This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Shocking Story

Gcbec

Gcbec Newbie
I can certainly see how you would be nervous about drs talking with one another...BUT one word HIPPA! So technically, the dr who made the allegations should not be disclosing your/your children's medical information or situation with anyone that YOU have not signed a release for. That's my 2 cents for the afternoon!!

Don't give up....KEEP ON PUSHIN'

OK well she has already done this. SHe called my daughters orthopedic, told him she is expert in munchausen syndrome and that my children were in protective custody then she discussed my daughters medical with him. He told her everything about her medical and even listened to her when she told him to take her right afo brace off her leg.... she has had 2 braces on her since she was 12 mos old he just prescribed her 2 braces in April when he saw her, now my daughter is falling crying and uncomfortable. So I suppose I just gave us another lawsuit to collect on huh.. No actually we already new this one. And by the way there was no signed release, and I didnt even sign a realease for acusing dr ever.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gcbec Newbie
I hope that you can get someone to help you. A suggestion though - you keep talking about "the lies" in the reports etc. I am not doubting you at all - words have been twisted and for whatever reason, things were written in reports that have no basis.

Maybe keep to the facts - show the results of testing so far, and that appts with other doctors were referrals not you going from doctor to doctor. When challenged with the so called "evidence" (the lies in the report)...say that you are tired of your son being ill and only want to find out what's wrong with him and, like anyone under stress you may not have been well understood, that the there were misunderstandigs and that is why there are reports are misleading.

When you accuse someone (esp professiopnals ) of lying - it hurts your case, if you use the word misunderstanding - it is less hostile but gets the point across.

Think of times when you may have seen people confront each other:

You lied about this! .......first reaction from the other person is , I did not, you have it all wrong! and the defenses/barriers go up for anything good to happen.

You cant prove they lied - because it was the doctor's opinion at the time (a screwed up opinion).

But you can prove your reactions and determination to confirm celiac were based on lab results and your own medcial history...and your love for your child. Not Munchausen. I do find it interesting that, if they are so concerned that you have this disorder, they have not had you seen by a psychiatrist to validate their claims. The only one qualified to make that diagnosis is a psychiatrist........ a pediatrician can ask that it be investigated ....but to make the diagnosis is reckless, damaging to all and without merit in this case.

At least that is my thoughts, I may not be right, but I am still falbergasted that - in spite of test results and the fact that you were referred - this happened! :angry:

Yes you are 100% right like my attorney tells me she doesnt say it is dark outside she says its not light outside. But there are some areas where she "made up" things, how do you say that? But I will try and keep that word out of the story from now on, thankyou. And yes I never took my son to any Dr unless we were sent to go to them or reffered to go I should say. In my sons records his good pediatrician has letters from each one,, Thankyou for reffering ....

You are right I need to stop being defensive and show I did what I was told to do by dr and it was done becasue I love my child and wanted him to be better. Yes it is interesting there has been no mention at all of evaluation, although I have hired 2 top psychologist in forensic science. They are currently reviewing all my sons medical records to show I was not wrong. The dr has not even talked to me interviewed me or anything, nor has cps. Yes well she deems herself as an expert becasue she is a pediatrician and took a information class on how to suspect munchausen syndrome. The experts I hired are deemed expert in 45 states they have testified in hundreds of cases, they have articles and books out on this.

As far as the test result, remeber we did not know it was positive until we reviewed records last week. We were never told about it being positive, nor was our peditrician. I am going to her husband (gi) tomarrow. My dr today said he knows the peditrician and husband personally and he feels they will efinatly support this new information about celiac. Also the peditrician that acused us, is actually director of cps. What I dont understand is we saw her in April,then follow up in May 8(tink) then she gave us another follow up for july (I have appointment card) why did she wait till June 10th (2 days after I called her a liar) to report my kids in imenint danger. Well I know I kindda answerd my own question, and showed how calling people liar is no good.. I wish I would have learned that earlier.

Thanks

Cindy

Gcbec Newbie
Very good point 2Kids

Using non accusing words is the best route to take now except at home and here of course then anything goes. I do hope your visit to the doctor goes well and this will soon become a distant nightmare!

This may be a little late but I do hope you take any and all blood tests etc with you today and would question any blood work that is low normal and high normal because they all can tell a story if the doctor is smart.

