This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms Of Discomfort

nursingmommie

nursingmommie Rookie

I know it's only been 3 days but my son's afternoon nap was not a restful one because he had some obvious tummy discomfort. Do you think it means that it may be other things besides gluten or do you think I'm either still consuming it or it's not quite out of my breastmilk? It seems as though I've pretty much swiched from eating wheat everything to rice everything! And he never took to rice cereal either. Today for breakfast I had one fried organic egg on 2 slices of rice bread (disgusting I might add) with some butter and dijon mustard plus a small glass of unfiltered apple juice with a little added cranberry juice. For lunch I had a salad of romaine lettuce with radish, cucumber, onion, sunflower seeds, almonds, 2 canned sardines with Italian dressing (which may be questionable). I make it myself from the Good Seasons mix packet. Oh and I had a few rice crackers and water. Between lunch and dinner I had one slice of rice bread with smuckers natural peanut butter and some organic berry jelly. He napped after this. Does anything here ring any bells for anyone that maybe I'm missing? He did have his probiotic today which like I said before has maltodextrin that is either from rice or corn starch. I feel like I'm looking for a needle in a hay stack!

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

Hi, I believe I called Good Seasons when my son first went gluten free because I use it to coat chicken (very good I might add) and they said they are gluten free. But you can always call and double check. I called everybody when we first started this. It's a good way to find out which companies you can trust without calling (ex: Kraft always labels their food so we can understand everything). Also, from what I am understanding from your post, you have only been on the diet for 3 days? It may not be long enough for your son to not have symptoms. Most people say they see a big diff. in a couple of weeks but for us it was 3 months. My son's symptom was constipation.

Nicole

Izak's Mom Apprentice
I know it's only been 3 days but my son's afternoon nap was not a restful one because he had some obvious tummy discomfort. Do you think it means that it may be other things besides gluten or do you think I'm either still consuming it or it's not quite out of my breastmilk?

I don't think 3 days is long enough to see any improvement - you really need to give it a minimum of 2-3 weeks for your system to totally clear out. I know the waiting stinks...Hang in there!

Also - what brand rice bread are you using? I was doing the Ener-G White Rice Wheat Free stuff for awhile, but as you noted, it's not exactly appetizing, even when toasted (although if you coat it in egg & do french toast, it's not half bad) - but I've lately been using the Food for Life brand Brown Rice bread or the Rice & Pecan bread, which is WAY better than the Ener-G stuff (in my opinion), so you might want to try that. The Rice & Pecan flavor is pretty good toasted. At my supermarket, it's in the Natural/Organic food section in the frozen food cases.

nursingmommie Rookie
Hi, I believe I called Good Seasons when my son first went gluten free because I use it to coat chicken (very good I might add) and they said they are gluten free. But you can always call and double check. I called everybody when we first started this. It's a good way to find out which companies you can trust without calling (ex: Kraft always labels their food so we can understand everything). Also, from what I am understanding from your post, you have only been on the diet for 3 days? It may not be long enough for your son to not have symptoms. Most people say they see a big diff. in a couple of weeks but for us it was 3 months. My son's symptom was constipation.

Nicole

Thank you! I've called one company so far and it's looking like that is the best thing to do. Yes, I've only been on the diet 3 days. It's just weird because sometimes he is ok and then at other times he is a wreck and it makes me wonder why it would be different sometimes. He slept ok last night until early morning and then did the unconsolable crying thing which got us up way too early. He does still nurse during the night and my dinner consisted of rice pasta with jarred sauce (Gia Russa which contains dairy). Later I also had some Hershey's dark chocolate which I do think chocolate bothers him and the ingredients are questionable. A little while ago my son had a loud exposive BM again (watery) and lately (the last couple days) he's had tiny specks of blood in his stool again.

I don't think 3 days is long enough to see any improvement - you really need to give it a minimum of 2-3 weeks for your system to totally clear out. I know the waiting stinks...Hang in there!

Also - what brand rice bread are you using? I was doing the Ener-G White Rice Wheat Free stuff for awhile, but as you noted, it's not exactly appetizing, even when toasted (although if you coat it in egg & do french toast, it's not half bad) - but I've lately been using the Food for Life brand Brown Rice bread or the Rice & Pecan bread, which is WAY better than the Ener-G stuff (in my opinion), so you might want to try that. The Rice & Pecan flavor is pretty good toasted. At my supermarket, it's in the Natural/Organic food section in the frozen food cases.

I'm sure 3 days isn't long enough like you said. It's just so frustrating to see him in pain and not really knowing what is causing it. Especially when sometimes he is ok and other times he's not. Did your son take to eating solids well? Mine never did, he hated the rice cereal. He did so so with veggies and fruit. Today I gave him some pears which he actually opened up for a few bites.

The rice bread I got WAS the Ener-G and I just threw it away because it's too gross. My husband took a bite of it last night and about died. It's like eating sawdust! Ha, ha! I'll have to look for those other brands at my health food store. Thanks!

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

I haven't tried the boughten bread--I bake it for my husband and son-but the one thing my mom bought last time we were visiting that actually tasted normal (like white dinner rolls that aren't gluten-free) was EnerG Foods Tapioca dinner rolls. My son was diagnosed a month ago so he hasn't totally adjusted to his "wonderful" new diet but he pigged out on those. I found them on Amazon and ordered some so that I can get some grains in him. The only decent rice pasta we have found is Tinkyada--all of the other brands we tried were nasty mush. We all eat it now because it is easier than making 2 kinds.

I do know my babies didn't like it if I had cabbage, broccoli, etc so maybe the radishes might be in the same category. (Cabbage and broccoli gave them gas!)

:) Kendra

GFBetsy Rookie

If you want a good bread mix, Kinnikinnik is a really good brand. Also, if you are willing to bake your own bread, there are a lot of recipes available that make bread that is MUCH better than the "9 months before it goes bad" pre-baked kind.

Archived