This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Name Your Top 4 Or 5 Gluten Free Foods!

Lymetoo

Lymetoo Contributor

I figured if you all gave me several of your favorite products, it would help me narrow down what to buy. It's expensive to pay $5 + for something that tastes like cardboard!!

If it's fairly low in sugar, please indicate. I consider low as less than 5 grams per serving. I really have to watch the sugar.

Thanks so much!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wolfie Enthusiast

Let's see........

I don't eat a lot of specialty items, I stick mainly with foods that are naturally gluten-free, but when I do order or buy breads/treats, these are my favs:

Kinnikinnick Hamburger Buns (no kidding, they are very close to "normal" buns)

Kinnikinnick bagels

Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread

Gluten-free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownies

Pamela's Pecan Shortbread Cookies (good for substituion when you need a graham cracker crust, too).

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Kinnikinnick

Sterk's

Tinkyada

jennyj Collaborator

Ener G gourmet crackers ( I love them with Honey Nut cream cheese or peanut butter) :P

lightningfoot speakin words Contributor

Amy's makes a gluten free pizza, its a rice crust pizza (pleez note that the box says gluten free in super small white letters at the bottom. the corn meal one isnt gluten free) I eat this with my friends and they say they cant even taste the difference. I also love this new thing on the market called like quick bake and fast and fresh. They are good and they cook in like 1 minute.

~lightningfoot

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm guessing you want pre-packaged, store bought items?

• Tinkyada Pasta (good for hot or cold pasta dishes)
  • Clif Nectar Bars (good food in a pinch)
  • Bob's Red Mill Flax Meal (used with Cream of Rice)
  • Vitamin Water (great on those hikes)
  • Welshire Farms Chicken Apple Sausages (good in a number of recipes)

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Lymetoo

I understand that you don't want to waste $$$$ as none of this food is cheap. I have been traveling around buying different gluten-free food because I have two young kids who get bored with food, so I try to find the best out there.....Here it goes:

pasta--- BiAglut then tinkyada

Bread mix: Anna's mixes

Biscuits: 123 gluten free

Pizza crust or prepkg: Foods by george, Everybody Eats

baguettes & crusty rolls: Everybody Eats is totally awesome (they have a website)

Amy's gluten-free mac& cheese is good (frozen)

Heartland's is also good

Glazed donuts (like the real deal) Dietary Specialities, Michigan

Food Tek has good micro cakes, cookies,bread& ect that makes a serving for one or two. They are fast, easy and tasty

Some other names that people use are Namaste,Grandma Ferdon's, Deby's in Denver, The grainless Baker in Pa.; The bread barn, Outside the Bread box.

If you would like more info you can pm me anytime. Hope this helps.

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Not that I can eat these any more <_< , but here are 5 that I really liked--

Tinkyada Pasta

Gluten Free Pantry Truffle Brownies

Gluten free Pantry French Bread Mix

Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles and Gingerbread Spice Cookies

Whole Foods Bakeshop Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Grandma Ferndon's Hamburger Buns (I had to add those!)

Lymetoo Contributor

Thanks! I haven't heard of nor seen most of those. Hope I can find some of them. Thanks so much. Keep 'em coming!!

MallysMama Explorer

I don't agree with all of those that were listed....but I'm just a really picky eater. I'll list a few that I think taste good (and I don't mean "normal"...because I've always had Celiac...so I don't really know what "normal" is).

Tinkyada white rice spaghetti is THE BEST! (I don't care for the brown rice kinds...but most people like them.) I use this pasta for Everything (macaroni and cheese, fettucini alfredo, regular spaghetti, etc). And most health food stores carry it.

Kinnikinnick frozen pizza crusts! (Thank you nini for originally suggesting these!!!) So Yummy!! I use them to make "garlic cheesey bread"....I've only used them to make pizza once....boy were they good! (If you can't find them in the store go to: www.kinnikinnick.com )

Pamela's chocolate cake mix. It's pretty dense...not light and fluffy - but still very good. I felt really guilty eating it the first time...because I felt like I was "cheating."

