This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Snacks For 1 Year Old Ds

owensmama

owensmama Newbie

So far DS has tested negative with the blood test but he has a very positive response to the diet. His snacks currently consist of Veggie Booty and rice cakes. Anything else the bambino can snack on that is good and healthy? Heck, I'd even take a little fat in his diet since he's below the 3rd percentile for weight.

I guess eliminating most carbs doesn't do much for trying to gain weight! Any pointers or snack recommendations are sooo very appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi, and welcome to this board.

You know, children need a lot more fat than adults for growing, for that boundless energy they have, and for their brains to develop. Children should NEVER be on a low fat diet. So, it would be a good thing for you to give him snacks that contain healthy fat (with healthy I mean non-hydrogenated fat, but yes, healthy does include saturated fats, which of course, means animal fat as well). Rice cakes really are not great snacks (unless you put stuff on them), they're not very satisfying.

That said, what is wrong with plain old fruit and raw veggies for snacks? Also, if he can tolerate dairy, yogourt (full fat yogourt is best), and now that it's hot, ice cream make fine snacks. gluten-free cookies in moderation are okay (too much sugar), then there are, I believe, some bars like Lara bars, that are supposed to make great snacks (I'm not up on that sort of thing, because I am intolerant to them and most anything).

I am sure some people here with small children will give you more ideas.

dionnek Enthusiast

fuits are good - children that young can't have raw veggies (choking hazard), but my little girl loves bananas (sliced) and grapes (halfed) and blueberries! Could also try canned peaches/pears/mandarin oranges (mine won't eat that stuff though). Cheese - we use the string cheese - is a great snack for her age, and healthy (provided she can do dairy). Envirokidz makes a gluten-free animal cracker (only the vanilla kind is gluten-free though - don't get the chocolate even though it looks the same and sits right next to the vanilla!). My little girl likes the Midell chocolate chip cookies (I don't care for them myself, but she'll eat them fine) and also the NutThins (by Blue Diamond) crackers (they have several flavors). Can you put some pnutbutter on the rice cake (if he's not allergic)? My daughter loves pb&j!

hez Enthusiast

You could also try cut up avacado and baked gluten-free muffins.

Hez

TCA Contributor

Gerber has some freeze dried fruit that is ok. Someone told me the Gerber wagon wheels are gluten-free, but I don't know for sure, but it might be worth checking into. My son is a fruitaholic, and that's always a good choice.

genicol Rookie

My daughter loves the peanut butter envirokidz crispy rice bars. She doesn't like the chocolate one though. These are pretty good sized, so I'll give her 1/4 of one and some grapes, strawberries or other fruit and she loves it. I also will give her dry envirokidz cereal, and like already mentioned, the Gerber freeze dried fruits are simple and not too messy!

Guhlia Rising Star

Gerber freeze dried fruits, Gerber wagon wheels, Perky-O's cereal, Envirokidz berry bars, Kinnikinnick crispy rice cereal (like rice crispies), small chunks of fresh fruit, Kraft 2% american cheese singles, you can make your own zwieback-style toast with rice bread, Mi-del animal cookies, Glutano crackers (like Ritz meets a saltine and melts easily in mouth), Glutano crisp bread.

To get vegetables into his diet for snacking, I would make homemade veggie popsicles. I make them out of carrots, spinach, peas, and squash for my daughter. I puree them in the food processor, then freeze them in popsicle trays. She gobbles them up, especially when the weather is hot like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Izak's Mom Apprentice
So far DS has tested negative with the blood test but he has a very positive response to the diet. His snacks currently consist of Veggie Booty and rice cakes. Anything else the bambino can snack on that is good and healthy? Heck, I'd even take a little fat in his diet since he's below the 3rd percentile for weight.

I guess eliminating most carbs doesn't do much for trying to gain weight! Any pointers or snack recommendations are sooo very appreciated!

My son just turned one and his snacks include:

-Gluten-free toasted bread with a little peanut butter or cream cheese or jam, cut up into squares

-Bananas (he LOVES bananas - will cram a whole one into his mouth in one bite!)

