This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peanuts

kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni Contributor

I've been suspecting some additional food intolerances in addition to celiac for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty sure it's peanuts. Peanut butter has always made me sick, usually within an hour of eating it. I eliminated peanut butter for a week and a half and then ate peanuts on Saturday night. Sunday my joints were hurting a bit. Today I feel awful - joint/muscle pain, stomach cramps, fatigue. Not good.

My question is: is there a way to test for peanut allergies/intolerances or do I just have to base my diagnosis on my reaction to peanuts? Peanuts are part of the legume family, should I be testing to see if other legumes are a problem? It's possible to be intolerant to a few of the legumes but not all of them, right? Do peanut intolerances damange the intestines the way gluten does (like, if I eat peanuts am I going to be doing damage other than making myself feel like crap for a day or two?)

I had no problem giving up all my gluten foods without an official dianosis. Now I suspect PB and it's like a mini-crisis for me. What am I going to do without my peanut butter??? I'm starting to understand how some of you struggled so much with giving up gluten. I think part of my problem is that I am also vegetarian so I'm going to run into some protien problems pretty soon.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I've been suspecting some additional food intolerances in addition to celiac for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty sure it's peanuts. Peanut butter has always made me sick, usually within an hour of eating it. I eliminated peanut butter for a week and a half and then ate peanuts on Saturday night. Sunday my joints were hurting a bit. Today I feel awful - joint/muscle pain, stomach cramps, fatigue. Not good.

My question is: is there a way to test for peanut allergies/intolerances or do I just have to base my diagnosis on my reaction to peanuts? Peanuts are part of the legume family, should I be testing to see if other legumes are a problem? It's possible to be intolerant to a few of the legumes but not all of them, right? Do peanut intolerances damange the intestines the way gluten does (like, if I eat peanuts am I going to be doing damage other than making myself feel like crap for a day or two?)

I had no problem giving up all my gluten foods without an official dianosis. Now I suspect PB and it's like a mini-crisis for me. What am I going to do without my peanut butter??? I'm starting to understand how some of you struggled so much with giving up gluten. I think part of my problem is that I am also vegetarian so I'm going to run into some protien problems pretty soon.

you and me are in the same boat here. i also think ive got another intoleance and think it may be peanut ( not severe ) im with you on waiting to see if anyone has any info. good question posted.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Peanuts are high in mold, so if you're allergic to mold, they will bother you. I use almond butter instead.

guitarplayer4God Explorer

I was just tested by the RAST blood test and found out that I am allgeric to peanuts and many other foods..I eat cashew butter now it is very good! I am not sure if peanuts damage your intestines like gluten does. I do miss not having peanut butter but the cashew butter is very good! I don't like meat really but I eat it to get protein and I also drink a protein drink to get protein in me.

I hope that helps!

Bethani

kbtoyssni Contributor
Peanuts are high in mold, so if you're allergic to mold, they will bother you. I use almond butter instead.

I had some allergy testing done a couple years ago and I wasn't allergic to mold then. I've never had any food allergy testing done, though, so it might be about time to do some of that.

lorka150 Collaborator

i wouldn't write off all legumes. when i first went gluten-free, peanut butter bothered me - but not other legumes. there are tonnes of other nut butters available. anyway, peanut butter only has 3 grams of protein per serving,so it's not really doing you much injustice cutting it out.

basically, if they bother you, don't eat them.

i do not consume meat, dairy or eggs, and rely on other sources for protein. however, make sure you are getting an adequate amount.

if peanut butter is making you feel crappy, and perhaps giving you loose stools, then perhaps it could be damaging your insides; promoting a lack of absorption? i don't really know - but really, if they bother you, again, don't eat it. is it possible that your peanut butter is cross contaminated with someone dipping their gluten-y knife in it? or maybe it's something else, like sugar? actually, sorry, i just read you ate peanuts, too. never mind that one. :)

either way - stop eating the peanut butter if it bothers you, make sure you're getting enough protein, and open your mind to the wonderful work of other nut and seed butters.

kabowman Explorer

Ditto to Lorka - I was able to eat some but not all legumes for a while. I just gave up peas but have been off peanuts for 2 years. I like the cashew butter--can't have the almond butter.

Also, watch out for peanut oil - some potato chips use it and all roasted nuts seem to be done in peanut oil. I occasionally find some raw cashews that I can eat but not too often.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbtoyssni Contributor

Lorka - you said that PB bothered you when you first went gluten-free. Can you tolerate it now or have you not tried it again? I've been gluten-free for 11 months now so I feel like my intestines are pretty well healed and I may never be able to tolerate PB. And I'm 100% sure that my PB isn't contaiminated - I live alone!

kabowman - thanks for the heads up about peanut oil. Why did you give up peas? Were you ok eating them for a while and suddenly they became a problem? I'm just worried that every year I'll have to give up something else and I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid that. I guess not eating the same thing everyday would help with that.

I'm getting the feeling that there's no way to test for peanut or legume intolerances - that you just have to go by how you feel.

kabowman Explorer

I went by how the food made me feel/affected me. I was fine with peas, didn't really bother me too much until recently and it became obvious enough to not ignore any more. I like peas but it wasn't something I had to have either.

I eat a food until my body says no. Also, I cannot have too much of any one type of food too much in a row or I have problems too, not sure why but we try to mix it up a little because of that.

Archived