This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depression & Fatigue Questions

Ivy

Ivy Rookie

Has anyone else had problems with depression AFTER going gluten-free, and what do you think helps that? My other question is, how long after going gluten-free did you find your energy levels improving? I realize these are personal questions, but I'm getting really put out with myself and would like to know if anyone else experienced similar problems.

Ivy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Has anyone else had problems with depression AFTER going gluten-free, and what do you think helps that? My other question is, how long after going gluten-free did you find your energy levels improving? I realize these are personal questions, but I'm getting really put out with myself and would like to know if anyone else experienced similar problems.

Ivy

Hi Ivy--I had anxiety and some depression before being diagnosed. I would say it took about 4-5 months before I saw any improvement with those. My energy levels are still not where they should be after a year. I personally think a lot depends on how long you were sick before going gluten-free. Keep at it, things will improve, really--it just takes time :)

evie Rookie

Ivy

Sure did, I was still having serious diarrhea 3 months after gluten free, that is enough to take you down energy and spirit wise. But soon after that "D" tapered off and everything started to improve, have gained back a few pounds and do not care if do not gain much more, was 15 to 20 lbs bit too heavy. My energy has not come back as fast as I had hope but I will be 78 years 9/17/06, so what can I expect?? B) many of us have felt things should improve much faster than they do and just depends on how long people have been sick and I believe the younger people will recuperate faster, it just works that way!! :) Hang in here and learn along with the rest of us, I have learned so much here from all the others who have it or have relatives/ gluten problems. Best of luck to you. evie :)

Lisa Mentor

Ivy:

What you are experiencing is very normal. You most likely have been deficient in many vit's that you body needs to function normally.

After I was dx'd, my NEW doctor gave me B-12 shots ever week for four weeks. I made a very grand difference in how I felt. Perhaps you could look into that.

Depression, yes, that is a component of celiac disease. Even thought you are on the road to recovery, it does not mean that your body is healed. I say body, and I am also refering to your brain (it is also an organ, which needs the proper food to function properly.) Everything is out of wack right now.

Be patient, try B-12 shots and if you feel you need, Lexipro works very well for me. An anti-depressant is not out of order. In any lifestyle change, there is stress and anxiety.

It will take some time to really feel like your old self again. I will be gluten free (as always, as best as I am able) since last August when dx'd. The diet gets easier, eating out never does. That's the pitts of this diet. My husband says that I am now a cheap dinner date. (Lettuce, and I bring the dressing and it takes the fun out of eating out for me). I do miss French dinners, with lots of creams and sauces.

Lucky for me, I can duplicate those dinners with a few substitutions and we do eat very well and tasty.

Hang in there, it's just a matter of time and information. :)

Lisa

taz sharratt Enthusiast

Ivy

i also had depresion after diagnoses and my energy levels went to zero really quickly, ive been gluten-free since mid may and im only just starting to feel the positive effects of a gluten-free diet. it will improve but sometimes it can take some time to feel better. stick with gluten-free diet as it will come to you and you will learn how to eat right to get the energy you need, the emotionall thing will be up and down for a while and with me gets worse if i get accidentliy glutend. this will get better over time, your doing really well, keep at it and you will soon feel the beneits. best of luck. taz.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My anxiety went through the roof about 3 months after being gluten-free. I was SO worried about everything that I ate. I was also not going out, doing things,seeing friends, etc. cause it was just easier (and less worries) to stay home. Finally I realized I was turning into crazy cat lady and was not happy. My dr. prescribed Lexapro and I feel so good now - body and mind!

murlene Rookie

Hi All, Yes, I find that my energy levels are really low, hard to take on anything extra. I have been on Lexapro for the depression and it has helped alot. I can really tell the difference. I hope you take courage in the fact that we are all in this together and care about each other! Hang in there and see your doctor for sure if the depression is bad as it's not something to fool around with. You deserve to feel good! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I too had depression and low energy. AFter struggling for a year, I finally started taking Lexapro. I have been on it two months and feel SO much better. I can definitely tell a difference. I don't have any side effects from it so far. At first I had a headache for two days and a bit of nausea for a few days. Also had insomnia for a couple of days, but since then it has really helped. I am a natural girl and had tried EVERYTHING. I finally started taking it for my digestive system, because some of my continued stomach problems seemed to be stressed related. It was a vicious cycle. I have been gluten free for over a year now.

Hang in there.

Monica

kbtoyssni Contributor

I first noticed that my depression and fatigue were gone about eight months after going gluten-free. I suppose it was gradually getting better that whole time. One day I woke up and realized that my life was so much better!

bluejeangirl Contributor

Ivy,....Have you suffered from depression before? Some people get depressed because they miss the foods they once ate if thats what you mean. I don't think you do though, I'm guessing its probably due to not getting the nutrients from the foods you ate. Make sure you take suppliments and especially B-vits that are yeast free.

Look into maintaining your blood sugar levels at an even keel. I made that mistake, I got caught up in a thread that everyone named their favorite gluten free food. I ended buying all these new interesting gluten free mixes and cookies, snacks and cereals. Before you know it I was all weepy and cried over every little thing. Well I was having highs and lows from spikes in blood sugars. You can google hypoglycemia or read up on low carb diets.

Natural mood lifters SAMe, St. Johns Wort, Kava, 5 htp, and a nice strong cup of coffee works for me at times...but one cup.

And many have been helped by anti depressants, I know my sister has. I'll leave that advice up to those who follow it. I don't know enough about it.

I hope you find you path to healing,...dn't be hard on yourself, you are loved. There is a reason for everything. God's got a plan for your life thats specific only to you.

gail

debbiewil Rookie

Depression and fatigue can both be signs of hypothyroidism, which is often associated with celiac. If you think that might be your problem, ask for the blood tests. You need Free T3, Free T4 and antibody tests, as hypothyroid can be an autoimmune disease (Hashimoto's hypothyroidism). The doctor my want to do TSH test, which may give false negatives, Total T3 and T4 tests, or Uptake testst none of which really useful. Insist on the Frees.

Debbie

KCMISSINBREAD Newbie
:( HAVING THOSE SYMTOMS NOW. JUST DXS LAST 6MOS. NOT FEELING SO HOT AND JUST WHEN YOU THINK ITS A GOOD DAY THINGS TURN CRAZY. EXCESSIVE BLOAT, CRYING, HEADACHE, ECT. ONLY 33 TOO YOUNG FOR THIS. JUST TRYING TO COPE DAILY. ANYONE KNOW OF SUPPORT GROUP IN MO. OR KS.
jknnej Collaborator

I think there must be something going on with going gluten free.

After going gluten free 18 months ago, my stomach felt better than it had my entire life.

BUT I started getting depression and anxiety which I had not experienced before. I think it is because a lot of carbs have gluten and carbs affect levels of serotonin in your brain.

Anyhow, I personally tried everything in the book to get rid of it and finally after the recommendation of 2 doctors, started anti-depressants. I take Lexapro now. I am now the happiest I have ever been because my stomach feels better and I am no longer depressed or suffering from terrible anxiety like I was.

Archived