This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cherries Possibly Coated With Something Containing Gluten?

eleep

eleep Enthusiast

This may be premature, but I've got a bunch of important deadlines and events coming up in the next few days and really cannot afford to be glutened -- if this is what I fear, I need to down some activated charcoal and delve deep into my glutening emergency kit right away.

I picked up a big bag of cherries at Publix and just ate a bunch of them with lunch (homemade tuna salad on rice-pecan bread -- already tested out and fine). I'm starting to feel a funny rumbling in my stomach -- which could be nothing special at all, but it's making me nervous.

Is it possible that fresh cherries could have some kind of gluten-containing preservative spray or something on them? Has anyone else encountered this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have never encountered anything like that, and don't even think they wax cherries, BUT, eating a whole lot of cherries can cause tummy rumbling all on it's own. (And I say that as a heavy fruit eater, including cherries.)

hez Enthusiast

I have heard (do not know from experience) that eating ALOT of cherries at one time can cause "d". Could be an old wives tale!

Hez

lindalee Enthusiast

I ate a bunch last week and it made my stomach feel kinda sour. Think I just ate too many-not sure..LL

eleep Enthusiast

Phew -- thanks for humoring me -- I think it is just that cherry-stomach thing. Not enough to get me to quit eating cherries, however.

burdee Enthusiast

MANY people react to too many cherries with gas, diarrhea and tummy rumblings. However, if you are sensitive to aspirin which contains saliscylic acid, you may also react to any fruit which contains a lot of natural saliscylates, such as plums, peaches, cherries, grapes and apricots, as well as almonds which are high in natural saliscylates. I know this is not celiac/gluten intolerance related, but many celiacs also have other food allergies (IgE) or intolerances (IgG). I plan to take the ELISA blood test panel to rule out what other foods might cause my continuing symptoms. I suspect the natural saliscylates fruits, because I can't tolerate ANYTHING with aspirin.

BURDEE

jennyj Collaborator

I love fresh bing cherries but I can only eat a handful at a time :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Yea, I'm another who can only eat a few cherries at a time. Too much fruit of any kind will start the rumbling!

lonewolf Collaborator
I have heard (do not know from experience) that eating ALOT of cherries at one time can cause "d". Could be an old wives tale!

I'm not an old wife, but I can verify that eating too many cherries can DEFINITELY cause D. And it's been worth it every time :D .

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

My mom is the same way.. has yet to deter her from eating tons of the cherries!

murlene Rookie
This may be premature, but I've got a bunch of important deadlines and events coming up in the next few days and really cannot afford to be glutened -- if this is what I fear, I need to down some activated charcoal and delve deep into my glutening emergency kit right away.

I picked up a big bag of cherries at Publix and just ate a bunch of them with lunch (homemade tuna salad on rice-pecan bread -- already tested out and fine). I'm starting to feel a funny rumbling in my stomach -- which could be nothing special at all, but it's making me nervous.

Is it possible that fresh cherries could have some kind of gluten-containing preservative spray or something on them? Has anyone else encountered this?

Hi, I really think it is just the fruit thing. I had the same problem with cherries and if I eat too much watermelon. It's good to have D for a reason other than being glutened! LOL

Guest cassidy

I have been eating tons of cherries from Publix lately. Like 3 bags a week. I haven't had any problems at all, so I think they are safe.

Ashley Enthusiast

Yeah, turning down the cherries too many at a time isn't too delicate on my stomach. As long as I eat them slowly and a few at a time, I'm good to go.

-Ash

mle-ii Explorer

This could also be fructose malabsorbtion. Do any other fruits give you problems if eaten large quantities? How about honey, maple syrup?

Archived