Other than those three things....mostly homemade things are better. I haven't found a pre-packaged cookie that I like (they're all organic crap that are grainy and sooo gross.... If I'm going to eat a COOKIE, I don't need it to be organic!) :D So, I've always just substituted very very fine rice flour with a little xanthan gum to most cookie and brownie recipes. (Oriental markets sell the best rice flour!) And they usually turn out perfect!!

Good luck going 100% gluten-free!

lorka150 Collaborator

i stick mostly to natural foods (produce), but i love almond and cashew butter (marantha brand), all natural peanut butter (my store brand, crunchy), as well as mori-nu tofu. i keep rainforest organic ginger curry sauce and bragg's liquid aminos on hand for quick sauces if i am rushing - they are very tasty.

tarnalberry Community Regular
i stick mostly to natural foods (produce), but i love almond and cashew butter (marantha brand), all natural peanut butter (my store brand, crunchy), as well as mori-nu tofu. i keep rainforest organic ginger curry sauce and bragg's liquid aminos on hand for quick sauces if i am rushing - they are very tasty.

oh, good point, lorka, I wasn't thinking "important things to cook with". on that front, I'd put these five up:

• san-j wheat free tamari
  • thai kitchen chili paste
  • ginger people ginger juice
  • spice hunter spices
  • almond breeze

Guest cassidy

Erewhon gluten-free rice crispies

Tinkyada pasta - the best by far

kozy shack tapioca pudding

Eden Oragnic canned rice and beans - I add cheese on top

Back to Nature white cheddar rice crackers

suziew Rookie

Tinkyada past products

Pamela's amazing bread mix

Pamela's brownie mix

my Annalise Roberts cookbook (Everything I made taste like it has gluten in it. All the recipes are great)

amybeth Enthusiast

Schar fusilli pasta

Tinkyada pasta

Whole Foods stores have a gluten-free banana bread and blueberry muffins that I splurge for occassionally

Pamela's Lemon Almond Biscotti

Glutino pretzels (red bag)

Taste of Thai Coconut Ginger Noodles (look like they're in a chinese take out box) **

Taste of Thai Coconut Ginger Rice **

Athenos roasted red pepper hummus (with veggies, yum!) **

Food by George cheese pizza

Perky O's Apple Cinnamon Cereal

Dora The Explorer Cinnamon Stars cereal **

Pamela's Pecan Shortbread cookies

There's an indian food brand that makes asweet red pepper sauce - so good on chicken (ethnic aisle and labeled gluten-free on the back - they also have a lemon type sauce - yum!) **

Hormels natural's deli meat**

Yoplait Yogurt (flavors w/out cookie, etc.) **

Taste of Thai spicy peanut bake **

Tacos!!!!!

** These are not specifically gluten-free products - just mainstream products that happen to be gluten-free

4getgluten Rookie

I'm glad this type of post has come up again. It's great getting all these new food ideas.

My top 5:

1. Misson corn tortillas and corn tortilla chips - I love them w/ cheese, salsa, rice and avocado.

2. Kinnikinnick muffins (blueberry, carrot, chocolate chip) - yummy with a cup of coffee in the morning.

3. Anna's bread mixes - I use my bread machine.

4. Pamela's cookies - I agree that the pecan shortbread are wonderful.

5. Thai Kitchen rice noodle bowls - I take them to work for lunch, and I bring them w/ me when I travel, in case I can't find anything to eat.

Enjoy!

Lauren M Explorer

My newest obsession is Gillian's French Rolls. SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD! SO light, SO yummy, go with EVERYTHING! (ok, I'll stop raving now...)

For making your own bread, Breads by Anna is awesome. I've also tried 'Cause Your Special, Namaste and Really Great Food Co. mixes with success.

Lesser Evil glazed popcorn (especially the cinnamon one!) are really good too.

Kinnikinnick, Josef's cookies - and everything from www.everybodyeats-inc.com - if you order, you MUST try their cinnamon rolls. Who needs Cinnabon??

