This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calcium Rich Foods

BamBam

BamBam Community Regular

I had a bone density test done, and all my numbers were low, so I need to put some calcium in my diet. I am a dairy/casein free person. Does anyone have a calcium pill with vitamin D and Magnessium that is gluten free? And a website that I can order them from? The regular calcium pills constipate me terrible.

Do any of you take Pfsomax (don't know how to spell it) or Evistra? These are scripts to help build bone mass. I may have to take one of these also, so was just wondering if anyone has had good luck with these.

Also, what are some calcium enriched foods that are not dairy?

BamBam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like Rainbow Light's Food Based Calcium. It has a good ratio of cal/D/mag. I can get it at a number of stores, but here's googles list of hits:

Open Original Shared Link

and here's amazon's list (which includes a chewable!): Open Original Shared Link

Don't forget to get some regular weight bearing exercise as well! Vital for stimulating bone growth!

AndreaB Contributor

We like calcium fortified orange juice. Broccoli is a good calcium source too as well as almonds.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm dairy free, also. I use Standard Process Calcium Lactate. It's the only calcium that has not bothered my stomach. It came recommended to me by my Kineisologist--

Darn, the exact page won't come up--just hit alphabetical list, and then Calcium Lactate. I get this at my local health food store. A lot of stores don't carry this brand, though.

nikki-uk Enthusiast

My husband was recently dx with Osteoporosis too.

He now has to take Actonel once a week now(very similar to Fosomax)

He's only just started taking these,but his doc did recommend weight bearing excercise.

I think you've already had good advise,and keep eating those dark green vegetables :)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Here's a chart that shows the calcium content of some dairy-free foods:

BamBam Community Regular

Thanks for all the help, it's amazing how many responses can happen so soon.

Tarnalberry - thank you for the ideas on the calcium pills, I called Vitacost and they will be sending me a catalog soon. I will try those. Can you help me out with some weight bearing exercises. The only thing I can think of is lifting weights, but there is obviously more than that I can do. I am pretty dumb when it comes to exercising. I started going to Curves For Women, and I like that, but I know I need to add more.

Again, thank you all for your responses. I will be adding orange juice, dark leafy veggies and almonds to my diet.

Bernadette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator
Thanks for all the help, it's amazing how many responses can happen so soon.

Tarnalberry - thank you for the ideas on the calcium pills, I called Vitacost and they will be sending me a catalog soon. I will try those. Can you help me out with some weight bearing exercises. The only thing I can think of is lifting weights, but there is obviously more than that I can do. I am pretty dumb when it comes to exercising. I started going to Curves For Women, and I like that, but I know I need to add more.

Again, thank you all for your responses. I will be adding orange juice, dark leafy veggies and almonds to my diet.

Bernadette

Did you get the pm I sent last week?

Weight bearing exercises...you can start simple...ie. taking walks while holding light dumbells or wearing ankle, wrist weights. I definitely recommend weight-bearing as my mom, who had osteopenia, increased her bone density to normal levels by adding weight-bearing exercises and walking to her life. Read info and site below...hopefully gives you some ideas...

Why Exercise?

Exercise is an important component in the comprehensive treatment of osteoporosis. Exercise can decrease bone loss, increase bone density, and reduce the risk of fractures. It is important to understand the principles of proper exercise for preventing and treating osteoporosis to ensure that a program is both safe and effective.

Exercises That Increase Bone Density

Both weight-bearing and resistance exercises have been shown to increase bone density.

Weight-bearing exercises refer to activities where the weight of the body is transmitted through the bones, working against gravity. Your bones respond to this force by growing stronger. Walking, jogging, dancing, hiking, stair climbing, and aerobic exercises are all examples of weight-bearing exercises. Bike riding and swimming, although good exercises, are not weight-bearing. Weight-bearing exercises should be performed at least three to five times per week. The goal is to work up to 45 minutes or more per session. If you have osteoporosis, you should not perform high impact activities such as jogging or high-impact aerobics. These exercises cause too much jarring of the spine and can increase the risk of vertebral fractures.

Resistance exercises generate muscle tension on the bones. This strengthens the muscles and stimulates the bones to grow stronger. Exercising with weights or resistance bands are examples of this type of exercise. If you have osteoporosis, make sure to review your strength training program in advance with your physician or physical therapist. Resistance exercises should be performed two to three times a week.

The answer, of course – in addition to consuming 2000 mg of calcium/day and taking 400-800 I.U. of vitamin D –AND MAGNESIUM is to exercise! According to three UBC osteoporosis experts,1 high-impact exercises, such as combinations of stair-climbing, aerobics, jumping, jumping rope, sprinting, and jogging, are most important in enhancing bone density.

Weight-training with high loads and low repetitions is also beneficial to bone. According to Bennell and colleagues1, weight-training programs should include 8-10 exercises involving the major muscle groups, e.g. biceps curl, overhead press, triceps extension, bench press, leg press, half squats, hamstring curl, hip flexion, and hip extension. For maximum benefit, weight-training should be performed 2-3 times/week with three sets of 8-10 repetitions of each exercise. Back extension exercises while lying prone on a workout bench are also good for helping to prevent the rounding of the upper back (kyphosis) that often occurs in osteoporosis.

Although previous research has suggested that walking is not as beneficial in building bone as jogging, a study just published in JAMA reported that the risk of hip fracture was lowered by 41% for postmenopausal women who walked at least 4 hours/week (but did no other exercise).2 Furthermore, the benefits of walking were greatest for women who were not taking HRT!

tarnalberry Community Regular

Gah... those studies always leave out the magnesium. Burns me up, I tells ya. Magnesium, according to some studies, is MORE important for celiacs than calcium.

Anywho...

Exercise... the list that jenvan had there was great. Anything that causes you to bear weight. (I know, I know... but stop and think about if you're bearing weight when you think about an exercise. Swimming? Nope, the water is making you weigh LESS. Biking? Nope, you've got oodles of support points. Walking? Not bad - bearing your body weight, but just that. Running? Body weight, and more since you're 'bouncing' a bit. Weights - yep, some weight bearing there, in ways you don't normally get. Yoga actually provides some good weight bearing as well, especially upper body weight bearing that you usually don't get in running. Anything that involves jumping? Definitely. Backpacking? Oh yeah, you're weight bearing now!

I usually just stop and think about where weight and work is being distributed by the exercise. But just looking up a list works too.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

If no one said, sesame seeds, sea vegetables, and dark leafy greens are usually BETTER sources of calcium than dairy...dairy has the wrong ratio of calcium to phosphorous, leaving unabsorbed calcium in the system that has to go someplace (stones, acne, cysts, etc.?)

Good luck!

jenvan Collaborator
My husband was recently dx with Osteoporosis too.

He now has to take Actonel once a week now(very similar to Fosomax)

He's only just started taking these,but his doc did recommend weight bearing excercise.

I think you've already had good advise,and keep eating those dark green vegetables :)

Oh Nikki--def recommend the weight-bearing again to him. My mom was post-menopausal when she was diagnosed with osteopenia and her doc wanted her to do fosomax. She refused and starting working out and doing weight-bearing exercises. Granted, she didn't have full-blown osteoporosislike your husband, BUT she got her bone density back to up normal just doing that and taking a supplement.

Gah... those studies always leave out the magnesium. Burns me up, I tells ya. Magnesium, according to some studies, is MORE important for celiacs than calcium.

I went back and added in magnesium to the text I pasted. I probably would have noticed it going unmentioned had I not been on the phone with my brother when I made the post :P (He was telling me the docs think his roomie has C diff or bacterial colitis. Yikes!)

Archived