Here are some areas to look at for clues

Does your son have any other bloodwork that points to celiac for example

Low normal ferritin

Low Lymphocytes

High TIBC

Low Iron

Low normal Vitamin D

Low vitamin K

Low B12

Below is a pubmed link in case he does have low ferritin.

Open Original Shared Link

An AGA IgG is the least specific of all Celiac tests but people have still been diagnosed with Celiac with only that as a positive. Did he have the tTG IgA and the Total IgA test. If the total IgA is low that means the other tests are useless and the IgG is the most accurate.

Just posted this about IgG and thought you might want to read it too,

"Hadjivassiliou says, in "Gluten sensitivity as a neurological illness"

"IgG anti-gliadin antibodies have been the best diagnostic marker in the neurological population we have studied. IgG anti-gliadin antibodies have a very high sensitivity for celiac disease but they are said to lack specificity. In the context of a range of mucosal abnormalities and the concept of potential celiac disease, they may be the only available immunological marker for the whole range of gluten sensitivity of which celiac disease is only a part. Further support for our contention comes from our HLA studies. Within the group of patients with neurological disease and gluten sensitivity (defined by the presence of anti-gliadin antibodies) we have found a similar HLA association to that seen in patients with celiac disease: 70% of patients have the HLA DQ2 (30% in the general population), 9% have the HLA DQ8, and the remainder have HLA DQ1. The finding of an additional HLA marker (DQ1) seen in the remaining 20% of our patients may represent an important difference between the genetic susceptibility of patients with neurological presentation to those with gastrointestinal presentation within the range of gluten sensitivity.

Both Dr. Fine, a leading celiac disease researcher, and Dr. Hadjivassiliou have identified the DQ1 marker as predisposing one to a non-celiac gluten sensitivity...which can include all the same symptoms and risks as celiac disease, except there will usually not be villous atrophy on biopsy which is required for a celiac diagnosis. (Dr. Fine suggests DQ1 may be seen in 1-2% of biopsy proven celiac disease.)"

Wishing you a quick resolve to this horrible situation and many prayers.

Celiac Mom

This information is invaluable to me thankyou sooooooooo much...

My son had a low Iga and high Igg (think) normal is below 10 his is 29.4 about hat do you mean neurological? see they have told us my some has neurological problems since birth but NO ONE has ever said for sure, we got, pdd (autistic) adhd something about L8 and L9 causing vocal cord parylysis ect, and developmentally delayed. Whatever the case, he always had problems with stomach since birth really.

I dont know much about some of the tests you show but I will review his records, I am going to use your information for sure thankyou so so much . Everyone has been so wonderful with all there help.

Cindy

oceangirl Collaborator
This information is invaluable to me thankyou sooooooooo much...

My son had a low Iga and high Igg (think) normal is below 10 his is 29.4 about hat do you mean neurological? see they have told us my some has neurological problems since birth but NO ONE has ever said for sure, we got, pdd (autistic) adhd something about L8 and L9 causing vocal cord parylysis ect, and developmentally delayed. Whatever the case, he always had problems with stomach since birth really.

I dont know much about some of the tests you show but I will review his records, I am going to use your information for sure thankyou so so much . Everyone has been so wonderful with all there help.

Cindy

I just looked at this post and am truly sorry for your situation- can't imagine it, really- too painful. I do have to say, working with abused kids every day for years and their extremely dysfunctional families (like most families, I guess, only pathologically so), I guess New York must be trigger-happy or something, because getting DHS to remove a child from neglectful situations is VERY hard in Maine. I have to say I have a jaundiced eye for stories from teens and from their parents, step-parents and foster parents that makes me wary of where the truth lies in any situation. There's no way any of us can truly know what goes on or went on in anyone's house unless we were there. And then, we have our perspective. I would think if all you've said is true, and I'm assuming it is, you don't need anything else to go to the media. One doctor got your children taken away? It seems preposterous, especially, if I read correctly, that he's not their regular pediatrician. Go to the media now if that's what happened. I know truth is stranger than fiction. And, although I question everything I hear all the time, my heart does go out to you.

lisa

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Cindy:

I am not sure HIPPA applies if the doctors "consider it in the best interest of the patient?"

I was wondering how your son is doing now? If he is getting better outside of your care it may look like you were involved somehow, no accusations just a thought. If he is still very ill then he needs to get medical care asap. The other question I have is that you have said you already spent $30,000? What have you spent this on? And has this been since they were detained in June? They have not given you even supervised visitation? This is illegal, unless it is what is considered an extreme case of abuse, imminent danger, that would happen even with someone watching, they have to tell you how you pose a danger. Also can you PM me with who the doctor is that is also the head of children services? I know you don't want to post any names on here. The name of the State and town will also help, so I can look into this as I am sure it is a conflict of interest and quite possibly breaking federal law.

