This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Il Fornello

jesscarmel

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hi

I had my shower this weekend at il fornello. prior to going i emailed them and this is the great response i got:

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have been preparing gluten free options on our menu for a number of years now. Our staff,in the kitchen and on the floor, are very well trained about the proper handling of foods for customers who have allergies to certain foods or disease which restrict their diets.

Our gluten free crust is made in Vancouver in a gluten free facility and shipped to us frozen. www.quejos.com We prepare enough crusts for the day by par-baking the product before we prepare the other doughs with regular flour. The crust is always in it’s own “pie plate” with a raised edge while in the pizza oven or when being “dressed” to order, so that it does not come in to contact with flour. When the pizza is cooked we use gluten free utensils to cut and handle the pizza.

Our gluten free pasta is a rice noodle based pasta www.tinkyada.com that is parboiled ahead of the dinner rush in a separate pot and then portioned and refridgerated until needed. When a customer requests the rice pasta we refresh the pasta in the frypan that the rest of the pasta dish will be assembled in, not the regular pasta pot or it’s water is used in making a gluten free pasta dish.

I hope I have answered your questions and please let me know how your party was!

Regards

Sean Fleming

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

floridanative Community Regular

That sounds like a great place. Hope you enjoyed it!

• 3 years later...
mjr6 Newbie

I would not recommend eating gluten-free pizza at Il Fornello's. It's terrible and not cheap. It is the worst crust I have ever eaten. Very disappointed.

psawyer Proficient
I would not recommend eating gluten-free pizza at Il Fornello's. It's terrible and not cheap. It is the worst crust I have ever eaten. Very disappointed.

Well, this is obviously a question where personal taste is a factor. I have been on the diet for over nine years, and when I heard that Il Fornello had gluten-free pizza I was thrilled at the idea. We have been regular customers at the Bayview Village location for nine years. It is somewhat expensive, but I have tried other sources, and except for our own home-made crusts (from the Gluten-Free-Pantry mix), it is my favorite. We enjoy going there.

Archived