liver and tyroid. The thyroid results are not in but the others are within the normal ranges. I am concerned about calcium because I am casein intolerant. Do you take a calcium supplement? I also recently had blood sugar checked and found out I am hypoglycemic.

Sarah

Sarah, dairy is actually NOT a good source of calcium, unless you use raw milk. The pasteurization process destroys the enzyme that allows you to take up the calcium in dairy.

There is plenty of calcium in dark green vegetables. And I am SUPPOSED to be taking a calcium supplement, but have been very negligent in taking anything lately. If I have a hard time emotionally, I get overwhelmed when I have to remember too many things. And I hate swallowing pills. But now that you mentioned it, I will try taking them again.

My bone density scan showed excellent bones though, which surprised me. Only my vitamin D was lower than it should be, but not terrible.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------