This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Your Toddlers Fav Foods?

kimber

kimber Enthusiast

Hi

Zach has not yet been officially diagnosed (we see a new GI in a few weeks)

BUT i wanted to try a gluten-free diet (again...worked in the past)

Anyway, I feel like his diet is so restricted and lots of rice products are causing constipation

Can anyone share their toddlers fav foods, prepared foods, or recipes (or point me in the right directions!)

Thanks

We live by a WF and I already picked up the enjoy life foods oatmeal cookies

Thanks, kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SueC Explorer

Some of my daughters favorites are:

Fruit, celery and carrot sticks with Ranch dressing, dry cocoa pebbles, yogurt, cheese cubes, envirokids granola bars, cheetos, marshmellows, canned mandarin oranges,applesauce, jello pudding, ener-g pretzels if you can find them at WF, Reeses peanut butter cups, popsicles, dreyers ice cream, and nuts.

There are lots of snacks that are gluten-free. I'm sure you will get lots more ideas from others.

Nantzie Collaborator

My kids aren't gluten-free (yet), but these are the things of mine that I can't keep them out of:

Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers with EZ Cheese American Cheese (spray cheese). The American and Sharp are gluten-free, but I think the bacon has gluten. My kids will climb all over me trying to get to this.

Cool Ranch Doritos

Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix - I think this stuff is awesome. Very, very close to wheat bread. It has a little bit of a sticky texture, but after I slice it, I lay it out flat and let it "stale" for a couple hours to just dry it out a little. I use it for PB&J, toast, sandwiches, etc. I even give it to my kids just plain, and they'll just walk around munching on it. I never thought I'd see that from gluten-free bread.

Nancy

kimber Enthusiast

Thanks!!!!

My kids aren't gluten-free (yet), but these are the things of mine that I can't keep them out of:

Ener-G Wheat Free Crackers with EZ Cheese American Cheese (spray cheese). The American and Sharp are gluten-free, but I think the bacon has gluten. My kids will climb all over me trying to get to this.

Cool Ranch Doritos

Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix - I think this stuff is awesome. Very, very close to wheat bread. It has a little bit of a sticky texture, but after I slice it, I lay it out flat and let it "stale" for a couple hours to just dry it out a little. I use it for PB&J, toast, sandwiches, etc. I even give it to my kids just plain, and they'll just walk around munching on it. I never thought I'd see that from gluten-free bread.

Nancy

GFBetsy Rookie

I've got a ton of recipes I use. If you want to PM me I'll tell you the website to look them up on. I make my kids all sorts of "normal" type things - cookies, cakes for birthdays, etc. They also eat a lot of fruit and cheese for snacks. And if you are looking for a fun, easy treat to make him, try making "rice krispy" treats by substituting cocoa pebbles (rice krispys have malt and are on the no-no list, but cocoa pebbles are okay) and adding 1/2 c. coconut. DELICIOUS!

Good luck!

Betsy

Guhlia Rising Star

My daughter's favorites are:

Cheese Crackers made fresh from Bette Hagman cookbook

Ener-G pretzels

bacon

Seltzer's sweet bologna rolled up with vegetable cream cheese

Puffins honey rice cereal

Perky-O's frosted and apple cinnamon cereals

Gillian's french rolls

cracker barrel cheddar cheese

cracker barrel swiss cheese

veggie-pops (I make these fresh in my food processor - broccoli, spinach, carrots, yellow squash, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and water or juice - you could use baby foods if you don't have a food processor - mix them up and freeze them in a popsicle tray) my daughter LOVES them (I barely put any berries in, mostly just the veggies)

mrsnj91 Explorer
Cool Ranch Doritos
Wow! Are you sure those are gluten-free?WF? I thought all Doritos are a no no! Oh how exciting for my DD!!!! I came on here to post a list of my own and came out with some things to look for! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice
Wow! Are you sure those are gluten-free?WF? I thought all Doritos are a no no! Oh how exciting for my DD!!!! I came on here to post a list of my own and came out with some things to look for! :D

The cool ranch and taco are both ok. So are spicy nacho cheese but not the regular nacho cheese. If you call Frito Lay they will mail you a more complete list and they sent me coupons too! :)

Luke just discovered Enviro Kids cereal bars. He loves the very berry. We also like ener g foods pretzels, fruit snacks, cheese sticks, yogurt, and fruit. Good luck! Kendra

Guhlia Rising Star

Oooohhh yeah... I forgot about the Envirokidz bars. They're sure to be a hit. Just make sure that the rest of your family doesn't eat them before your little celiac can get a bite. That's how they go in my house. They're oh so good though. Also, nonfat unsweetened yogurt mixed wtih either apple butter or honey. My daughter LOVES that as her bedtime snack. Rice crackers are also hit with either unsweetened fruit spread or cream cheese or both.