-Stonyfield Farm YoBaby drinks (organic yogurt drinks)

-Stonyfield Farm portable organic yogurt pouch thingies that have been frozen - I give them to him like popsicles

-something called Baby Mum-Mum that I found at the supermarket - it's like a sweetened rice cracker that would be perfect for younger babies (melts in the mouth - you can actually mix it with formula or milk and make 'mush' out of it). They come in individually wrapped packages of two, perfect for lunch bags.

-Steamed broccoli 'trees'

-Steamed golden beets, sliced and cut in half, with a little gluten-free balsamic vinegar

-Scrambled egg, plain or with a little ketchup

-Van's WF/gluten-free blueberry or apple-cinnamon waffles, with syrup or jam, cut into pieces

-Pirate's Booty - he actually LOVES the Veggie Booty

-Fig Newmans (WF/gluten-free)

-WF/gluten-free animal crackers

-WF/gluten-free ginger snaps

-Applesauce

-Cottage cheese w/cinnamon sugar or fruit/jam mixed in

-Veggie Chips (like potato chips, but made from veggies & healthier)

-I also make banana bread from rice flour & give him pieces throughout the week

Someone mentioned mandarin oranges & peaches - I find I have to really watch it with this stuff cause it give him diarrhea - the oranges especially. Pineapple too.

Good luck!

fullofhope Newbie

My son loves almond and cashew butter on rice cakes, in addition to all the other great ideas. To cut down on sugar but still provide "cookies", I mix up gluten-free pancake batter with a little less than normal liquid and bake on a cookie sheet. Sometimes I add almond butter, or stick frozen berries on top or dried fruit inside before cooking. He loves these for snacks or as part of a meal. You can even stick tuna or canned salmon between two cookies and it makes a great sandwich. We really play around with toppings for things like rice cakes to keep it all interesting. I also sometimes get rice pizza crust, cut it into pieces before topping and baking, putting on my son's favorite things (ketchup, shredded coconut, lentils, broccoli....) in small enought pieces that I can smash them into the crust so after baking the toppings don't fall off and it's easy to toss into the diaper bag in a ziplock. :)

janel

amber-rose Contributor

I would check EnviroKids. I think all their stuff or at least most of it is gluten-free. They make cereals and rice krispie bars. Check out your local vitamin or health food shop. Even albertsons, safeway, raleys, and nobhill foods have a little gluten free section. There is always good bread...Kinnickinnic, or something like that makes the best breads, donuts, and cinnamin rolls.

penguin Community Regular
My son just turned one and his snacks include:

-Gluten-free toasted bread with a little peanut butter or cream cheese or jam, cut up into squares

-Bananas (he LOVES bananas - will cram a whole one into his mouth in one bite!)

-Stonyfield Farm YoBaby drinks (organic yogurt drinks)

-Stonyfield Farm portable organic yogurt pouch thingies that have been frozen - I give them to him like popsicles

-something called Baby Mum-Mum that I found at the supermarket - it's like a sweetened rice cracker that would be perfect for younger babies (melts in the mouth - you can actually mix it with formula or milk and make 'mush' out of it). They come in individually wrapped packages of two, perfect for lunch bags.

-Steamed broccoli 'trees'

-Steamed golden beets, sliced and cut in half, with a little gluten-free balsamic vinegar

-Scrambled egg, plain or with a little ketchup

-Van's WF/gluten-free blueberry or apple-cinnamon waffles, with syrup or jam, cut into pieces

-Pirate's Booty - he actually LOVES the Veggie Booty

-Fig Newmans (WF/gluten-free)

-WF/gluten-free animal crackers

-WF/gluten-free ginger snaps

-Applesauce

-Cottage cheese w/cinnamon sugar or fruit/jam mixed in

-Veggie Chips (like potato chips, but made from veggies & healthier)

-I also make banana bread from rice flour & give him pieces throughout the week

Someone mentioned mandarin oranges & peaches - I find I have to really watch it with this stuff cause it give him diarrhea - the oranges especially. Pineapple too.

Good luck!

:o Fig Newman's aren't gluten-free! They have barley flour!

Izak's Mom Apprentice
:o Fig Newman's aren't gluten-free! They have barley flour!

:(

uh oh - THANKS for the heads up!!

Archived