This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

French Fries?

powderprincess

powderprincess Rookie

I miss them. Are there any chains or local places (in MA / New England) where you know they are safe? So far I have not found any.

Happy weekend everyone : )

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sclark9602 Apprentice

I thought that Wendy's or Burger King fries were gluten and wheat free. Are they not?

jhhigh Newbie

There is so much I can't eat but I can eat Burger King french fries and I do about 3 times a week and haven't gotten sick yet! :)

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Personally, I don't eat BK fries - nor will I let my daughter. They are cooked with the onion rings, and then they are all dumped in the same bin for draining.

She has had McD's with no incident. Our local CSA Support Group has given their "approval" for McD's, but no other FF restaurant, that I'm aware of.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have been making my own. It only takes 30 minutes. Take 2 potatoes or sweet potatoes and cut them into french fry size, then coat a baking pan with oil, place the fries on the oil, then spinkle your favorite spices on top. I use Mrs. Dash Original. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400-450 and they should be done.

hez Enthusiast

I also like Alexia frozen fries. They say gluten-free right on the bag! But I agree, I miss french fries out.

Hez

powderprincess Rookie
I also like Alexia frozen fries. They say gluten-free right on the bag! But I agree, I miss french fries out.

Hez

I hear that. Thanks for the recipes and suggestions. Trader Joes also carries frozen fries you can throw in the toaster oven. They are mighty good, but man I miss french fries out.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

I would not allow my son to eat McD's fries no matter who aprroved it(Esply since McDs does not even claim that thier fries are gluten-free), there are way to many stores from McD's employess on this board on them putting gluten items (pies, etc) in the french frier, and before I knew better my son did try thier fires and got sick every time with out execptoin, as do many ppl here. BK fires are even worse, I have never NOT seen onion rings mixed with the fries. :(

The only fries I know of out that are safe is In-and-out , but we do not have that chain here. I have see SOME Chickfila locations that have safe fries, but that seems to be location by location.

Any time you eat out you take a risk, and everyone has thier own level of risk to accept, for me places like McD's are to risky to expose my son to.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

What about New York Fries? Are they gluten-free? I think they are, but maybe only available in Canada.

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

At least at our local Ruby Tuesday's, the fries are okay. The spice mix is okay too (they bring the shaker out so I can read the label every time) if you like that sorta thing. My husband/son have always been treated very well at our RT...

They both eat McD fries without incident, but it is true you have to be vigilant. I would never, for example, take them to McD's at lunch hour, and if it's a store we've not been too, I go inside and give the speech. (I skip all other choices and go straight to "he reacts to wheat, and he'll be throwing up right here if you get anything on or in his fries")

joanna

loraleena Contributor

Word of warning. Alexia changed the recipe for sweet potato fries and the bag no longer says gluten free. Why would they do that? I loved them!! There are quesitonable ingredients in there.

gfp Enthusiast

I think there are two seperate issues:

Firstly is if the fries are truly gluten-free, very low gluten-free or not .... if you are talking about a chain then this is usually consistent and everyone can read the disclaimers and publicity.

Secondly is CC. One McDo might be careful and another not.. same with BK... its really all down to the manager and the staff. Do they drop onions rings in or not is probably something individual to each franchise.

Any FF resto is by definition rushed and chaotic.

The completely unrelated issue is a bit of a pain, I could say why eat FF burger joints at all but being celiac tends to cut down other options like Subway....

Archived