This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is There Any Shredded Cheese That Is Gf?

r-newsome

r-newsome Newbie

I thought that most cheeses were gluten-free, with the exception of Blue Cheese. My daughter had a reaction to shredded cheese with taco seasoning in it. Exactly what ingredient in the cheese contains gluten? Also, are all American, Cheddar(and shredded), and Mozerella cheeses gluten-free? Thanks for your help. (Any cheese information appreciated).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Connie R-E Apprentice

I've heard that some shredded cheeses are coated with flour to prevent them from sticking together!!! :( I wish they would list that on the package!

Be carefull!!

Connie

kejohe Apprentice

I was also told to stay away from all pre-shredded cheeses because they are tossed in flour to prevent tham from sticking together. I just buy blocks and shred my own, and my celiac disease baby has no problems. Also, the seasongs could be an issue too, I tend to stay away from any pre-seasoned meats, cheeses and spice mixes because they use wheat flour as an anti-caking ingredient and for some dumb reason they are not required to put it on the label.

• 5 months later...
kerri124 Apprentice

I am looking for gluten-free mozzarella and ricotta cheese. Anyone know of any brands? Thanks!

flagbabyds Collaborator

I wouldn't be worried about the flour coating I think she probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Anythink with seasoning in it is bad because most seasonings have HVP in them which is horrible for celiacs Kraft plainly lists if there is any gluten in their foods.

Guest gillian502

I've been using Kraft shredded mozzerella on my gluten-free pizzas. Is this a bad idea? They list only Cellulose powder as an anti-caking agent on the package, but I've never known if that was ok.

hjkmatthews Apprentice

To anyone who can help,

My daughter was dx the first week of February of 2004, and although we are adjusting okay, I still have so many questions. I could literally sit here and read every single post for hours if I had the time. She is only two, and I am just trying to figure out everything to make it all as easy as possible for her. I have issue in particular, and that is if there is any already shredded cheese on the market that is known to be Gluten Free. What is in the KRAFT shredded cheddar that makes it contain gluten? Please let me know if yall know anything about this! Thanks a bunch!

Heather

mother of KYLIE

gluten-free for 6 months

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

There's no gluten in Kraft shredded cheese.

There have always been warnings that some manufacturers might use flour to keep the cheese from sticking, but I have yet to find one that does so. I have found a couple of shredded Mexican style cheeses with gluten, but it's not because they use flour to avoid sticking.

richard

anglepoise Apprentice

I called the 800 number for Sargento cheese just now & spoke with an informed woman who said that all their cheeses, shredded or otherwise, are gluten-free with the exception of bleu cheese & Ricotta (which is made with vinegar). I then proceeded to call Kraft & was told that Kraft & Nabisco they have a strict labelling policy when it comes to any ingredients that may contain gluten. They said they would list wheat, rye, barley, oats, kamlut, spelt, farina or mir, but that one day soon, all their packages will indicate "gluten free" specifically. That'll be nice!

Angel

Guest ~wAvE WeT sAnD~

Feta cheese is gluten-free--any Blue veined cheese (Blue Cheese, Gorgonzola Cheese) contains Gluten. I think Parmesan (Kraft has a shredded Parm) is okay, and Locatelli (pronounced LOU-KIT-TELL) is gluten-free for sure. I'm Italian--I know me some cheese. ;) Those are the ones I'm sure and not so sure about...hope that helps!

crc0622 Apprentice

I bought Kraft shredded cheeses this past weekend for my first gluten-free pizza - they are gluten-free - the stuff on them for anti-sticking is potato starch, not flour. She probably got sick from the taco seasoning. Seasoning blends are always suspicious, esp taco for some reason.

I am a huge Penzey's Spices fan and the only products they sell which are NOT gluten-free are taco seasoning, anything with cheese in it (salad dressing mixes) and their soup bases.

• 3 weeks later...
stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi there,

i bought Shredded Mozzarella Style cheese last week. And they say No Gluten, MSG, Cholesterol on the bag. The brand was Lisanatti and they have "Lisanatti Premium Soy Sation" on the bag. It tastes really good. I mean i like it. I got it out of our local health shop.

Greetings, Stef B)

celiac3270 Collaborator

To top off my Chebe pizza I use Kraft cheese--they have a shredded mozzarella that is fine (oops, Richard mentioned that already). I also use some parmsean (sp.) cheese (but that wasn't some shredded kind so I guess that doesn't really matter for this discussion).

