This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Bottle Of Water Turns Woman Into A Festival Outlaw

angel-jd1

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I'm curious to hear what everybody thinks of this article.

Bottle of water turns woman into a festival outlaw

CAROL MCALICE CURRIE

August 4, 2006

The security forces at the Bite of Salem last weekend confiscated bottled water, plastic bags of grapes and snack-sized boxes of animal crackers.

Kristi Mackay of Aumsville wondered what would have happened if she had brought a baby and a bottle of infant formula.

"Would they have taken that, too?" Mackay asked.

The single mother of two was venting this week about the Bite's new policy that prohibits the public from bringing any outside food and beverages into the fundraising event.

Mackay said the policy is discriminatory toward people with disabilities. She has celiac disease, she said, which prevents her from eating wheat- and gluten-based products. She keeps grapes handy so she doesn't have to eat something that could make her sick or break out in a burning, itchy rash.

"We were set to give the suggested donation for five, buy dinner for five and get kids' ride tickets for two," Mackay said. "We wanted to have some food, hear friends in the band 44 Long and watch fireworks, but they spoiled it."

Mackay and her mother, sister and children left when the gatekeepers refused to allow her to bring in her bottled water and snacks, found during a search of their satchels.

"Their attitude was like we were trying to get something for free," Mackay said. "But everything there costs money, so of course we were going to spend some. (My son) Julian wanted a burrito, and (my daughter) Siobhan wanted a hot dog, and she really wanted to ride the Ferris wheel. She was so upset."

Bruce Bolton, Salem's recreational and public-events supervisor, said he understands Mackay's frustration. But he said the South Salem Rotary, which organized the Bite, sets its own rules as part of its rental agreement.

"We like to say that Riverfront Park is a public park about 355 days per year," Bolton said. "But about 10 days a year, it belongs to the people or organizations that rent it."

Rotary rented the north and south meadows, the Court Street Plaza and the two parking lots for three days at a cost of about $4,600, Bolton said.

Tom Fohn, who coordinates the Bite for the South Salem Rotary, said liquor liability is a big factor in setting the policy. He also said that the purpose of the event is to raise money to benefit local youths and that the event features restaurants, so organizers have to consider their needs.

"We understand the public's concerns, so maybe we need to think about looking at each situation independently. It's always good to review," Fohn said.

Debbie Leahy, the director of the Salem Art Fair & Festival, said she sees both sides of the issue. The art fair does not prohibit outside food and drinks.

"We encourage people to come and buy because we're there to make money for these groups," Leahy said. "We make policies that benefit these groups, but at the same time, we want to make the public happy. I feel for both sides."

Dave Koellermeier, manager of the Oregon State Fair, said it doesn't have a policy prohibiting outside food or drink. "But it's not in the best financial interest of our food vendors," Koellermeier said. "So we wrestle with it constantly."

Mackay said she'll probably never attend the Bite again.

But maybe there's a middle ground: Allow the public to bring in empty bottles to fill at the park's three water fountains or a limit of one sealed bottle of water per person? A little more understanding of people with medical disabilities, and letting a few grapes past the gate?

ccurrie@StatesmanJournal.com or (503) 399-6746

I personally would LOVE to maybe have a few of us write to the organizers of this festival. Seems to me that they are ignoring ADA laws/guidelines. Any opinions?

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

hmmmmmmm... something to think about that's for sure.

Guest Robbin
:( Unbelievable that a few measly grapes and water could ruin this for her whole family. If she were a diabetic would they have allowed her to have glucose tabs or lifesavers? How absurd that things like this are turned into nothing but money-making greed-scams. They probably sold water bottles there for like $3 apiece. I would boycott the thing next year and encourage others to do the same with these kind of events. It is the same as price-gouging.
penguin Community Regular

I smell a lawsuit...celiac disease is a protected disability...

