This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Your Child's School Offer Gluten Free Lunches?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

I haven't tested my children yet because I am trying to decide which way is best. But if they do come back positive for gluten intolerance, I am wondering if many schools offer this option AND do you have to have a doctor's note?

Thanks,

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

There is something about this in the book I am reading right now by Danna Korn. The book is called Celiac Kids (or something like that). I am almost up to that chapter. I'll let you know what it says when I am done with it. DS will either have to pack his lunch everyday starting this fall or we will have to work with his school, if they are even willing.

eKatherine Rookie

If you were able to get them to provide gluten-free meals for your kids, would you really be able to trust them?

Sally's Mommy Newbie

Oh wow!! I could've written your post! I just tested my daughter (age 3), but I think my son who is 15, has Down syndrome, and I'm convinced has DH needs to be tested. But I can't imagine how he would ever stick to the diet. Even now, if i send a lunch from home, he finds a way to sneak and get food from the cafeteria....

I'll be interested to hear what other people have to say!

wolfie Enthusiast
If you were able to get them to provide gluten-free meals for your kids, would you really be able to trust them?

Yes, very good point. I don't know that I trust DS not to trade his gluten-free goodies for gluten-laden food either. I hope he learns to appreciate that he will feel much better if he sticks with the diet.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Yes, very good point. I don't know that I trust DS not to trade his gluten-free goodies for gluten-laden food either. I hope he learns to appreciate that he will feel much better if he sticks with the diet.

I worry about this too. And, Ekatherine brings up a good point. When I thought about it, I guess that would be one more thing I worry about as a mom. :rolleyes:

It is probably better to just pack lunches. It is hard to imagine once he is in high school not wanting to eat pizza w/ his friends. I guess I'll worry about then instead of now.

Sarah

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Public schools in Canada don't provide lunch. In fact, we are 1.2km from the school - 2 houses inside the "walk zone" even though it's a 15 minute walk for my sloooooow boys (10 if they walk quickly) and we have to pay to allow them to stay at school during lunch. If you're in the walk zone you are expected to go home for lunch or you pay a fee to stay. The bus kids get to stay because they are paying a fee for the bus. Usually about twice a month is a "fun lunch" which in the past has been Arby's sandwiches or chicken and Papa John pizza with juice and potato chips. This fall they might introduce Subway and Oreos, Chips Ahoy and Peek Freans. My one son participates in all the fun lunches and I always go to the school with a gluten-free hot lunch for my other son. Once or twice it was gluten-free pizza, but usually chicken fried rice and a stir fry.

I think at junior high and high school here they have cafeterias, but where I went to jr/sr high school the cafeteria was for eating in - just a space to eat, no food except from vending machines with milk, apples, sandwiches and junk food.

This past school year he took a bag lunch and he kept a treat bag in the teacher's desk for when someone brought in treats for birthdays, Valentine's day, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Okay, read the chapter in the book last night (or most of it ;) ) It sounds like if your school offers lunch at all, they would have to make accomodations for your child's diet and provide safe food for him/her. The child has to have a note on file from his dr stating the need for the special diet. But you still have the issue of whether or not to trust those responsible for your child's food. I agree, as your child gets older it may be a nice treat to be able to eat with his friends at school, but I don't think I would do it on a regular basis.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Okay, read the chapter in the book last night (or most of it ;) ) It sounds like if your school offers lunch at all, they would have to make accomodations for your child's diet and provide safe food for him/her. The child has to have a note on file from his dr stating the need for the special diet. But you still have the issue of whether or not to trust those responsible for your child's food. I agree, as your child gets older it may be a nice treat to be able to eat with his friends at school, but I don't think I would do it on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing this :)

Sarah

Cheri A Contributor

We were all really shocked and sad here when my daughter had to go gluten-free. It didn't take long, though, for her to realize that she felt 100% better. At 7 years old, she has only been tempted a few times to eat something that she shouldn't because she remembers the tummy aches, the vomitting etc. It's enough for her to not want those things. Hopefully it will be the same for your son.

AFA the lunches go, our school tries to be very accomodating. But with so many allergies, it is pretty hard. I pack her lunches most days. About once/month she will get the hot dog lunch (without bun). They are very willing to make substitutions too. She always picks what she wants me to send for lunch. I also keep a treat bag at school for the birthday treats.

