This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

? For The Parents - Re: Food Gifts

skigirl

skigirl Newbie

Hi,

I joined this site to ask this question.

My wonderful neighbors are the best neighbors ever. Both parents work and they have 4 girls. The 8 y.o. has celiac's and is also diabetic.

I want to do something nice for them because they do so many nice things for us without even batting an eye. I tend to go with the food gift theme. I'd like to make a dinner, maybe in a 9x13 pan for them to freeze and feed the whole family. They work hard and are always busy and with all the medical supplies for the 2 diabetic girls, plus tithing to their church, the girls' activities, I'm sure $ can be tight.

I've made gluten-free brownies for this girl for her birthday once. It was a Bob's Red Mill packet. She loved them. I asked her if she can still eat dishes that were baked in pans that touched gluten before. She said she is fine as long as it had been washed. I made a beef/veggie/rice soup once too when the whole family had the flu. She said her kids loved it.

So as parents, would you be very wary of a cassserole dish prepared by your neighbor? I'm looking for only gluten-free recipes. They've taught me alot about celiac disease.

Or stop making food gifts altogether; it's too risky?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

natalunia Rookie

As long as I haven't gotten sick from a neighbors gluten free cooking before and the neighbor really understands cross contamination issues and what we can and can not eat, I would feel safe eating it. Since you have made things in the past and they have had no problems, the casserole should not be a problem.

penguin Community Regular

I agree with Natalie. I think there are extra precautions you can take, though. Make sure you don't mix anything with a wooden spoon that's used for gluten cooking, don't use your collander, use a disposable foil pan (and you won't have to worry about getting your pan back), don't use a wooden or plastic cutting board that's been used to cut bread, and don't use a scratched teflon pan.

A great thing to make for them would be gluten-free lasagna, just use your favorite recipe and use tinkyada lasagna noodles, just make sure you only cook them half-way before assembling the dish. Here's my favorite lasagna recipe from allrecipes.com:

Open Original Shared Link

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil

1 teaspoon dried oregano

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste

12 dry lasagna noodles

2 eggs, beaten

1 pint part-skim ricotta cheese

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons dried parsley

1 teaspoon salt

1 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef, onion and garlic; drain fat. Mix in basil, oregano, brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until al dente; drain. Lay noodles flat on towels, and blot dry.

In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, ricotta, Parmesan cheese, parsley and 1 teaspoon salt.

Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover noodles with 1/2 ricotta mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat. Top with remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese over the top.

Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

It looks hard, but it's really not. Just use the rice noodles in place of the regular ones. It also freezes beautifully :)

skigirl Newbie

Thanks for the replies!

That is a good recipe! We have a new health food store here that has lots of gluten-free products. I'll see if those noodles are there. Would the whole family enjoy it? If I run across cheese or tomatoes that I'm not sure about I'll come on here.

About the precautions - the 8 y.o. said I could use a cutting board (even if it touched bread) as long as it was washed. Are there varying degrees of celiac? Or did she not explain it correctly? Should I cut it in a clean, non-scratched tupperware lid to be safe? I had read about the wooden spoon and collendar thing.

With those other 2 things I made, I included a list of everything in the dish and if it were in a box/jar, the name brand.

penguin Community Regular

Yes, the whole family can enjoy it, and are likely used to rice pasta by now. Also, tinkyada tastes about identical to wheat noodles, and also has the same texture. My husband eats them without complaint :)

The cutting board is another precaution. With wood, gluten can hide in the cuts of the wood made by the knife. Washing helps, but you can't be too sure, or too careful. Using a tupperware lid would work just fine, and there are also disposable cutting boards out there that you might find at the grocery store. You can find cheap utensils and collanders at the dollar store as well to guard against cc. :)

There aren't varying levels of celiac, but different levels of sensitivity. Whether one has symptoms from it or not, any gluten can be damaging. Research shows that it takes as little as 1/38 of a slice of bread to cause damage.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I would just be very clean and cautious. Make sure the area you are working at is not cluttered with things which contain gluten and check everything before putting it into their dish. If they already are eating your stuff I think they'd like the dinner, too. Good luck and thanks for being so nice and caring towards them!

Laura--G Rookie

Wow, what a good neighbor. I see your username is skigirl, where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Here's a dish my son loves:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 lb italian sausage (you can leave this out an add more ground beef if you want)

gluten-free vegetable spiral noodles

spaghetti sauce (gluten free of course)

1 can tomato sauce

1 lb mozzerella cheese

1 pkg pepperoni

Brown the beef and sausage, cook the noodles. Mix the beef, sausage, noodles, spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce together in casserole dish. Top with mozzerella cheese then top that with pepperoni. Cook at 350 until cheese is melted.

It's so easy and he loves it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'd be very 'open and honest'. Send the recipe (including the brand name and labels from any packaged foods you use) along with the item, and note the preparation - no shared wooden spoons, clean pans, etc.

skigirl Newbie
I see your username is skigirl, where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Utah

Laura--G Rookie
Utah

I was kind of hoping you would say that. We just moved to South Jodan Utah a week ago and my son is 8 and has both Celiac and Diabetes. It would be great for him to meet another kid here who is like him. Also, I need to know which doctors are good here. Please message me or have your neighbor message me if you are interested in helping me! That would be so great!

Lymetoo Contributor

yeah, where do you live? Can I move next door to you?? Please!!!!!? B)

You're a great friend!!

skigirl Newbie
I was kind of hoping you would say that. We just moved to South Jodan Utah a week ago and my son is 8 and has both Celiac and Diabetes. It would be great for him to meet another kid here who is like him. Also, I need to know which doctors are good here. Please message me or have your neighbor message me if you are interested in helping me! That would be so great!

Oh wow! I am about 100 miles north of you. I know this family goes down to SLC to see the doctors. I know they (even the parents) go to Kid's Diabetes camps and Celiac camps in the state. The kids meet all sorts of friends, that would be great for your son. I will definitely get some info from my neighbor and PM you.

Cool, welcome to Utah! I moved here 7 years ago.

Laura--G Rookie
Oh wow! I am about 100 miles north of you. I know this family goes down to SLC to see the doctors. I know they (even the parents) go to Kid's Diabetes camps and Celiac camps in the state. The kids meet all sorts of friends, that would be great for your son. I will definitely get some info from my neighbor and PM you.

Cool, welcome to Utah! I moved here 7 years ago.

Thank you so much! :D

skigirl Newbie
Thank you so much! :D

I forgot they went camping this weekend. I will get the info Monday!

Oy, after reading the CC post in the baking section I think I'll just get all new supplies at the dollar store.

Archived