This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Had Enough Of Feeling So Rubbish

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

sorry in advance that this will seem like I'm feeling very sorry for myself....I am!

Well, as of this week I've been gluten-free for 6 months. I 'celebrated' it by being glutened - my own stupid mistake as I didn't check the label :angry: This coicncided with me coming off my antidepressants. I was doing really well last week, but this week have been feeling totally exhausted and crying loads. then my monthly 'friend' came along and is really heavy and making me feel really blugh. Yesterday and today I've been so exhausted I can hardly move and am just crying loads.

Could the glutening have made things worse with the coming off my meds? I was feeling so much better and the psych said I could come off them - I was gradually cuting down as she said. And now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I really want to feel well enough to try for another baby, but at the moment I'm struggling just to exist :(

And it's not as if I've even got anything to be sad about.

Thanks for listening if you've made it this far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Ouch, getting glutened all by itself could make you feel that bad, but getting off your antidepressant at the same time sure wouldn't help, and neither would getting your period. What a combination! :blink:

Hang in there, I am sure it will get better within a few days!

taz sharratt Enthusiast
sorry in advance that this will seem like I'm feeling very sorry for myself....I am!

Well, as of this week I've been gluten-free for 6 months. I 'celebrated' it by being glutened - my own stupid mistake as I didn't check the label :angry: This coicncided with me coming off my antidepressants. I was doing really well last week, but this week have been feeling totally exhausted and crying loads. then my monthly 'friend' came along and is really heavy and making me feel really blugh. Yesterday and today I've been so exhausted I can hardly move and am just crying loads.

Could the glutening have made things worse with the coming off my meds? I was feeling so much better and the psych said I could come off them - I was gradually cuting down as she said. And now I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

I really want to feel well enough to try for another baby, but at the moment I'm struggling just to exist :(

And it's not as if I've even got anything to be sad about.

Thanks for listening if you've made it this far.

what a bummer, all 3 the antidepressants the period and the glutening can m,ake things 10 times worse, the antdepressants i dont know but the period and the glutening will pass and you will feel better soon. i cry a lot too when glutend and get angry with it and myself, dont be too hard on yourself your only human. best of luck and i hope you fell better quickly

nettiebeads Apprentice

Glad to give you a listen and a cyber hug. What you're feeling now won't last forever. It's just getting through it that's so hard. I tried to get off of my antidepressent (zoloft) but I couldn't. Period. But I sure can relate to the adjustment part and of course the depression caused by glutening. Whenever it happens to me, I'm sure I'm the most horrible person in the world and can't understand why my husband could stand to live with me. But it passes. Just take it one day at a time, or even an afternoon or evening. Do something that always makes you feel better - baking, reading, watching comedies, anything. Think of it as recovering from an illness like the flu - I always take time to indulge myself then. You can get back to the daily grind of chores and such - they'll wait for you!

Take care and hope you're better soon.

Annette

queenofhearts Explorer

Poor Suzie, that's really a triple-whammy! For me the PMS stuff is enough to send me to the depths. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night about 2 days before my period, completely convinced that everything I have ever done has been a horrible mistake & I've ruined the lives of everyone I know. The feeling is overwhelming & very convincing, & has absolutely nothing to do with what is actually going on in my life at the time-- I can be doing great the day before & then BOOM. Over the years I've learned enough to tell myself, "these are the hormones talking." But at the time, even when I say it, I don't believe it! Still, the experience of coming out of this state & surviving, month after month, has given my conscious mind just enough power to talk myself out of taking any action when I'm in this state. It's really rather scary though, how utterly awful I feel. I've been on antidepressants in the past, & they dulled the intensity of the feelings, but didn't eliminate them totally. Coming off of the meds was a bit of a rebound problem, but in my case it passed very quickly. Hope it does the same for you. Hang in there!

Leah

taz sharratt Enthusiast
Poor Suzie, that's really a triple-whammy! For me the PMS stuff is enough to send me to the depths. I tend to wake up in the middle of the night about 2 days before my period, completely convinced that everything I have ever done has been a horrible mistake & I've ruined the lives of everyone I know. The feeling is overwhelming & very convincing, & has absolutely nothing to do with what is actually going on in my life at the time-- I can be doing great the day before & then BOOM. Over the years I've learned enough to tell myself, "these are the hormones talking." But at the time, even when I say it, I don't believe it! Still, the experience of coming out of this state & surviving, month after month, has given my conscious mind just enough power to talk myself out of taking any action when I'm in this state. It's really rather scary though, how utterly awful I feel. I've been on antidepressants in the past, & they dulled the intensity of the feelings, but didn't eliminate them totally. Coming off of the meds was a bit of a rebound problem, but in my case it passed very quickly. Hope it does the same for you. Hang in there!

Leah

queen of heatrs, i get the same pms symptoms as you, you go aroung in a daze the whole time you are on your period with disastrous thoughts about people and the things you have done, it can drive you crazy.

covsooze Enthusiast

thank you for your kind thoughts everyone. What would I do without you? :D

Luckily I don't have to go into work tomorrow. I've got the day off as it's DH's 40th :o His treat is a meal at a wonderful resteraunt that has a gluten free menu ;):D

On the subject of PMS, does anyone else get ridiculously hungry the day before their period? I always know when I'm about to start, as I could eat 2 horses (as opposed to the usual 1!). I get extremely irritable. I didn't used to be like that before being pregnant with DS/ onset of celiac disease.

Susie x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hi

If you dont mind me asking what anti depressant were you taking. most antidepressants especially the ssri's can give you withdrawl effects when you go off them that is often worse than the symptoms you had to begin with. this especially happens if you go of them quickly and dont titrate them down like lets you take 40 mg, then you go to 30, then 20 then 10 then 5 rather than going from 40 to 20 to nothing.

i have both professional and personal experience with this. when i tried to go off zoloft, i was sobbing all the time and felt horrible. if you google withdrawal and antidepressants there is alot of information on this.

i hope you feel better soon ! :)

Jess

covsooze Enthusiast

Thanks Jess. I've been taking escitolopram (sp?!). It took ages for me to find one that didn't give me horrendous side effects. Hopefully this past week has just been a combination of horrible things that will pass...it doesn't help that DS has decided to get up at 5.30am - sleep deprivation is the real killer for me.

Archived