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Public schools in Canada don't provide lunch. In fact, we are 1.2km from the school - 2 houses inside the "walk zone" even though it's a 15 minute walk for my sloooooow boys (10 if they walk quickly) and we have to pay to allow them to stay at school during lunch. If you're in the walk zone you are expected to go home for lunch or you pay a fee to stay. The bus kids get to stay because they are paying a fee for the bus. Usually about twice a month is a "fun lunch" which in the past has been Arby's sandwiches or chicken and Papa John pizza with juice and potato chips. This fall they might introduce Subway and Oreos, Chips Ahoy and Peek Freans. My one son participates in all the fun lunches and I always go to the school with a gluten-free hot lunch for my other son. Once or twice it was gluten-free pizza, but usually chicken fried rice and a stir fry.

I think at junior high and high school here they have cafeterias, but where I went to jr/sr high school the cafeteria was for eating in - just a space to eat, no food except from vending machines with milk, apples, sandwiches and junk food.

This past school year he took a bag lunch and he kept a treat bag in the teacher's desk for when someone brought in treats for birthdays, Valentine's day, etc.

This is interesting. I'm thinking that everyone bringing their own lunch would take some of the pressure off to eat what everyone else is eating. That is a plus.

Sarah

We were all really shocked and sad here when my daughter had to go gluten-free. It didn't take long, though, for her to realize that she felt 100% better. At 7 years old, she has only been tempted a few times to eat something that she shouldn't because she remembers the tummy aches, the vomitting etc. It's enough for her to not want those things. Hopefully it will be the same for your son.

AFA the lunches go, our school tries to be very accomodating. But with so many allergies, it is pretty hard. I pack her lunches most days. About once/month she will get the hot dog lunch (without bun). They are very willing to make substitutions too. She always picks what she wants me to send for lunch. I also keep a treat bag at school for the birthday treats.

Getting the hotdog without the bun is a great idea. It is good that she is so able to see how much better she feels gluten free. My 7 year old has not been tested yet (trying to decide right now). He doesn't have any of the classic digestive symptoms. However in the last 6 months he has been showing increasing signs of ADD. He has always had anxiety and intense emotions. So I don't know that he will be able to see the benefits. Hopefully.

Thank you for sharing what is working for you, :)

Sarah

momandgirls Enthusiast

I've never asked my daughter's school to try to accommodate her. She takes a lunch every day (and has for years) and feels so much better gluten free that she's never tempted to eat something she knows she shouldn't. Her school doesn't allow treats in the classroom for birthdays, etc. (because of all the kids with allergies) so that's not a problem either.

Shiba Newbie

I asked at my daughter's school, in a sort of round about way, and the cook asked why.

When I told him, he said there would be gluten-free available every day. He also said he thought there were a few kids with celiac, so it turned out great that I asked. We now know there are at least 10, maybe 12 or 15 kids with celiac. There are now gluten-free muffins, bread, wraps and he even does hot food. The hot chips are gluten-free, and cooked in a gluten-free vat - thats now the only junk food she gets<G>

It is worth asking, because the gluten-free items go, so the other celiac kids now can buy stuff at the canteen.

Even so, I usually give her cooked rice with a homemade gluten-free sauce each day - at the moment she is heavily into butter chicken, as the sauce tastes great hot or cold.

The cook also taught me how to make good gluten-free muffins (from a Basco mix).

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I asked at my daughter's school, in a sort of round about way, and the cook asked why.

When I told him, he said there would be gluten-free available every day. He also said he thought there were a few kids with celiac, so it turned out great that I asked. We now know there are at least 10, maybe 12 or 15 kids with celiac. There are now gluten-free muffins, bread, wraps and he even does hot food. The hot chips are gluten-free, and cooked in a gluten-free vat - thats now the only junk food she gets<G>

It is worth asking, because the gluten-free items go, so the other celiac kids now can buy stuff at the canteen.

Even so, I usually give her cooked rice with a homemade gluten-free sauce each day - at the moment she is heavily into butter chicken, as the sauce tastes great hot or cold.

The cook also taught me how to make good gluten-free muffins (from a Basco mix).

This is wonderful!! :) It is great to hear this. I think the world is going to slowly become more gluten free friendly.

