This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Dumping Syndrome Related To Celiac Disease?

Sarah8793

Sarah8793 Enthusiast

After reading a response on one of my other posts about dumping syndrome, I did some research and now I think I may have this. I am wondering how many others may have this and if it is caused by celiac disease or gluten intolerance, AND if it gets better after long term gluten free.

Sarah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jnclelland Contributor
After reading a response on one of my other posts about dumping syndrome, I did some research and now I think I may have this. I am wondering how many others may have this and if it is caused by celiac disease or gluten intolerance, AND if it gets better after long term gluten free.

Sarah

Sorry to be dense, but what's dumping syndrome? (I can imagine, but is this a formal diagnosis?)

Jeanne

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Sorry to be dense, but what's dumping syndrome? (I can imagine, but is this a formal diagnosis?)

Jeanne

:D This was my response the first time I heard it also. Yes it is a diagnosis and if you google it you can find more info.

Sarah

eleep Enthusiast

Okay, how many of us just did google it? (raises hand).

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I read a few articles after googling "dumping syndrome". From this bit of information, it appears that this is a result of stomach surgery.

I know, many of us experience "dumping" :D but I don't think it's the same thing. Just my opinion.

Green12 Enthusiast
Okay, how many of us just did google it? (raises hand).

:lol: I did!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I'm just waiting for someone who googled it to tell us what in the world it is . . . . too tired to google anything today! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm just waiting for someone who googled it to tell us what in the world it is . . . . too tired to google anything today! :rolleyes:

Here ya go Lynne--

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/930606151.html

Hey . . . that stuff happens to me while I'm eating . . . . It feels like I have a huge balloon in my stomach and chest and then BINGO . . . it's off to the races.

Thanks, Patti -- you're a Peach Melba. (that's a good thing!)

jerseyangel Proficient
Hey . . . that stuff happens to me while I'm eating . . . . It feels like I have a huge balloon in my stomach and chest and then BINGO . . . it's off to the races.

Thanks, Patti -- you're a Peach Melba. (that's a good thing!)

I aim to please, Ma'm! :D

evie Rookie

Dumping syndrome: I was diagnosed/ it in May by standing in front of a nuclear med machine. I had been having daily (many) diarrhea sessions so Dr. ordered the tests + ultrasound. Tests that I COULD WATCH ON COMPUTER OFF TO MY LEFT SHOWED THE SHINY ITEMS I swallowed in water traveling down thru my tummy and on down. they went soo fast!! :angry: Dr. said you need to eat small meals 6 times a day & after 6 weeks or so things slowed down and I stopped having diarrhea. Also stopped losing weight too, he was right!! :) Best of luck with your problem too. evie

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Dumping syndrome: I was diagnosed/ it in May by standing in front of a nuclear med machine. I had been having daily (many) diarrhea sessions so Dr. ordered the tests + ultrasound. Tests that I COULD WATCH ON COMPUTER OFF TO MY LEFT SHOWED THE SHINY ITEMS I swallowed in water traveling down thru my tummy and on down. they went soo fast!! :angry: Dr. said you need to eat small meals 6 times a day & after 6 weeks or so things slowed down and I stopped having diarrhea. Also stopped losing weight too, he was right!! :) Best of luck with your problem too. evie

Hi Evie,

It was one of your replies to my posts that got me thinking about this. What I have read about this often points to it as being a result of stomach surgery. If you don't mind me asking, did you have any kind of stomach surgery or do you think it is just a result of celiac? Thanks,

Sarah

Oh, I don't think that's what it is that I have, then . . . . mine is just like a balloon fills the top of my stomach . . . I get pretty bad chest pain, then I (often) vomit. Don't think that's the same . . . .

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Oh, I don't think that's what it is that I have, then . . . . mine is just like a balloon fills the top of my stomach . . . I get pretty bad chest pain, then I (often) vomit. Don't think that's the same . . . .

Mine feels like that, but comes out the other end :lol:

Kaycee Collaborator

Well I googled and looked up dumping syndrome. It sounds pretty familiar to me. It feels like the whole of my intestines have been emptied. I get stomach cramps and then gurgles in my stomach on the left hand side, and I can feel things working their way down. Then it is off to the loo I go.

I first experienced this when I was a teenager, at least 30 years ago. After a session, I was usually, fine, a bit drained, but no more cramps. It is not a common event for me, once every few months, and is usually in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure what caused it. I used to blame chocolate, stress or food that is too rich. It was worse when I was pregnant. I have not been diagnosed with dumping syndrome, and neither did I go to look for an answer, but it sounds so much like it.

