This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Something Is Not Right

Guest BERNESES

Guest cassidy
Nope- just plain chicken with salt and pepper. KFC? Are you kidding? :P I wish!!!!

The antibiotic I was on was keflex which is known for C diff (lucky me). I double checked last night and it was gluten-free. The prpblem si you are supposed to take probiotics with food and I can't eat right now. Ugh! can you get them in liquid form? supposed to hear back from the doctor within the hour. the nurse also said no sugar, no fat, bland as possible.

I don't take my probiotics with food. I take them on an empty stomach all the time. The ones I have say it doesn't matter. Have you tried Kefir? It is like liquid yogurt and has lots of good bacteria and I would call it a liquid probiotic. Sometimes I don't want to eat, but I can make myself drink something and this is balances with calories and protein.

Hope you feel better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BERNESES
I don't take my probiotics with food. I take them on an empty stomach all the time. The ones I have say it doesn't matter. Have you tried Kefir? It is like liquid yogurt and has lots of good bacteria and I would call it a liquid probiotic. Sometimes I don't want to eat, but I can make myself drink something and this is balances with calories and protein.

Hope you feel better.

Thanks cassidy- quick question. If lactose is currently a problem, would kefir be? I've heard GREAT things about it.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Why would you have a bacterial infection like C Diff (I think that is a bacterial thing) when you just took antibiotics which kill bacteria? That doesn't make sense to me.

C.Diff is a bad bacteria that is unaffected by most antibiotics. When the good bacteria are killed off....C.Diff can explode. You then have an overgrowth of a very bad bacteria.

loraleena Contributor

You may have candida (yeast overgrowth) do to the antibibiotics. You can read about all the possible symptoms on the web.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Beverly,

About the chicken,

If you did have an overgrowth of some kind due to the antibiotics you would likely be exacerbating the problem if you're eating plain chicken which is not organic. It would be loaded with antibiotics and other crap that can definately make you sick (and continue to kill off good bacteria).

Guest BERNESES
Beverly,

About the chicken,

If you did have an overgrowth of some kind due to the antibiotics you would likely be exacerbating the problem if you're eating plain chicken which is not organic. It would be loaded with antibiotics and other crap that can definately make you sick (and continue to kill off good bacteria).

Didn't even think of that- thanks Rachel!!!!!

StrongerToday Enthusiast

This is the acidophulus (sp) that I take, it is recommended by my homeopathic MD. I take it twice a day, mixed into water. I usually have a glass in the morning (empty stomach) and one at dinner. I figure that way the little guys are getting in either way!! It does not indicate on the bottle if you should take it with or without food. It is Dairy free.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Green12 Enthusiast

Berneses,

I don't have anything to add here, everyone has given such great advice and information. I'm just here for the support :lol:

I hope you feel better real soon :)

eleep Enthusiast

I was just about to say the same thing that Julie did! Thinking of you!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Beverly, I found this online when I did a search for "Kefir ingredients"

The beneficial lactic bacteria that are present in kefir make it particularly easy to digest ...so the smooth potable is a perfect food for expectant mothers, colicky babies, invalids, and anyone else who might not be able to tolerate regular milk.

I, unfortunately, can't have it because of the casein! Anyone know of "non-dairy" kefir???? <_<

What's the story behind the new avatar???? I loved the old pic!!

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Please do explain your avatar to us today, Bev....glad to see you've still got your sense of humour..... :lol:

Green12 Enthusiast
I, unfortunately, can't have it because of the casein! Anyone know of "non-dairy" kefir???? <_<

You can make kefir out of any milk substitute, rice milk, or coconut milk (the milk from young coconuts) for example. You just need a kefir starter.

Guest BERNESES

Oh... what would I do without you guys???? Thanks so much for all the advice and good thoughts. I took some acidopholus on an empty stomach and that seems to have gone much better than on a full tummy. Phew! Bought some Kefir- made the mistake of buying the plain, unflavored. Ewwww!!!!!!!!! Oh well. Dropped off a sample for C Diff test.

The new avatar is from Costa Rica. When we went there, those bottlew were what they stored the lawn mower gasoline in. I think it was an old laundry detergent bottle. Maybe it's SUCH a powerful detergent that it scares the dirt right off your clothes!!!!!! Anyway, we thought it was a hoot. I'm currently working on a new avatar, but if you need Xena Princess Warrior back I can oblige. :P:P:P:P:P

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

HOW ARE YOU FEELING TODAY BEV???

MY CHIRO ALWAYS SAYS 'TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH' WITH THE KIND SHE GIVES ME...

SHE SAID IT 'CLEARS THE WAY TO MAKE THE COLON HAPPY BEFORE THE FOOD ARRIVES.

LOVE AND HUGS

jUDY

Guest BERNESES

I'm doing a little better I think. I tolerated some rice, gluten-free toast and plain antibiotic free chicken yesterday (thank you Rachel for that advice) but I soaked the sheets like crazy last night even with the AC on. Woke up nauseous as all heck, but took a shower for the first time in three days. At this point, i would just prefer an IV of all the food I need so it could pass my digestive system. :P

Started taking the acidopholus last night on an empty stomach and it seems to go much better. I also broke open the caplets and just poured the powder in water. I figure if stomach acid doesn't destroy it, why would water? :P

Just tired and HOT...Thanks Judy. You are a luv, B

lindalee Enthusiast
I'm doing a little better I think. I tolerated some rice, gluten-free toast and plain antibiotic free chicken yesterday (thank you Rachel for that advice) but I soaked the sheets like crazy last night even with the AC on. Woke up nauseous as all heck, but took a shower for the first time in three days. At this point, i would just prefer an IV of all the food I need so it could pass my digestive system. :P