Sarah

chasesparents Rookie

I have an interesting story. My parents have a cabin "Upnorth", and had gone to a bakery that had gluten free breads and things. At that bakery, there is a specific woman that bakes "gluten free" items for the local school because they have a celiac child there. She makes breads, buns, cakes, etc. for this child at this school. She gets paid by the district. My mom asked if she could have the recipe for the buns and breads that she bakes. Looking at the recipe, my mom immediately noticed SPELT !!!! The woman said that this child has no problems with spelt, because she uses such a tiny amount !!!!! :o CAN YOU BELIEVE IT ????? That is why I will be packing all of my son's lunches for school ! It is a nice gester of the district and this woman to do this for this one child, but spelt is a no-no for celiacs. I was shocked.

swittenauer Enthusiast

I work in a Food Service central office that serves 41 schools. All schools must provide a gluten free meal for children with a doctors note. It is a great idea to also go to the school & teach them a bit about what you need as far as your child is concerned. That would be a great help & I'm sure they could serve your child a good nutritious meal that is gluten free.

mmaccartney Explorer

The school *should* accomodate. However there are options to force them to accomodate.

Do a search on this forum, and on google for "504 plan". There is a Federal law (in the USA) that requires schools that receive Federal funding to accomodate people with disabilities. Celiac can be considered a qualifying disability under the current statutes.

we are in the process of setting up a 504 plan for my son due to his peanut allergy. We are requiring the school to do many things; no peanut policy, washing tables in the eating areas, ensuring all children wash their hands after eating, requiring any snacks to be "safe" for our son, etc.

The nice thing about the 504 plan is that once we initiate the process the school is required by law to comply with our requests. If they don't follow the plan they can lose their federal funding, and we can sue them.

Celiac can be a valid reason for a 504 plan. It can protect against things that most people wouldn't think about. For example you could require that the school not have play-dough in the classroom and use clay instead. Also you could require the school to provide safe foods.

Here is a quote from :

13. What is the 504 Plan and does my child with Celiac Disease qualify?

While most schools will work with a child with Celiac Disease to ensure recommendations are followed, in rare instances formal documentations indicating medical necessities may be needed. A 504 plan is a legal document falling under the provisions of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, designed to plan a program of instructional services to assist students with special needs who are in a regular educational setting. 504 Plan ensures the special needs of a child are taken care of while they are in school, which some parents and teachers find helpful.

The actual text of the law

Open Original Shared Link

More info on qualification from Open Original Shared Link

STUDENTS PROTECTED UNDER SECTION 504

Section 504 covers qualified students with disabilities who attend schools receiving Federal financial assistance. To be protected under Section 504, a student must be determined to: 1) have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; 2) have a record of such an impairment, or 3) be regarded as having such an impairment. Section 504 requires that school districts provide a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) to qualified students in their jurisdictions who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.

swittenauer Enthusiast

It's a shame that not all schools will work with you. It sounds like your child's school is being quite difficult. Our schools will go out of their way for food allergies but I guess we are just lucky.

mmaccartney Explorer
It's a shame that not all schools will work with you. It sounds like your child's school is being quite difficult. Our schools will go out of their way for food allergies but I guess we are just lucky.

Actually this school is being quite helpful, even the administration at the school system board is being quite helpful; and they agree that a 504 plan is "the right thing to do".

We chose to use the 504 plan for several reasons:

1) The 504 plan will follow our son through all schools that he attends.

2) Other schools might not be as willing to work with us.

3) It gives us legal recourse if the school doesn't follow the plan, while at the same time gives the school legal protection as long as they are following the plan; it truly sets the expectations and requirements in a legal document.

4) Through setting up the plan we covered so many things that we wouldn't normally have thought to address. Things like riding on the bus, field trips, substitute teachers or lunch aides, and even more important shelter in place emergencies!!! What food would the school have stored away for our son (or a child with celiac) to eat when they have to seal off the building and shelter the children for a period of time?

5) It takes a "best effort" response to a legally required response. Think of it as the food service workers "trying" to get gluten-free food for a celiac child versus the workers actually being required to order safe foods from a list that you as a parent have provided them!

Our children have the celiac gene, but aren't active celiacs (yet). I hope they never are, but in any case, the 504 plan will help if that comes to be as well.

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Just to offer another opinion: we don't have a 504. My son carries his lunch, is permitted to take it to the cafeteria walk-in himself, where there is a shelf for him (and a few other shelves for other people with food allergies). The staff warms up his food and he can skip to the front of the line (there are 900 students in his middle school) and pick it up. Over time, he's investigated what is gluten-free (the fries) and what is not (the salad dressing) so he knows what he can pick up. I talk to the staff at the beginning of each year, and we've done this since elementary with no problems at all. They could not be more well-informed or helpful to us. One cafeteria lady caught a TEACHER eating my son's food (which was under it's usual glass cover) and gave her a scolding that is legendary.