If they were accomodating other disabilities (wheelchairs and the like), they're in trouble.

cathzozo Apprentice

I live in Austin, and each year we hold a three-day music festival, the Austin City Limits Festival. A couple years ago it was very, very hot during the festival and we were attending all three days. The official rule was one bottle of water per person. By the third day, though, everyone was bringing a one-gallon jug as their water bottle, and many people were bringing two. Security had basically written off that rule by the third day - because it clearly was a health concern. Unfortunately for many people (festival organizers and security personnell) things like celiac disease are not known and understood as legitimate health concerns, where heat stroke (which the security personnell themselves were susceptible to as well) is something everyone in Texas has knowledge of. I feel like we just need to keep educating everyone we can, to make it easier for the next person. Additionally, I think Kristi Mackay did the right thing by leaving. She garnered press attention for a problem that needs attention.

Catherine

gfp Enthusiast
Additionally, I think Kristi Mackay did the right thing by leaving. She garnered press attention for a problem that needs attention.

Catherine

Good point.

The problem with this sort of thing is simply that organisers can always hide behind "But what if it contained alcohol or drugs" and the counter argument is from a diabetic standpoint ... but I need my drugs!

I think its one of those situations that has pro's and con's and the unfortunate thing is that even if the good reasons outweigh the bad money grabbers will always be swung in the final case by mulching more money off us.....

I recently had a similar problem at a charity dinner (€80 or about $100 a ticket) and attended with no intention of eating the meal whatever.....

I got stopped with 4 cans of cider... (this is a 6 hour event) .. sealed .... because I knew in advance there would be nothing I could drink at the bar. Luckily I knew the organiser ... but that's not really the point.

Why try and wring every last penny? It just gets more people miffed and ruins the night... on top of the $200 I already paid for tickets i would have bidded in the auctions and stuff but i was so ruffled after the hassle I refused so they lost out.....

I mean they had a band .. quite a famous one but one I could actually get to come round to my appartment if they'd fit .(i know most of them socially). some food which by all accounts was rubbish anyway and a free glass of chapange (which I don't drink, especially on an empty stomach)

This is not even really touching the issue of it being a charity thing.... if someone is smuggling in a 6 pack they are probably doing it to save money after paying the entrance fee. A bit of charity starts at home wouldn't hurt in these cases either!

• 4 weeks later...
Sweetfudge Community Regular

I wonder how effective a doctor's note would be in one of these situations...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I definitely think this is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Hmmm.... certainly garnered some press, but should garner much more... I wonder if anyone else with restricted diets was turned away or forced to discard their food? Could get interesting. Anyone know media persons in the area? Attornies? (not that I'm a huge fan of litigation, but I'm getting there . . . . ) Anything that would hit them in their pocket-books . . . that would do it.

This past year, at one of our festivals, I broke a caster to my wheelchair on a power-cord that was poorly placed, HUGE, and not covered. It is covered under the ADA. I informed the festival chair -- he was a little "antsy" about if I was O.K., etc, but I told him that I would be back again this year, and if it wasn't taken care of, I would be filing an official report with the Civil Liberties Union. A first time fine of up to $100,000 and a second one up to $500,000 is nothing to be taken lightly.

Guest cassidy

I'm going to a football game next weekend and I'm already wondering how I'm going to get food in. I'm pregnant and eating everything in sight so there is no way I can go 4 hours without food. I'm going to bring my doctor's note (which I now carry on planes) and I will politely ask to speak to whoever necessary if they give me a hard time.

lonewolf Collaborator

I have a friend who wears a medic alert bracelet because of Celiac. She shows it to people in these type of situations and explains that she will become VERY ill if she even accidentally gets a little bit of gluten - that's why she has the bracelet. She's had good success.

lonewolf Collaborator
That is a really good idea.

It's the first I have heard of such a thing. I guess if you react as violently as some Celiacs may react to gluten, it can surely justify the bracelet, sorta like someone with a bee-sting reaction or peanut-allergy (anaphalaxis or whatever). Is there any "official" qualifications for getting a bracelet like that? Or, is it something your doctor has to prescribe or what? I have no experience with such a thing. It'd be interesting to know where doctors or whoever would draw the line at giving them out though, like, would you need to truly have an instantaneous severe reaction, or is it bad enough that a day after eating gluten you'd be in severe gastrointestinal distress and such?