Also have they given you a copy of what you need to do to get your children placed back in your care? It is very important that you follow the plan and do every service they are requiring.

I would not get into what you consider "lying" it is imperative that you stick to the facts. Write it down, started taking him to the doctor on such and such date, kind of like a book, just stick to the facts. It does not matter right now about who lied about what, the Court will only look at the facts and if you get into name calling it only makes you look bad. 2kids for me has put things well, go back and reread what she has written. The only thing I think is that they can detain the children if they suspect munchausen and have that diagnosis confirmed by a psychiatrist while the kids are in care, but again I need to know exactly what is in the detainment papers in order to help you. Can you email a copy of them to me? Or post a copy here so that other's like Turtle that have experience can review them and offer you feedback.

Get a copy of the juvenile laws for both your State and Federal laws that govern this.

I am not saying that you are lying, I am just trying to have this make sense in my own head and then possibly have the ability to help you.

Also, I went back and read you post from August 2005, did you follow up with the gluten-free diet at that time? Did you have your children tested at that time? What was your doctor's advice then? When did you move?

Also Lisa made some good points, it's not that anyone is saying you are lying, just that we need more facts. OK?

2kids4me Contributor

I'm getting confused a bit too. Your kids were taken away and placed in "foster care" (?) - which it turned out was your sister-in-law who believes you are making up celiac disease. So CPS has never heard of celiac either?? They would place children in the home of a woman who is not a registered foster home - was she screened to see if it was a suitable environment?

You are not allowed contact yet someone must be telling you about the daughters's reaction to the removal of her AFO's and the son's abnormal bowel movements. How can CPS know about a child being in pain after medical devices are removed sit back and do nothing yet you have the children removed for pursuing a diagnosis??

How does the orthopedic dr get hold of the foster family (or CPS)and tell them - take the AFO's off, I changed my mind??? The mom mae me think there was an orthopedic problem? I am wondering how an orthopedic surgeon would decide his patient did not need something he prescribed based on a phone call from a pediatrician ? He would have to enter it in the child's medical file - as "remove AFO's and then give a reason" .............those records should go to your lawyer.

How do you find out about these conversations?

Please understand - I belive you and I know you are under stress (to the max) right now and you dont have to take them time to even answer this. Guess I am trying to get it straight and figure out anything I can suggest to help you. These are questions others may ask - so it may help to be prepared for these kind of inquiries.

Wouldnt the court be the one to appoint a psychiatrist to examine you? I dont know the law where you are - just going by what happens in Canada. Just dont want to see you waste your money to find out they dont accept the testimony unless it is an expert recognized by the court.

Over the internet it can be heard to determine tone of voice etc - I am not questioning you - I am only asking some questions. Sorry if it comes across differently.

Gcbec Newbie
I'm getting confused a bit too. Your kids were taken away and placed in "foster care" (?) - which it turned out was your sister-in-law who believes you are making up celiac disease. So CPS has never heard of celiac either?? They would place children in the home of a woman who is not a registered foster home - was she screened to see if it was a suitable environment?

You are not allowed contact yet someone must be telling you about the daughters's reaction to the removal of her AFO's and the son's abnormal bowel movements. How can CPS know about a child being in pain after medical devices are removed sit back and do nothing yet you have the children removed for pursuing a diagnosis??

How does the orthopedic dr get hold of the foster family (or CPS)and tell them - take the AFO's off, I changed my mind??? The mom mae me think there was an orthopedic problem? I am wondering how an orthopedic surgeon would decide his patient did not need something he prescribed based on a phone call from a pediatrician ? He would have to enter it in the child's medical file - as "remove AFO's and then give a reason" .............those records should go to your lawyer.

How do you find out about these conversations?

Please understand - I belive you and I know you are under stress (to the max) right now and you dont have to take them time to even answer this. Guess I am trying to get it straight and figure out anything I can suggest to help you. These are questions others may ask - so it may help to be prepared for these kind of inquiries.

Wouldnt the court be the one to appoint a psychiatrist to examine you? I dont know the law where you are - just going by what happens in Canada. Just dont want to see you waste your money to find out they dont accept the testimony unless it is an expert recognized by the court.