Nic Collaborator

My son is 5 and no longer a toddler but just discovered Wellshire Kids gluten free chicken nuggets that are shaped like dinosaurs. This is a huge hit and he has been going through them way too quickly. He also enjoys all of the foods everyone else already mentioned. We bought the nuggets at Whole foods.

TCA Contributor

This is a list I put together for people keeping my son.

• Delimex Taquitos - double check ingredients since some have wheat

• Oscar Mayer Hot dogs and bologna

• Hormel microwave bacon

• Kraft Cheese – singles, mozzarella, and cheddar

• Mission Corn tortillas

He likes these made into quesadillas and pizzas. To make the pizzas, put one tortilla down, sprinkle lightly with cheese and place a 2nd tortilla on top. Top that tortilla with pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I put it in the toaster oven, but the oven is fine. Just cook it until the cheese melts.

• Ragu or Sam’s Choice pasta and pizza sauce

• Hormel Pepperoni

• Nerds, Sweet Tarts, Runts, Laffy Taffy, jolly rancher jelly beans, skittles, starburst

• Reese’s Cups, Hershey’s kisses, Reese’s pieces, M&M’s

• Member’s Mark (Sam’s) Gummies

• Breadless Coating brand Chicken Tenders. They say Gluten Free on the bag. (found at Publix

• Gluten free biscuits. (Cause You’re so Special is a good Brand)

• Peanut Butter and Jelly

• Gluten free pancakes – Bob’s Red Mill is good from Kroger. Golden Eagle syrup, Real Maple syrup, jelly, and honey are good toppers. Pamela’s brand is excellent!

• Gluten free bread – cinnamon toast is a favorite, grilled cheese, grilled bologna and cheese (Use Bob’s Red Mill, Pamela’s, or Cause You’re Special Homemade bread. Tapioca bread from EnerG -found at Kroger- is ok in a tight, but not nearly as good and has to be toasted to be consumable.)

• Kraft regular and light Mayo

• Heinz Ketchup

• Hunt’s Snack cups – jello and pudding

• Jello brand jello.

• Vann’s gluten free waffles (found at Target, Publix and Health Food stores). Blueberry and Chocolate chip are his favorites.

• Amy’s Frozen Rice Crust Cheese Pizza (found at Target and Health food stores).

• Black Forrest Hormel Ham (I buy this at Sam’s). If getting deli meats cut, make sure they clean the slicer first since gluten meats and cheeses may have been cut on it.

• Frito Lay chips – fritos, stax, cheetos, ruffles, plain

• UTZ potato chips

• Popcorn – I usually pop the real stuff. I need to check on Microwave types.

• Ore Ida French fries (most) and tater tots(all) – check ingredients

• Gluten free cornbread – make sure the mix does not contain flour (most do). Don’t cook it in a cast iron skillet where gluten breads have been cooked. The porous material holds gluten.

• Fruit – he loves grapes, apples (especially with peanut butter), bananas, oranges

• Real butter, country crock - a lot are ok, but be careful! Cross contamination is a big issue.

• Pillsbury or Betty Crocker Icing – cream cheese is his favorite

• Veggies are good, but good luck getting him to eat them! ; )

• Crystal Light – orange is his favorite

• Coke and Pepsi brand soft drinks are gluten-free, but I don’t give him many.

• Popsicles – Popsicle brand and Kool Aid brand are good. There are MANY others.

• Raisins

• gluten-free cupcakes – Cause You’re Special Brand is good.

• Chebe mix and Kinnikinnik frozen pizza crusts and white sandwich bread are good. So are Enjoy Life Snickerdoodles.

Archived