Started taking the acidopholus last night on an empty stomach and it seems to go much better. I also broke open the caplets and just poured the powder in water. I figure if stomach acid doesn't destroy it, why would water? :P

Just tired and HOT...Thanks Judy. You are a luv, B

Bev, Have you tried elliminating corn syrup and sugar? Yeast loves and thrives on sugar. Treating for the yeast and eliminating foods should heal it and put it in remission (calm down) The diet I am on is no grains, no night shade. After the gut flora is restored your body should stop rejecting food proteins. Juicing and rest may help. Anti yeast products-oil of oregano and olive leaf...probiotics and noni juice and apple cider vinegar(unpasturized). Take probiotics before breakfast and after evening meal. I think the National Institute of Health and the National Library of Medicine discusses disbiosis and how it leads to disease and how probiotics corrects this. Hope you feel better. LindaLee

Guest BERNESES
Bev, Have you tried elliminating corn syrup and sugar? Yeast loves and thrives on sugar. Treating for the yeast and eliminating foods should heal it and put it in remission (calm down) The diet I am on is no grains, no night shade. After the gut flora is restored your body should stop rejecting food proteins. Juicing and rest may help. Anti yeast products-oil of oregano and olive leaf...probiotics and noni juice and apple cider vinegar(unpasturized). Take probiotics before breakfast and after evening meal. I think the National Institute of Health and the National Library of Medicine discusses disbiosis and how it leads to disease and how probiotics corrects this. Hope you feel better. LindaLee

Thanks lindalee- i am not consuming any sugar at all. Not even honey- just using Equal in my iced tea. Good to know about olive oil and oregano. I LOVE both. Doing the probiotics by breaking open the capsule and pouring the contents in a glass and drinking it.

I ate some potatoes today. These are pretty much my safest foods. When i say tolerate I mean I kept them down, not they made me feel better. :(

Took some phenergan (anti-nausea) this a.m. Usually, it constipates me but not this time. Still have the D.

Having trouble sleeping. For some reason when I get sick, i have more trouble sleeping. :angry:

Talked to my GI as well. She said probably C Diff and that I need to do three cultures (I only did 1) but since I am so symptomatic she would recommend treating me for C Diff with Flagyl.

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice and support. I'll keep you posted. Hugs, Beverly

miles2go Contributor
Hi. My son just went through TOO many rounds of antibiotics and it very much screwed him up. Check out the C Diff, it's becoming more prevalant and Kevlex is an intense antibiotic. It took a few months for him to get better. I have problems with cooked rice; maybe that's not helping? Hope you are well soon!

lisa (from Maine, not so far from P'mouth!)

It is very hazy, hot and humid in Orono and this weekend I had what I thought was allergy-induced fever, nausea, headache, fatigue and all that wonderful stuff. Turns out that there's a nasty bug going around.

Antibiotics and I are not very good friends.

Garlic and lavender oil!

Garlic and lavender oil!

Of course, not together and if your son isn't doing better on those...

Anyway, glad to see another Maineuh!

:)

CarlaB Enthusiast
You can make kefir out of any milk substitute, rice milk, or coconut milk (the milk from young coconuts) for example. You just need a kefir starter.

Where do you find kifir starter?

Beverly, I like kifir poured over frozen blueberries ... I usually buy vanilla, but it might spruce up your plain a little. The kifir freezes up and it makes a nice dessert or snack!

lindalee Enthusiast
Thanks lindalee- i am not consuming any sugar at all. Not even honey- just using Equal in my iced tea. Good to know about olive oil and oregano. I LOVE both. Doing the probiotics by breaking open the capsule and pouring the contents in a glass and drinking it.

I ate some potatoes today. These are pretty much my safest foods. When i say tolerate I mean I kept them down, not they made me feel better. :(

Took some phenergan (anti-nausea) this a.m. Usually, it constipates me but not this time. Still have the D.

Having trouble sleeping. For some reason when I get sick, i have more trouble sleeping. :angry:

Talked to my GI as well. She said probably C Diff and that I need to do three cultures (I only did 1) but since I am so symptomatic she would recommend treating me for C Diff with Flagyl.

Thanks to everyone who's offered advice and support. I'll keep you posted. Hugs, Beverly

Try olive leaf not the olive oil, ok? Valerian helps me sleep and calcium and magneisim and epson salt bath. LL

Oh, I also use some lavendar spray on my pillow before sleep. It relaxes me and off I go.............LL

BeckyW Contributor

Can someone please suggest what can be taken for yeast over growth and an actual brand name? Nothing with grapefruit or garlic though.

Thank you!

Guest BERNESES
Can someone please suggest what can be taken for yeast over growth and an actual brand name? Nothing with grapefruit or garlic though.

Thank you!

I take Natrol probiotics. It says clearly on the label no yeast, gluten, dairy, soy, corn. Also, Renew Life makes a candida cleanse.

I take their IntestiNew with L-glutamine and I really like it.

BeckyW Contributor

Thank you and I hope you are starting to feel better soon!

jaten Enthusiast

I just read your post Beverly...I am so sorry! You have certainly been through a lot. :o FloraQ is the probiotic my GI gives me. I take it twice a day (as needed like when on antibiotics, etc.) and always on an empty stomach. It helps me tremendously. Hopefully you'll be good as new soon. Hugs!

wozzy Apprentice
I take Natrol probiotics. It says clearly on the label no yeast, gluten, dairy, soy, corn. Also, Renew Life makes a candida cleanse.

I take their IntestiNew with L-glutamine and I really like it.

I thought I heard somewhere that celiacs don't tolerate L-glutamine well... But maybe someone just made that up?

I don't mean to change the subject, though! I hope you feel better.

Archived