This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Werther's Original Hard Candy

2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

snapple Apprentice

Hello! I just did an online search and found the website. Werther's is owned by Storck; I do not believe that it is based in the US. If you want to contact them here is the website to submit your question: Open Original Shared Link

Hope this helps!

num1habsfan Rising Star
Does anyone know if Werther's original is gluten-free? The ingredients look okay, but I can't find a website or phone number to confirm it.

Thanks.

I eat them all the time, actually use then as coughdrops, and have NEVER had an issue with them! But I could be wrong...

~lisa~

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have a cup of them sitting on my desk, no problems here either

• 1 year later...
Christian Newbie

In answer to the question as to whether Werther's candies are gluten free................the ingredients on the back of the bag indicate that there is wheat in the candies.

psawyer Proficient

This discussion began in the summer of 2006. What was true of ingredients at that time may no longer be true. Formulas change all the time.

Werther's is a brand which applies to a number of candies. Christian, which ones specifically do you mean? The original poster asked about Werther's Original, which I have also eaten without incident, although not recently.

This should also be a reminder to always read the ingredient list. I admit I don't always do it, but whenever a package looks different than the last one, I read. If it is something that I haven't bought in a while, I read. If in any doubt, I read.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have not read the package in the last few months, but I do know, they did change the ingredients and included wheat. That's when I quit keeping them in my desk for that occasional throat tickle. I was very disappointed when they changed the ingredients.

This is their statement as of July 07:

Werther's

7/07

The following somewhat confusing letter was received 6/19/07 from Michael Phillips from the STORCK manufacturing company (312-467-5700):

"Based on the guidelines of the German association for celiac disease, products with a gluten content less than 200ppm can be named as 'Gluten Free'.

The 200 ppm limit is also a well known international guidance level based on the codex alimentarius. The following products fall below this limit:

Werther's Original Hard

Werther's Orinal Hard Sugar Free

Werther's Orignal Chewy

Werther's Chocolates

Riesen

Mamba

Milkfuls

Toffifay

Unfortunately, we cannot say that our products are completely gluten free because some of our products may contain small amounts of wheat gluten. So to be sure, and to avoid becoming ill, we recommend that you only purchase those products that you know positively are 100% gluten free."

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 year later...
Roda Rising Star

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

Open Original Shared Link

• 1 year later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

I don't see the Werther's Chocolate Crunch on this site to find the ingredients. I got little Werther's Chocolate Crunch in a cracker at Xmas dinner and am wondering if they're safe to eat. They don't have the ingredients on the wrapper and I can't seem to find them online! Anyone have up-to-date info on this?

Jillian

P.S. -- if it's Canadian info, that would be even better! Thanks~

Here is a link to their ingredients. I was wondering this myself. I want to eat one since hubby brought a bag home. I believe they don't lable it gluten free because of the glucose syrup they use sometimes comes from wheat. I have read that even glucose syrup made from gluten grains is safe because of the high degree of processing. I have eaten the cadburry eggs and they have it in too without any problem so I think I'll try and see.

Open Original Shared Link

karen577 Newbie

Thanks.

I read this forum earlier today and decided to take the risk and try a couple Werther's. I had a skin reaction later that day and I suspect it was from the candies since they were the only food I had today that was not guaranteed gluten free.

MelindaLee Contributor

Just from the name "crunch" I would be suspicious. Usually the crunch is either cookie or crispies, both of which aren't safe. I did find them on the internet, the crunch is from nuts. Unfortunately the orginal toffee, which is also part of it, has Wheat as a possible ingreadient (Wheat or corn). I don't think I would try them. <_<

• 10 months later...
gputman Newbie

The allergy warnings on the sugar free ones don't contain a wheat warning

• 10 months later...
Owlmuse Rookie

Has anyone settled this yet? There I was sucking my delicious werthers' hard candy only to see it has glucose syrup made from wheat in it! I was horrifid!! I've since done some research on glucose syrup but I'm still very confused! I've found that according to the werther's site, gluten free living magazine site and (in another post) the Australian New zelend equivalent of the FDA and celiac foundation that its fine. Yet I've seen numberpus posts by people who say they have problems. It seems to be a real issue abroad as glucose syrup in the states is made from corn. It just happens that werther's are from Germany. I'm a silent celiac and can't tell on my own what's causing a problem. Has anyone else figured this out? I mean scientifically, not just being scared of the idea or the word 'wheat'.

• 3 years later...
Amytjeeuh Newbie

I looked for it and found this: Open Original Shared Link
It looks like it's glutenfree!
xxx Amy

RadDecor Newbie

Amytjeeuh:  Thank you for sharing this Werthers' update in 2015.  Appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
xjrosie Apprentice

Ingredients: Sugar, Glucose Syrup (from Wheat or Corn), Cream, Condensed Whey, Butter, Cane Sugar Syrup, Salt, Soy Lecithin Emulsifier, Artificial Flavor.

Allergy Information: Contains milk, soybeans and wheat.

These are the ingredients for Werther's Original Hard Candies here in the USA. Candies manufactured in other countries may have different ingredients, but these candies ARE NOT gluten free.

Archived