The head of our food service, who's daughter has a wheat allergy, said she would not trust such a big facility to never make a mistake. There are substitutes, fill-ins, and honest errors that no 504 would fix, and I personally don't find the prospect of litigation a very effective bargaining tool.

My son has never really minded not eating what everyone else does, and is often glad he isn't! Orginally his friends were curious, but nobody's ever been mean. And now nobody cares, it's just part of who he is.

mrsnj91 Explorer

Wow have you all opened my eyes to the future! I haven't looked past today! :rolleyes: I know in my school they have to provide food for your child but it does make me wonder how accurate they would be. I think I would be worried and reading and double reading everything. Like the spelt bread. It was the parents responsibility to make sure that food was ok. Should never rely on someone else to know 100%. I like my peanut at 16 months. I have totaly control! Wonder if I can stall time?! LOL!

eKatherine Rookie

Mmacartney, you say your school must accomodate celiacs with a 504 plan, but then you say your children do not have active celiac. Does that mean you've gotten a doctor to give them a celiac diagnosis in order to get the 504 plan in place? Aren't you concerned that being labeled as 'celiac' may haunt them later in life, especially since they may never develop the disease?

Cheri A Contributor

We don't have a 504 plan in place at our school either. I have found them very helpful and the lunch ladies all very accomodating. There was already a "peanut free lunch table" with separate bucket to wipe down the table with. They have the lines labeled as peanut-free or not and have pictures of all the kids with their allergies listed. Because of Carleigh's many allergies, I just feel better knowing that I am sending in safe things. However, like I said, I call when there is a hot dog on the list, and they substitute to get a veggie, fruit and usually a freezie for her. They also give her bottled water cuz milk is not allowed. Besides, the school lunches don't seem very nutritious to me anyway!

I guess if I experienced a hard time, then I would pursue the 504 for her, but I have not had any trouble getting them to make accomodations. Last year and this year, there are 4 kids with multiple food allergies and we all (parents and teacher) talked about how to make the class safe and what needed to be done. The nurse knows my dd and I feel confident in her care.

mmaccartney Explorer
Mmacartney, you say your school must accomodate celiacs with a 504 plan, but then you say your children do not have active celiac. Does that mean you've gotten a doctor to give them a celiac diagnosis in order to get the 504 plan in place? Aren't you concerned that being labeled as 'celiac' may haunt them later in life, especially since they may never develop the disease?

My understanding of the current disability laws, and the status of celiac as a disability lead me to take the position that the school must recognize celiac as a disability, and as such develop a 504 plan if the family requests it. The first part of the 504 plan is an assessment by the school if the child qualifies as disabled, and based on the definitions for disability that I have read, celiac surely qualifies.

You are correct, both of my children have the genes, but do not have active celiac. The 504 plan that we have my 1st child on is not for celiac, it is for his deadly peanut allergy; if he even smells peanuts he can die (A quote from his allergist Dr. Knauer in Ohio); those familiar with the "skin prick" allergy tests can understand that when we last tested him the peanut response wasn't a "little hive" about 1/4 inch or so in size. It covered his entire back, parts of his shoulders, and chest. It literally ruined all the other tests on the panel of allergens due to the response to the minute amount of allergen present. We do not have them test him for peanut anymore.

I wanted to share my expierence with the posters, and indicate that celiac was a disability and that a 504 plan should very well apply for a celiac child.

Again, our school and school system have bent over backwards to accomodate us, and quite honestly a 504 plan might not have been 100% necesarry, however we and the school system felt it would be best. It's more of a contract between you and the school about how to handle the disability. We have requirements under the plan just as the school does, and we must legally oblige them too.

We do not expect the cafeteria to feed our child. But we do expect them to diligently clean the tables, allow our child a safe place to eat, while not ostrasizing him. It also allowed us to have the bus driver have medication for him; would have been hard without the 504 plan to have a bus driver carry medication to be administered, etc.

Lymetoo Contributor

Wow, Shiba, where do you live? I'm very surprised that the school is that accommodating! I know in Texas, where I used to teach that the schools have to accommodate all learning and medical challenges, so it would make sense that they would also have to take care this. It's a medical problem.

Archived