- Lauren

dionnek Enthusiast
My newest obsession is Gillian's French Rolls. SO UNBELIEVABLY GOOD! SO light, SO yummy, go with EVERYTHING! (ok, I'll stop raving now...)

For making your own bread, Breads by Anna is awesome. I've also tried 'Cause Your Special, Namaste and Really Great Food Co. mixes with success.

Lesser Evil glazed popcorn (especially the cinnamon one!) are really good too.

Kinnikinnick, Josef's cookies - and everything from www.everybodyeats-inc.com - if you order, you MUST try their cinnamon rolls. Who needs Cinnabon??

- Lauren

I've never heard of this Lesser Evil, but I just ordered 2 big packages (a 36 count and a 12 count!) from amazon - it looks incredible! Free shipping and $10 off if you use the code "GROCERY2" from now until Aug. 31. I hope I like it :o

I'm new to this, but my favorites so far are the Kinnitoos vanilla sandwhich cookies, Really Great Food Company pancake mix (light and fluffy like real pancakes!), Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles, and Pamela's Baking/Pancake mix to make banana bread with (thanks to whoever put that recipe on here amonth or so ago - it is incredible!). I also like the Tinkyada pasta, but I'm not picky with my pasta (any of them will do for me - it's all about the sauce).

Lymetoo Contributor

Wow!!! Thanks!! Now to transfer these to Word!

gabrielle Contributor
I figured if you all gave me several of your favorite products, it would help me narrow down what to buy. It's expensive to pay $5 + for something that tastes like cardboard!!

If it's fairly low in sugar, please indicate. I consider low as less than 5 grams per serving. I really have to watch the sugar.

Thanks so much!! :D

YAY! I love doing these!

1. Good Eatz Snickerdoodles (My nutrition store just started carrying Good Eatz, they are a PA based company with really yummy cookies and mini cakes- their Peanut Butter and Chocolate candy cake is the best!!)

2. Grainless Baker Muffins- (also a PA based company) MUFFINS (especially blue berry and chocolate chip) and BREAD CRUMBS!! MMM they make the best Chicken Parm!

3. Tinkyada brown rice spaghetti pasta- DELISH!

4. Kinnikinnick White Italian Bread

5. Envirokids chocolate or peanut butter rice krispy bars :-)

6. Hormel Naturals Honey Turkey Breast... I feel so comfortable when they put gluten-free right on the package!

Plus I love a big bowl of natural /homemade GUACAMOLE!! MMM!

melie Apprentice

Van's gluten-free frozen waffles (like Eggos, but light in texture) a nice breakfast option

Mary's Gone Crackers- a bit 'sturdy' but good source of flax seeds! Verrry crunchy

Pamela's Cookies -Espresso Choc Chunk, Peanut, any flavor really!

Robert's Wheat Free Chaos - a snack mix that I find totally addictive!

Whole Foods Bakery Cherry Almond or Blueberry Muffins, Sandwich Bread and Prairie Bread

gluten-free Pantry French Bread mix

The Cravings Place Crumble Coffee Cake mix

I am getting some great ideas from this topic! Thanks, everyone!

spiritdream Newbie
Let's see........

I don't eat a lot of specialty items, I stick mainly with foods that are naturally gluten-free, but when I do order or buy breads/treats, these are my favs:

Kinnikinnick Hamburger Buns (no kidding, they are very close to "normal" buns)

Kinnikinnick bagels

Gluten-Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Bread

Gluten-free Pantry Chocolate Truffle Brownies

Pamela's Pecan Shortbread Cookies (good for substituion when you need a graham cracker crust, too).

I've tried Kinnikinnick tray rolls and they were yucky, to my taste anyway. Are the hamburger buns similar in taste? I've got them in my freezer but have not tried them since I didn't like their tray rolls.

Thanks,

Linda

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Some of these mimick a lot of the others but here goe:

1. Tinyada (I don't know what I would do without this)

2. Namaste Chocolate Cake mix

3. Breads from the Gluten Free Bread Basket (has quickly become a favorite)

4. EnerG sesame Pretzel Rings

5. Chicken Taquitos from Trader Joe's

Archived