Over the internet it can be heard to determine tone of voice etc - I am not questioning you - I am only asking some questions. Sorry if it comes across differently.

OMG I had a whole entire response and as I was about to hit add reply we lost power. It keeps flikering on and off so I am going to type it tomarrow.. Sorry I really am .. We are having problems here becasue of the heat. I promise I will answer everything tomarrow

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Cindy,

The magazine Patti told me about is the Aug issue of GOOD HOUSEKEEPING with a picture of Rachel Ray on the cover. Maybe that will help you remember..it helped me cause i was needing that to help me too...fogged in CVS.

As others said on the board..get that paper work in order cause you don't want to be unprepared when someone asks you for specifics....you want to be concise and keep to the facts so make a list and have it ready ok?

Again,,GOOD LUCK...

Judy in Philly

2kids4me Contributor
OMG I had a whole entire response and as I was about to hit add reply we lost power. It keeps flikering on and off so I am going to type it tomarrow.. Sorry I really am .. We are having problems here becasue of the heat. I promise I will answer everything tomarrow

Heavens girl, you have so much going on, I hope things are coming together and you can get your kids back where they belong!

Sounds like some others have come with great ideas and contacts.

I was reminded by a relative today about a mom in the States had her baby removed because she was breastfeeding!!!!! (in the late 1990's)The LaLeche leage (they support breastfeeding was her advocate) helped her out. She had been breastfeeding an older baby (14 mo or something (heck I breastfed til 18 mo!), and found that when she was breastfeeding she had strange sensations - she used the term that it felt like an orgasm - technically the uterus will contract while feeding and can give that sensation - purely physiological from oxytocin release!

The doctor thought she was using the baby for physical pleasure and she was charged with sexual abuse. The LaLeche Leage had experts testify that this was normal but it took months. Crazy!!! Then you hear on the news about babies starved to death and neglected yet they keep their kids???

lindalee Enthusiast

I just read all this and it is so sad what is happening to you. With Celiac having this AWARENESS program going on this should surely show the public how inadequately we are diagnosed and how even the medical people are not keeping up with our ILLNESS!!!!! Running back and forth to doctors,test, operations, misdiagnosis, etc, etc; They are suppose to be the experts. I remember years ago taking my son to a doctor and when I told him my son had an immune deficency he told me "There is NO such thing as an immune defiency"...I couldn't help myself - I said "Don't you even read the New England Journal of Medicine?" I was so furious. This was suppose to be an expert! Needless to say, and thank God, I left his office as quickly as I could with my son. I hate to say this but they don't make any money off us if we avoid the gluten. Celiac Awareness has just got to get this out to the public. Studies are showing that there are so many suffering from wheat. My prayers go out to you for all you are going through and the strength to get through this and to get the help you need to get your family back together. Take care of yourself. Lots of Prayers, LindaLee

Gcbec Newbie

OK Everyone,, I will definatly address all concerns. I understand it is that bizarre that we even ask ourselves every day how is this happening , how can this happen and why? Unfortunatly we dont know, BUt, I will only say right now there is a HUGE HUGE glimmer of hope right now. although I can not get into detail because I have to be careful you never know who is reading. UNDERSTAND, every detail will be explained I promise. If anyone wants to PM me and give me there Phone # I will be happy to discuss it off the board and internet. What I am going to ask to day especially today,, PLEASE PLEASE EVERONE, I would like a prayer chain, everyone say a prayer for our family that TODAY the truth will be known and the right people are stepping up to help, and please give them the power to guide our children home. I appreciate everyone support, I know there are some that are skeptical and I understand please pm me. I will give you my # if you dont want to give your out. DOnt ever underestimate the power of prayer, I have not, and I have not lost my faith that God is with us and although I dont know why this happened I know there is a bigger plan for us, perhaps it is to send a bigger message and help all those that suffer with Celiac.

Thankyou all for the support, advice , and prayers

Cindy

CDFAMILY Rookie

Cindy,

Neurological can include many areas including ADD, ADHD. Believe me I know because I was there. My neuro never said I had either but every time I watched the commercial that talked about adult ADD…I thought wow maybe I have that. I had many neurological complications that were becoming severe but were not being addressed by my doctors because there were too many. Many were caused by vitamin deficiencies especially the B12 that is never found deficient until there is major damage because the range is to low, but many did not go away until I was gluten free especially the concentration and eye problems. Some are still healing.

