• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Jennhaz

What Are Symptoms Of Celiac?

Rate this topic

Could anyone tell me the symptoms of celiac disease. How do you know you have it? Before I got sick I was having hives and it always seemed to happen with wheat but then I was getting it with other things. Before all of this I was really sick to my stomach and had diaherea..sorry but then went away after a couple of days. I have always had hives off and on in my life. I know I should get tested but I have been on a gluten free diet for like 4-5 months, I still get hives sometimes but my eyes dont get puffy as much...Jenn

Jenn--If you've been gluten-free for 4 months, blood testing/biopsy would likely come back negative. At this point, you could have testing done yourself through Enterolab, or go back to eating gluten (at the rate of 3 slices of bread a day for 3 months) and then have the blood testing/biopsy. Actually, the positive response to the gluten-free diet is enough for many people and even some doctors. In the end, it's up to you--whether or not you feel you need a firm diagnosis. If you feel better off gluten, then don't eat it! It can be that simple :)