I'll have to ask my friend how she got it. I don't know if you have to go through a doctor or not. I'm thinking about getting one for those once-in-a-while occasions where I need to bring my own food, like the topic at hand. Having to miss a day or two of work from being glutened qualifies as a medical "alert" condition to me.

2kids4me Contributor

Open Original Shared Link

UK: Open Original Shared Link

Canada: Open Original Shared Link

Medical personelle that told me to add celiac to the list of medical conditions already on their (the kids) medical alert necklets (necklets and bracelets are available).

In an mergency there are some volume expanders that are derived from or contain starch.

example:

What should my health care professional know before I receive hetastarch?

They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:

bleeding disorder or blood disease

disease of the brain

having intramuscular injections

heart, liver, or kidney disease

fluid on the lungs

other chronic illness

an unusual or allergic reaction to corn, hetastarch, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives

pancreatitis

pregnant or trying to get pregnant

breast-feeding

You do not need to go through a doctor - you just need to fill out forms (and you can do it online)

Guest ~jules~

Where did you find that article? I'm from salem, how weird!

gfp Enthusiast
I smell a lawsuit...celiac disease is a protected disability...

If they were accomodating other disabilities (wheelchairs and the like), they're in trouble.

Well fair enough i don't know US federal law on this but I really don't see how.

My girlfreinds mom does a lot of charity work for a foundation where they accompany people to different venues, especially wheelchair bound people who's carer might need a break. Being an artsy person she gets a lot of museums, galleries and sometimes concerts... but especially concerts in historic venues (its a big thing to have a concert in genuine Roman ampitheatres or chateax etc....)

However they have to really make sure in advance because of safety ... not just the person i the wheelchair but everyone else. I was at a recent outdoor event where people we packed in and behind a special enclosure for wheelchairs and each person had 2 extra security people to physically carry the disabled person in case of an emergency. (and I'm guessing help out with toilet facilities) While this is great you can't just turn up... you can't just let a wheelchair into a surging crowd of 30,000 people ...

However I have to say at the same time there were NO FOOD issues. You could take any food or drink in so long as its not in a hard case or glass. There were hundreds of food stands, non of which I personally tried but one was selling cheese and saussicon (the cheese probably being OK) with glasses of wine... and people were buying bottles of wine and the staff decanting it into plastic water bottles or you could take in a plastic water bottle full of your own alcohol...

In the same way this was a private venue... if they only want to allow people they choose surely its up to them?

In the words of Randy Newman

They got little baby legs

That stand so low

You got to pick 'em up

Just to say hello

They got little cars

That go beep, beep, beep

They got little voices

Goin' peep, peep, peep

They got grubby little fingers

And dirty little minds

They're gonna get you every time

Well, I don't want no short people

Don't want no short people

Don't want no short people

'round here

Plenty of private venues have "You must be this tall to ride" signs.

Guest Doll
I have a friend who wears a medic alert bracelet because of Celiac. She shows it to people in these type of situations and explains that she will become VERY ill if she even accidentally gets a little bit of gluten - that's why she has the bracelet. She's had good success.

I have Celiac Disease listed on my Medical Alert. I also have a Medic Alert travel card which displays that I MUST STRICTLY AVOID WHEAT, BARLEY, AND OATS.

You can get nice Medic Alert bracelets now aside from the stainless steel ones. Mine is 10K gold and looks like a normal bracelet to most people aside from the MA symbol.

I was always worried that I would be stopped with my insulin supplies and extra food for hypoglycemia when I went to outdoor concerts, festivals, bars, etc., but most security guards were fairly good. The one time I was given a hard time at a bar, they asked to see a Medical Alert, which I promptly showed them with a smirk ;) I personally would not take crap from anyone, since Celiac is a valid medical condition.

floridanative Community Regular

If water is sold at an event, I think patrons of that event should expect to pay for water inside, whatever the cost. But most festivals such as this will NOT be able to feed us, and therefore we should be allowed to bring something in to eat. I took my own food to the Dogwood festival here in April but it's a free event, and there is no one checking bags there and you can even take in non alcoholic beverages. When I was considering going to Dollywood with my nephew at an upcoming family reunion, I researched and found I could eat fries from one place and burgers at another.......and there was some safe ice cream.....and last but not least of course I could have a salad (no dressing). I can not bring any food into the park but I could leave to go eat elsewhere and come back....and pay the parking fee twice....no thanks folks. Others suggested I take a note from my Dr. but due to a major event going on that weeked at the park, I had no desire to go anyway.