My ADD felt like brain fog with no ability to concentrate, could not keep on task, could not read anymore, my vision changed and had darty eyes which would fatigue and blur easily, could not remember anything, could not take notes, could not concentrate if there was noise in the room, would zone out very easily and have to have family call me back. I would also get a warm feeling of squeezing around my brain but never pain with that. (Of course, when ever I said that the doctors would write pain….yes they don’t get it right many times….then someone else would read and say you have migraines????....No just pressure)

Other neurological problems are ataxia…balance and walking problems, tripping, bumping into every door and table etc. Then there is the buzzing, electric shocks, feelings of pads on feet, and other neuropathy symptoms.

Good Luck today

celiac disease Mom

Gcbec Newbie
Cindy,

Neurological can include many areas including ADD, ADHD. Believe me I know because I was there. My neuro never said I had either but every time I watched the commercial that talked about adult ADD…I thought wow maybe I have that. I had many neurological complications that were becoming severe but were not being addressed by my doctors because there were too many. Many were caused by vitamin deficiencies especially the B12 that is never found deficient until there is major damage because the range is to low, but many did not go away until I was gluten free especially the concentration and eye problems. Some are still healing.

My ADD felt like brain fog with no ability to concentrate, could not keep on task, could not read anymore, my vision changed and had darty eyes which would fatigue and blur easily, could not remember anything, could not take notes, could not concentrate if there was noise in the room, would zone out very easily and have to have family call me back. I would also get a warm feeling of squeezing around my brain but never pain with that. (Of course, when ever I said that the doctors would write pain….yes they don’t get it right many times….then someone else would read and say you have migraines????....No just pressure)

Other neurological problems are ataxia…balance and walking problems, tripping, bumping into every door and table etc. Then there is the buzzing, electric shocks, feelings of pads on feet, and other neuropathy symptoms.

Good Luck today

celiac disease Mom

Thankyou I will keep everyone posted

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Cindy:

I am confused. If my research is correct the Dr. that recommended removal of your children is not the director of child protective services but is part of a child protective team at a hospital that evaulates children for possible abuse? Did you take your child to this doctor or was the appointment arrainged by someone else? Please clarify.

Good luck today

Gcbec Newbie
Cindy:

If my research is correct the Dr. that recommended removal of your children is not the director of children protective services but is part of a child protective team at a hospital that evaulates children? Please clarify.

Good luck today

Ok Well I was told she is the director and that is what I know she claims on paperwork.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Cindy:

There are so many things about this thread that aren't making sense to me, I wish you the best of luck. I think it's best if I don't involve myself in this. There are alot of really great people that are responding to your posts so I hope what you write is true. Anyway, best of luck

Turtle Enthusiast

I'm becoming a bit confused as well...i've said from the beginning that things don't add up.

BUT.......

1. It's hard to always understand things simply via posts

2. My guess is GcBec has had to leave things out for protection (never know who's reading)

3. Anytime something like this happens it's overwhelming and can be hard to understand & then explaining it to others can become foggy.

SO....i'm gonna stop asking questions and simply am going to say good luck today and our thoughts are with you and your family...hope that good news is able to be posted from you soon.

Take care and hang in there!

plantime Contributor

There is too much about this thread that is not making sense. I am going to risk putting my foot in my mouth and say that the power blinking came at a convenient time, and the lack of answers the next day are quite suspicious. My mom kept trying to take my kids from me using CPS in Arkansas, so I have been on GcBec's end, but I learned through my trials that kids are not taken for the reasons stated. Having been a home day care provider for many years, I have had to deal with CPS as a mandatory reporter. The same results: kids are not taken from their homes for the reasons that have been stated. Munchausen's by Proxy does not involve >claiming< the child is sick, it means the parent literally, physically made the child sick. Yes, I had to deal with this as a child. I was the alleged "child being made ill" and my mother was the MBP sufferer. I am too suspicious of what I am reading, it is not adding up to the truth. I would appreciate proper details. My email is littlestingers@yahoo.com, anyone can email me at any time.

