This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cheesecake

Sheryl in NJ

Sheryl in NJ Newbie

Hi all,

I am new to this group. My doctor wants me to try a gluten free diet to see if I may have Celiac disease. I have been doing this for a week now. I am starting to really crave baked goods. I am (was, I guess) a carb-junkie...

I would love to make a gluten free cheesecake...today....

I bought tapioca flour, xanthum gum, brown rice flour, and potatoe starch. I also bought 3 packages of cream cheese yesterday. Do any of you have any recipes that I could try...???

I am starting to really crave something sweet.

Thanks,

Any other good recipes that you have that are not too difficult would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheryl

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I made this for my husband's birthday, and it was really good! It's massive and doesn't have a crust, make sure to use the biggest springform pan you have! Of course, you could probably halve it. Here's the link to the recipe:

Open Original Shared Link

ERIC'S BEST NY CHEESECAKE

INGREDIENTS:

4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

1 1/2 cups sour cream

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1 3/4 cups white sugar

1/8 cup cornstarch

1 fluid ounce amaretto liqueur

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 eggs

1 egg yolks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Bring all ingredients to room temperature. Place oven shelf in the center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Wrap the outside of a 9 inch springform pan with foil. Generously butter the inside of the pan.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Mix in sugar and cornstarch. Blend in sour cream and whipping cream. Add amaretto and vanilla. Stir in eggs and egg yolk one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Pour mixture into prepared springform pan. Place pan in another pan at least one inch wider than cake pan and add warm water to the outer pan to create a water bath for the cake (this prevents cracks in your cheesecake). Bake on the center rack of oven for 70 minutes.

Turn oven off and allow to cool with oven door open for one hour. Then remove cake from water bath and chill at least 3 hours before removing from springform pan.

Sheryl in NJ Newbie

I have a tried and true recipe for cheesecake. Can I make it just without the crust? The only ingredient in the base of the cheesecake is 3 Tablespoons of flour. Can I just substitute cornstarch for this?

Thank,

Sheryl

penguin Community Regular

In that small of an amount, cornstarch will work just fine in place of flour. Whether or not you can go without a crust depends on the type of cheesecake. If it is a NY style cheesecake that stands up on it's own, then sure, why not. If it's a softer type cheesecake, it might need the crust.

You can use gluten-free cookies crushed up and made like a typical graham crust with sugar and butter. I never used grahams anyway, I usually used nilla wafers or ginger snaps. There are plenty of gluten-free cookies out there if you want a crust :)

Personally, I like crustless cheesecakes, the flavor doesn't have to compete with a crust :P

jkmunchkin Rising Star

My favorite cheesecake was Junior's Cheesecake, so I found this recipe online and instead of doing the spongecake bottom I took gluten free ginger snap cookies (Midel), pecans - ground them up and then mixed it with some butter to hold it together and smooshed that on the bottom as a crust.

I made this for my brothers birthday and everyone raved about it. My aunt is known in the family for her cheesecake and they said that mine may be a new winner!

Open Original Shared Link

hez Enthusiast

I have found that cheesecake is one of the easiest desserts to make gluten-free. I use my old recipe and just sub gluten-free ingredients (gluten-free cookies for crust, gluten-free flour or none at all).

Martha Stewart has an interesting cheesecake that I have not tried. It really does not have a typical crust. She uses ground almonds to dust the pan and pours in her cheesecake. It looks really good.

Have fun making your treat!

Hez

elonwy Enthusiast

Pamela's shortbread cookies crumbled up with a little butter make a great crust. I use em for Pumpkin pies and Cheesecakes. I just use a regular cheesecake recipe and substitute gluten-free ingredients. Yummy. I just had oral surgery, but I think when my mouth heals I might have to make a cheesecake.

Elonwy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

floridanative Community Regular

Elwony - sorry you had dental surgery - doesn't sound like fun. Did you post about your vacation on this site? If so I want to find it to read about your dining in London. Glad you used the Pamela's method for crust sucessfully. I found that recipe on their website and I'm going to attempt a peanut butter/choc. no bake pie that needs that crumb crust.

Archived