I'm pretty sure Turner Field is not going to allow me to bring in my own gluten free beer to the park next year. It's just another inconvenience we have to put up with for now. I don't see it changing soon, but change will come eventually if we all do our part to make that happen. Complaining to each other is fine, but to affect change, you have to do something. Like others above have mentioned, write to this event planner and tell them they need to change their tune and accomodate all their patrons. For me, if I like the gluten free beer that Whole Foods is about to carry, I'm going to pester the home office of the Braves organizaion relentlessly about offering it at the games. If everyone with Celiac in Atlanta (and surrounding areas) does this, it will make a difference.

gfp Enthusiast
If water is sold at an event, I think patrons of that event should expect to pay for water inside, whatever the cost. But most festivals such as this will NOT be able to feed us, and therefore we should be allowed to bring something in to eat. I took my own food to the Dogwood festival here in April but it's a free event, and there is no one checking bags there and you can even take in non alcoholic beverages. When I was considering going to Dollywood with my nephew at an upcoming family reunion, I researched and found I could eat fries from one place and burgers at another.......and there was some safe ice cream.....and last but not least of course I could have a salad (no dressing). I can not bring any food into the park but I could leave to go eat elsewhere and come back....and pay the parking fee twice....no thanks folks. Others suggested I take a note from my Dr. but due to a major event going on that weeked at the park, I had no desire to go anyway.

I'm pretty sure Turner Field is not going to allow me to bring in my own gluten free beer to the park next year. It's just another inconvenience we have to put up with for now. I don't see it changing soon, but change will come eventually if we all do our part to make that happen. Complaining to each other is fine, but to affect change, you have to do something. Like others above have mentioned, write to this event planner and tell them they need to change their tune and accomodate all their patrons. For me, if I like the gluten free beer that Whole Foods is about to carry, I'm going to pester the home office of the Braves organizaion relentlessly about offering it at the games. If everyone with Celiac in Atlanta (and surrounding areas) does this, it will make a difference.

I think there is a big difference between commercial and charity events.

If an event claims to be for charity then it should make allowances for people who can't afford to eat inside. I can't see why going to a charity event to donate should have a income barrier!

"Sorry sir, we can't take your donation because we only accept it from people in a higher income bracket"

if someone can afford entry to see music or whatever but NOT afford eating then how can they justify denying them entry based on that?

In our case its a medical condition but this fundamental aplies.. its for charity but you won't accept to let me in with my own food because i can't safely eat inside. if you pay for entry and have to leave early because you can't eat that is discriminatory ....

Forget the sueing just think of the ethics. Its meant to be charity! You went to donate but since you can't buy food there they are not interested in your donation?

it doesn't cost to let you in.... and you are paying.... its just silly.

Commercial....

Well I think that's different.

They want to make money, they are only interested in money you can't provide as much as someone else. fine don't take my custom. its a shame when its someone you really wanna see (Im seeing BB King later this month)

The thing is i also have "other needs".... I can't be inside a crowd or have people touch me. Quite often I get to concerts where you have no choice and even though I paid i have to leave. Last time I tried to tough it out (Toto - yes they are still alive) I got in a lot of trouble and in my mind got assaulted (I really don't like strangers touching me or shoving me) the door-security people were really rude and physically pushed me about when I was trying to stick top a little nook

i did manage to see Saul Willams (slam poet) the other week but the venue was much smaller (50 people) and you could take in drinks (and even drugs judging by the smell) so long as no glass was taken in.

I had to leave a few times to go outside but I didn't freak out and the doormen were really nice about letting me get some space. - evn tried talking to me in English).

Lymetoo Contributor

I have a medic alert bracelet. I haven't added celiac to it yet. You can get cheap ones at any drug strore or WalMart. I have a nice one from QVC.

Archived