Gcbec Newbie
There is too much about this thread that is not making sense. I am going to risk putting my foot in my mouth and say that the power blinking came at a convenient time, and the lack of answers the next day are quite suspicious. My mom kept trying to take my kids from me using CPS in Arkansas, so I have been on GcBec's end, but I learned through my trials that kids are not taken for the reasons stated. Having been a home day care provider for many years, I have had to deal with CPS as a mandatory reporter. The same results: kids are not taken from their homes for the reasons that have been stated. Munchausen's by Proxy does not involve >claiming< the child is sick, it means the parent literally, physically made the child sick. Yes, I had to deal with this as a child. I was the alleged "child being made ill" and my mother was the MBP sufferer. I am too suspicious of what I am reading, it is not adding up to the truth. I would appreciate proper details. My email is littlestingers@yahoo.com, anyone can email me at any time.

I am beside myself with your remarks I sent you an email.. I think you should read about the facts before you post. Munchausen Syndrome byu Proxy is not making your child ill.. Please visit

msbp dot com and read about this before you acuse anyone of this. You as a parent that went through this should realize this. Shame on you. If yu are going to provide a definition do it correctly.

Gcbec Newbie
Cindy:

There are so many things about this thread that aren't making sense to me, I wish you the best of luck. I think it's best if I don't involve myself in this. There are alot of really great people that are responding to your posts so I hope what you write is true. Anyway, best of luck

Tavi I sent you an email,, I want to say I agree there are absolutly wonderful people here, there really is. Answer to your question, I was seeing the dr's at the hospital she works at. My imunologist we were seeing sent us there so she could help with the care with him. We saw her on 4/25/06 and 5/15/06, the office visit on 4/25/06 my son was sick in her office she gave him tylenol and told me he had a fever (my mom was with me) on June 8th the imunologist called and said why did I tell them my son was sick in dr office, I said becaseu he was they said no she said he wasnt he was fine. I said well she is a liar. The next day there was order to take children into custody. Now another thing, I saw this dr 2 times if she felt my son was in danger for his life why didnt she report it when I saw her 5/15 why did she wait till 6/09/06 (although they came 6/10 saturday morning 11 am)

Tavi it is really breaking my heart I am being falsly accused of something I came here for support when we reviewed records and found out that my son has celiac and the dr did not diagnose it. Hoping for support on how to go about getting him help and also to warn people that this can happen, taking child for tests and not being diagnosed is considered child abuse. I was on phone with Celiac Foundation and we were trying to arrange where we could give my son a diagnosis based on symptoms and blood test and genetics and we would speak to media about it. This would get Celiac in news and how important it is to diagnose. But I dot know what is happening yet so thats why I didnt want to put it out here. I am not trying to hide anyting anyone pm me I will call you or whatever you would like to have answers.

2kids4me Contributor
I am beside myself with your remarks I sent you an email.. I think you should read about the facts before you post. Munchausen Syndrome byu Proxy is not making your child ill.. Please visit

msbp dot com and read about this before you acuse anyone of this. You as a parent that went through this should realize this. Shame on you. If yu are going to provide a definition do it correctly.

Plantime

Yes, I had to deal with this as a child. I was the alleged "child being made ill" and my mother was the MBP sufferer.

There have been numerous offers of support and help for you. Just because someone is asking for clarification doesnt mean they dont believe you - this is the internet, no one can see the other person. If you dont want to answer questions - that is your right. If you read the post - she di not go through it as a parent, she was the child and her mother was accused.

Actually there are variants of MSBP, and YES some parents DO induce illness. This is the medical definition from: Open Original Shared Link

Munchhausen syndrome by proxy: A parenting disorder in which the parent either fabricates an illness or induces an illness in their child.Munchhausen syndrome by proxy (MSBP) differs from other forms of parenting disorder in that the offending parent is almost always the mother, she usually appears to be a model mother, there is little or no indication of family discord, and the abusive behavior is clearly premeditated, not impulsive, and not in reaction to the child's behavior.

Fabricated illness is the more frequent form of MSBP. The parent may claim that their child is ill, when the child is not. For example, a parent might claim their child is having seizures when the child is not. Or a parent may allege that their child is passing blood in its urine and provides urine samples suggesting this is so, whereas the parent has pricked their own finger and dripped blood into the urine sample.

Induced illness is the less frequent but more dangerous form of MSBP. This involves the parent inflicting damage on their own child. For instance, the parent may inject air under the child's skin or feed the child too much salt and make them sick. Some of these child victims die at the hands of their parents.

Claims have been made that MSBP is more common than is generally thought or that it is rare or even that it does not exist. However, cases of MSBP have been documented beyond a reasonable doubt and we have ourselves seen several cases. In all likelihood, MSBP is probably uncommon but in truth the frequency of MSBP is uncertain.