Just previous to being diagnosed with coeliac, I'd be having it more often, and since being gluten free, I hardly have had any dumping sessions, and when I did, last time it was after a peanut slab, you know a chocolate bar with peanuts in, but I tend to now blame the dumping on the gluten. Maybe it is not the gluten, but it does not happen as often now, and the diahrhea is going too.

Don't know if that answers your question.

Cathy

Also, I exprienced dumping before I had any abdominal surgery. So that was not my reason for it.

Cathy

Kaycee Collaborator

I am interested in this topic and don't want it to dissappear. Naturally I thought my dumping, (not a regular thing by no means, but when it happened it was exactly as mentioned.) was related to coelaic once I had been diagnosed with it.

I had not had surgery when it had started, and blamed my dumping on eating too much rich stuff, or when I get stressed, I thought things went straight to my stomach. It talks about undigested food going straight through, and when you think of it, being coeliac, a lot of our food went through quite undigested before we were diagnosed, and therefore it could be coeliac related.

But I am no doctor.

Bad week this week, all I want is to eat what I can't eat. So far have resisted, but the dream I had last night could be enough to satisfy that craving, as I dreamt I ate a slice of bread. I had the chance to spit it out, but I thing, no, I am eating it. At least it was only a dream.

And Sarah, what are your symptoms and how often does it occur. Has it made a difference being gluten free. It has with me, but then again, I can not eat as much rich stuff as I did before. The stress is still here, but it does not go straight to my stomach.

When we were young, there was a joke about our family having cast iron stomachs. We could eat anything and everything. Oh to be there again, as it appears a lot of my family have strange stomaches as we get older. Mainly the females, maybe we just moan a lot more

Cathy

Oh, Cathy, don't eat gluten!!!! You'll have to start back at square one . . . Not Good!!!!! :blink::blink:

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
I am interested in this topic and don't want it to dissappear. Naturally I thought my dumping, (not a regular thing by no means, but when it happened it was exactly as mentioned.) was related to coelaic once I had been diagnosed with it.

I had not had surgery when it had started, and blamed my dumping on eating too much rich stuff, or when I get stressed, I thought things went straight to my stomach. It talks about undigested food going straight through, and when you think of it, being coeliac, a lot of our food went through quite undigested before we were diagnosed, and therefore it could be coeliac related.

But I am no doctor.

Bad week this week, all I want is to eat what I can't eat. So far have resisted, but the dream I had last night could be enough to satisfy that craving, as I dreamt I ate a slice of bread. I had the chance to spit it out, but I thing, no, I am eating it. At least it was only a dream.

And Sarah, what are your symptoms and how often does it occur. Has it made a difference being gluten free. It has with me, but then again, I can not eat as much rich stuff as I did before. The stress is still here, but it does not go straight to my stomach.

When we were young, there was a joke about our family having cast iron stomachs. We could eat anything and everything. Oh to be there again, as it appears a lot of my family have strange stomaches as we get older. Mainly the females, maybe we just moan a lot more

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

A few months ago, before I was diagnosed through EnteroLab, I was diagnosed with my GP with hypoglycemia. My chief symptom was feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I began keeping a food journal and noticed immediately that I had intense symptoms after eating bread. I took all gluten out of my diet and I have been getting better ever since. Lately I have noticed that I only get the hypoglycemia symptoms when I eat a large meal. If I snack all day it doesn't happen. I've also been able to add sugar back to my diet with no problems (usually when you have hypoglycemia you can't have it). Then I read Evie's response to my post about eating smaller meals and she talked about dumping syndrome. I looked it up and saw that dizziness and hypoglycemia after large meals were symptoms. I also get fatigue after large meals. And, sometimes just the act of eating sends me to the restroom. I don't have the big D per say, but just that sometimes I get sudden cramping and a very quick urge to go. These are the symptoms I believe are related to dumping syndrome if I have it. Like you said, Stress and rich foods seem to provoke the same symptoms also. So now I'm thinking that this is all a result of celiac disease and am excited at the concept of getting rid of all of it with a prolonged gluten free diet.