-celiac3270

P.S. So, Gillian502 -- it's not a bad idea at all -- it's gluten-free

Forty320 Newbie

Just a little personal experience: Since I worked in a cheese factory, I refuse to eat any pre-shredded cheese. So much gross stuff gets in there, it's nausiating. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a whole loaf of whole wheat bread was accidently dropped on the belt at one time, and was not noticed. They do sterility tests frequently, but they very clearly don't catch everything. I was quite disgusted, and this was before I even heard of celiac disease.

I won't be offended if someone who works in a cheese factory now rebuts with new information saying they run a clean place these days, because this was probably about four years ago, and I'm old enough to take correction.

- Dan

:)

• 12 years later...
CheesyTraveler Newbie

I work in sales for a large shredded cheese manufacturer. My wife and son are both diagnosed Celiacs. 

1. Anti-caking agents look like flour. They are not. They are often made from Potato Starch or Cellulose (a form of fiber found in plants).

2. There was a law that went into effect in 2016-2017 (based on the size of the company) that has made food manufacturing facilities much safer places. Our executives are now personally liable for the decisions they make. This law is the Food Safety Modernization Act and it grew out of the Parnell Pride Peanut Butter recall that landed the executive 28 years in prison, after knowingly selling product that tested positive for Salmonella. He deserved it, he killed people, it should have been longer, in my opinion and nearly everyone else's in the food manufacturing business.

3. It was definitely, without a doubt, the taco seasoning that got someone sick.

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Old post from 2004, anyway, non dairy options daiya, follow your heart, lisanatti are gluten free. Kraft claims all products are gluten free unless wheat is listed as a ingredient. I have been personally expirmenting with making dairy free shredable cheese blocks using gelatin in nut based cheese sauce. So far mixed results, works great with cashew cheese that uses tapioca statch. Having a bit of trouble getting it to work with my poor mans coconut cheese or my no starch versions.

kareng Grand Master
2 hours ago, CheesyTraveler said:

I work in sales for a large shredded cheese manufacturer. My wife and son are both diagnosed Celiacs. 

1. Anti-caking agents look like flour. They are not. They are often made from Potato Starch or Cellulose (a form of fiber found in plants).

2. There was a law that went into effect in 2016-2017 (based on the size of the company) that has made food manufacturing facilities much safer places. Our executives are now personally liable for the decisions they make. This law is the Food Safety Modernization Act and it grew out of the Parnell Pride Peanut Butter recall that landed the executive 28 years in prison, after knowingly selling product that tested positive for Salmonella. He deserved it, he killed people, it should have been longer, in my opinion and nearly everyone else's in the food manufacturing business.

3. It was definitely, without a doubt, the taco seasoning that got someone sick.

Thanks for that!  I say this all the time.  And if anyone used a little common sense - wheat flour clumps and gets sticky when damp.....

• 5 weeks later...
marsscott3 Newbie

It was probably the taco seasoning that did it.  The usual popular brands contain gluten.

• 3 years later...
Reasie Newbie

If the package doesn't say gluten free, it is most likely not. I wouldn't try it.  Even if all the ingredients don't contain gluten, if they cut the cheese on a machine that cuts products with gluten, it is contaminated.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum @Reasie!

In general your approach here is indeed the safest one, however many naturally gluten-free foods, for example dairy products, are not labeled gluten-free but are. Wheat isn’t used in shredded cheese products, and if it were it would need to be disclosed on the ingredients as an allergen.

Reasie Newbie
3 hours ago, Scott Adams said:

Welcome to the forum @Reasie!

In general your approach here is indeed the safest one, however many naturally gluten-free foods, for example dairy products, are not labeled gluten-free but are. Wheat isn’t used in shredded cheese products, and if it were it would need to be disclosed on the ingredients as an allergen.

If it doesn't say gluten free, there is not a guarantee that it is especially when it comes to cheese.  Gluten doesn't just come from wheat.

Scott Adams Grand Master

So if you eliminated all things that don’t have gluten-free on the label we’re talking about 95% of all foods. It’s important to be too strict too, as this can cause a lot of extra stress. I don’t expect my milk to be tested for gluten content, as well as many other naturally gluten-free foods.