The psychological basis for MSBP is also uncertain. In some cases, there is a misdirected parental desire for attention. In other cases, the parent may have a history of mental illness. Or the parent may have been abused as a child themselves. We believe that the causes of MSBP may well be heterogeneous and vary from case to case.

The term Munchausen syndrome by proxy was coined by the British pediatrician Roy Meadow in a report describing two cases of the condition in 1977. Other names for the condition include fabricated illness by proxy, factitious disorder by proxy. Meadow syndrome, and Polle syndrome (after the fictional Baron Munchausen's only child who died at a year of age).

There are many cases of false accusations BUT there are also documented cases of REAL msbp. One was aired on the news where a hidden camera was placed by the father who wanted to prove his wife's innocence. Imagine his horror when he saw his wife partially suffocate the child , then call 911 saying he stopped breathing. This had happened on prior occasions and the mom kept getting accolades for "saving" her child from the mysterious apnea episodes.

I think you should focus on your children, this post was only for information about MSBP- as rare as it is, when suspected they have to rule it out. and yes that means innocent parents of chronically ill children are accused. I think there should be resources and an advocacy group for those families.

Some threads are started about a particular problem and then "offshoots" begin to offer more info about subject ...

I hope that once you get your children back - you have your story told by the National Celiac association and in the mainstream media so more people are aware of how sick a body can become and how symptoms come and go.

We should follow Italy's way - and test all children before they enter primary school

Gcbec Newbie
There have been numerous offers of support and help for you. Just because someone is asking for clarification doesnt mean they dont believe you - this is the internet, no one can see the other person. If you dont want to answer questions - that is your right. If you read the post - she di not go through it as a parent, she was the child and her mother was accused.

Actually there are variants of MSBP, and YES some parents DO induce illness. This is the medical definition from: Open Original Shared Link

There are many cases of false accusations BUT there are also documented cases of REAL msbp. One was aired on the news where a hidden camera was placed by the father who wanted to prove his wife's innocence. Imagine his horror when he saw his wife partially suffocate the child , then call 911 saying he stopped breathing. This had happened on prior occasions and the mom kept getting accolades for "saving" her child from the mysterious apnea episodes.

I think you should focus on your children, this post was only for information about MSBP- as rare as it is, when suspected they have to rule it out. and yes that means innocent parents of chronically ill children are accused. I think there should be resources and an advocacy group for those families.

Some threads are started about a particular problem and then "offshoots" begin to offer more info about subject ...

I hope that once you get your children back - you have your story told by the National Celiac association and in the mainstream media so more people are aware of how sick a body can become and how symptoms come and go.

We should follow Italy's way - and test all children before they enter primary school

Thankyou ,, and God Bless everyone her that has been supporting us. We are planning to go to media as soon asa we can for this reason. Almost all the parents here would do anything for there children, almost all the parents here have had there children go through tests and medical procedures becasue they were sick or there was a problem and did what the dr told you to do. That is what I did, nothing more God knows this. Especially since we have a positive celiac test, . You are right this needs to be in media we need to get it out there so Dr's can understand the symptoms , and learn how to diagnose Celiac instead of writting the mother off as crazy. What would any of you do if they came and took your children becasue you were trying to get them help, and they told you you are lying and making up his symptoms? What would you do if when you found that there is a positive test but you cant get anyone to stand up and diagnose you child, knowing this would bring him home... what would you do if they told you becasuse you put your sick child through test you were the worst child abuser there is and refused you to even have a phone call with your child,, and then even took grandparents rights away from child what would any of you do, because I did nothing more than love my son and try to help him, and nothing more than anyone here has done, Nothing, so how would anyone defend themselves against this? What would anyone do if they came through your door right now and took your kids becasue he had that endoscopy and blood test done? If I can have anyone stand up review my sons tests and give us a definate diagnoses. Please ANYONE

CIndy

penguin Community Regular

How were you diagnosed?

Gcbec Newbie
How were you diagnosed?

I was diagnosesd by 2 endoscopies severe damage ,, blood test, and By Dr at Columbia University Hospital.

Guest BERNESES

i'm confused... you said he had a positive celiac test but not a diagnosis. That doesn't make sense? Please understand that people here are VERY supportive and most would give you the shirt off their back, but I've found this story very confusing and knowing what I know about CPS, they would not remove your children for trying to have them diagnosed. I wish you the best of luck.

Archived