Atleast we can dream about bread huh? :lol:

Sarah

Kaycee Collaborator
Hi Cathy,

A few months ago, before I was diagnosed through EnteroLab, I was diagnosed with my GP with hypoglycemia. My chief symptom was feeling dizzy and lightheaded. I began keeping a food journal and noticed immediately that I had intense symptoms after eating bread. I took all gluten out of my diet and I have been getting better ever since. Lately I have noticed that I only get the hypoglycemia symptoms when I eat a large meal. If I snack all day it doesn't happen. I've also been able to add sugar back to my diet with no problems (usually when you have hypoglycemia you can't have it). Then I read Evie's response to my post about eating smaller meals and she talked about dumping syndrome. I looked it up and saw that dizziness and hypoglycemia after large meals were symptoms. I also get fatigue after large meals. And, sometimes just the act of eating sends me to the restroom. I don't have the big D per say, but just that sometimes I get sudden cramping and a very quick urge to go. These are the symptoms I believe are related to dumping syndrome if I have it. Like you said, Stress and rich foods seem to provoke the same symptoms also. So now I'm thinking that this is all a result of celiac disease and am excited at the concept of getting rid of all of it with a prolonged gluten free diet.

Atleast we can dream about bread huh? :lol:

Sarah

Well, Sarah, you did not get much response about dumping. And that is precisely what it feels like. Now that I think I have it, even though I mentioned the urgency and the cramps as one of my symptoms at the doctors, he didn't do a double take and say whoa, do I just sit on it, or what. Yes overeating would always be the key to getting it, if I didn't overeat I would have no problems. I don't think I have hypoglycemia, as the other symptoms do not seem to be there. I do not eat very much sugary stuff now, and my energy levels seem to be fine

I don't overeat now, as there is nothing worth indulging in, I don't seem to suffer, I am quite glad, that food not longer has such a big pull on me, and that I am coping usually quite well being gluten free. My whole relationship with food has changed

I got told today that I was getting skinny, now that is a laugh, 12 stone and being told I was getting skinny! I love her for saying that. But she could be right, I am loosing it slowly.

Yes we can dream about bread, but I would not willingly eat it. I hope not. At least having been diagnosed only recently, I can remember what things taste like and I do like to smell things that other people are eating, but never would I smell bread, I can't stand the smell of it anymore, in the supermarket I have to avoid that aisle, as it stinks.

Cathy

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Well, Sarah, you did not get much response about dumping. And that is precisely what it feels like. Now that I think I have it, even though I mentioned the urgency and the cramps as one of my symptoms at the doctors, he didn't do a double take and say whoa, do I just sit on it, or what. Yes overeating would always be the key to getting it, if I didn't overeat I would have no problems. I don't think I have hypoglycemia, as the other symptoms do not seem to be there. I do not eat very much sugary stuff now, and my energy levels seem to be fine

I don't overeat now, as there is nothing worth indulging in, I don't seem to suffer, I am quite glad, that food not longer has such a big pull on me, and that I am coping usually quite well being gluten free. My whole relationship with food has changed

I got told today that I was getting skinny, now that is a laugh, 12 stone and being told I was getting skinny! I love her for saying that. But she could be right, I am loosing it slowly.

Yes we can dream about bread, but I would not willingly eat it. I hope not. At least having been diagnosed only recently, I can remember what things taste like and I do like to smell things that other people are eating, but never would I smell bread, I can't stand the smell of it anymore, in the supermarket I have to avoid that aisle, as it stinks.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I think that not a lot of people have heard of it. It is probably one of those things that if your doctor knows a lot about it then he would test for it. Since it can be controlled very well just by avoiding large meals, I proabably won't pursue it with a doctor either. It is interesting though. Thanks for helping me explore this subject. Just like you my eating preferences have totally changed since gettting gluten out of my diet. I no longer crave anything. I used to eat food simply because it tasted good and gave me goood (but temporary) feeling. Now I eat functionally. In other words, I eat to nourish my body and nothing more. It is an amazing change. And the best part is--I don't miss the old way. :)

Sarah

Kaycee Collaborator

Now I eat functionally. In other words, I eat to nourish my body and nothing more. It is an amazing change. And the best part is--I don't miss the old way. :)

Sarah

• 13 years later...
Teresa Marie Newbie

Hi, I am not sure if just gluten sensitive or have Celiac. Been going gluten free for a few months, however, I have texture issues with a lot of gluten-free items. Sooo, yes I have been eating gluten again. But I am finding when I do??? I have extreme intestinal turmoil? And what I eat, must come out!! Is it Dumping Syndrome?? 

• 4 months later...
Felix Nuts Tomcat Apprentice

Raises hand - And no I have never had surgery on my gut.  High Fructose Corn Syrup can trigger it.  My belly makes dangerous noises and then my whole system just empties.  If I have been glutened this can happen.