This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heartburn

ekdumas19

ekdumas19 Apprentice

Has anyone ever had really really bad heartburn after being glutined? I went out to eat for dinner two nights in a row-and then for about 5 days after had terrible heartburn-I thought i was having a heart attack it was so bad. I could feel the acid practically in my throat-and when usually my stomach hurts, this was all in my chest and right underneath my sternum. I had trouble swallowing and everything. It lasted for about 5 days and i lived off of rolaids and pepcid. Prior to this, I have had occasional heartburn, but nothing with this intensity or for this amount of time. I hope i never ever get it again :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

Are Rolaids gluten free?

I get heartburn sometimes when I'm mildly glutened. I hope you feel better soon. That's such a nasty feeling.

Guest cassidy

My heartburn lasts for about two weeks after being glutened. I was on aciphex being going gluten-free but I really hate to take that stuff. I usually just drink aloe when it happens. I got glutened 11 days ago and I can't wait for the heartburn to be gone again!

Gaviscon is the best antiacid if you want to take something like that.

kbtoyssni Contributor

The normal chewable rolaids are gluten-free. The softchews are NOT gluten-free.

Guhlia Rising Star

Thank you! What about gaviscon? Is that gluten free? Is that OTC?

Ruth52 Newbie

After a particularly nasty glutening episode and developed really bad reflux which didn't respond to any of the over the counter remedies. My doctor prescribed a proton pump inhibitor. I believe it works by decreasing the amount of acid the stomach makes. Anyway I have been taking it for a month and the difference is amazing.

I am supposed to stop taking it for a month and see if the reflux returns.

Needless to say I am now paying much more attention to detail with my diet.

Ruth.

Aerin328 Apprentice

I'm looking at a bottle of Rolaids (standard chewable, peppermint flavored), one of the ingredients is "pre-gelatinized starch"... that sounds potentially glutenous! Does anyone know if this is actually safe?

Also, does anyone have a problem w/ taking baking soda for heart burn?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ruth52 Newbie

When I was pregnant I used to mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and drink it (very quickly). It used to taste terrible to drink (very salty) but provided excellent relief.

lorka150 Collaborator

when i get glutented, i get heartburn. pepto helps (also helps with my poop)!

Guest cassidy
Thank you! What about gaviscon? Is that gluten free? Is that OTC?

gaviscon is otc and gluten-free. It foams in your mouth (yes it is disgusting until you get used to it) and actually forms a barrier so the acid can't come back up. I'm suffered from reflux for 20 years, that is the best otc medicine out there.

Since dealing with all this I have come to believe that reflux is caused by too little acid in the stomach. I usually take digestive enzymes for the reflux and aloe. Rxs that further reduce the acid in your stomach help because when things come back up there isn't the acid to burn, but they don't solve the problem. They also leave you susceptible to things like bacteria and amoebas getting through the normal acid barrier that is decreased. I speak from experience on this and the antibiotics I had to take to get rid of that stuff was worse than any heartburn. If it gets real bad now I will drink some vinegar and I feel better within minutes.

key Contributor

I too get heartburn when gluttened. It lasts awhile. I take ORange Peel extract or digestive enzymes. THese work better then tums or rolaids and I can't take Prilosec.

It is miserable having heartburn.

Monica

maemai Newbie

Eventhough I take prescription medication for indigestion, I still get very bad indigestion when I'm glutened. And it lasts for a while... maybe a week or longer? My doctor just told me to add Pepcid Complete to what I'm already taking.

• 2 years later...
exiledfoodie Newbie

hello to all! ok i'm new here but here's my story:

i started having severe chronic heartburn in feb of this year and started taking prilosec otc. i've been taking psec since then and it is causing me a lot of side affects and i've wanted to come off it for a while. so this past weekend a friend with some expertise in nutrition, after asking me a few questions, told me i might be gluten intolerant. so i decided i have nothing to lose by trying it out and took my last prilosec on sat night about 8pm, since then been trying not to consume any gluten. so far i've had some very mild heartburn but nothing at all like it was before, but i ate the activia yogurt yesterday and today before realizing that it may have gluten in it. aside from heartburn i also have many other symptoms of celiac including severe bloating and gas, anemia and signs of b12 deficiency (worsened no doubt by the psec). anyway, i notice that most gluten intol sites don't mention heartburn as a symptom, so i never thought i might have it. but many people on here and other boards seem to experience it as a symptom, so i think it's a problem that so many people are on ppi's who really are just allergic to gluten. ppi's are bad news in the long run, and they only treat symptoms, not the problem.

anyway nice to find this board as i'm almost sure i have gluten intolerance now. but i will return and report how i'm doing in another week or two for anyone like me who are reading these looking for a similar experience. if i find out that i've been taking this stuff (and paying out the boo boo for it!!) for almost a year when i never had to i'll be spreading the word to ppi users everywhere that's for sure!

thanks and wish me luck!

ToddZ Newbie
hello to all! ok i'm new here but here's my story:

i started having severe chronic heartburn in feb of this year and started taking prilosec otc. i've been taking psec since then and it is causing me a lot of side affects and i've wanted to come off it for a while. so this past weekend a friend with some expertise in nutrition, after asking me a few questions, told me i might be gluten intolerant. so i decided i have nothing to lose by trying it out and took my last prilosec on sat night about 8pm, since then been trying not to consume any gluten. so far i've had some very mild heartburn but nothing at all like it was before, but i ate the activia yogurt yesterday and today before realizing that it may have gluten in it. aside from heartburn i also have many other symptoms of celiac including severe bloating and gas, anemia and signs of b12 deficiency (worsened no doubt by the psec). anyway, i notice that most gluten intol sites don't mention heartburn as a symptom, so i never thought i might have it. but many people on here and other boards seem to experience it as a symptom, so i think it's a problem that so many people are on ppi's who really are just allergic to gluten. ppi's are bad news in the long run, and they only treat symptoms, not the problem.

anyway nice to find this board as i'm almost sure i have gluten intolerance now. but i will return and report how i'm doing in another week or two for anyone like me who are reading these looking for a similar experience. if i find out that i've been taking this stuff (and paying out the boo boo for it!!) for almost a year when i never had to i'll be spreading the word to ppi users everywhere that's for sure!

thanks and wish me luck!

My first ever attack started as mild acid reflux coupled with mild gastritis that snow balled really fast into a severe condition in which I was unable to eat solid food! I was on PPI's for about about a year... I had 2 doctors tell me I had a weak LES valve and said I'd be on PPI's my whole life... Which of course is NOT the case...

• 10 months later...
pchick Rookie

before finding out I was gluten intolerant, I had steady heartburn for years. In fact it was getting so bad I was waking up with reflux and vomiting a couple times a night.

I've been trying to be gluten free for the last 3 weeks ~ I was feeling great until just a few days ago and I've been getting heartburn again. I have to triple check my diet to see what it could be.

anyway... the best thing I've found is a tablespoon of baking soda in a mug of hot water. I drink it so often, I've grown used to the taste. For me it works better than any OTC antacid I've tried. I haven't tried any prescription meds cuz I don't have insurance, so I avoid going to the doctor unless necessary.

Archived