This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wish Me Luck! Flying To A Remote Island

Guest cassidy

Guest cassidy

I leave tomorrow morning for 8 days. We are flying on a small plane to a remote island and the entire family (8 adults, 2 babies) has rented a house. We have weight limits on our luggage because the plane is very small so I'm trying to pack very light so I have room for my food.

I'm packing all my own food because they only have a small maket on the island and I don't feel like I can take a chance. I've been cooking for a month freezing food so that I have enough to bring. I'm doing fine with meals, I just need snacks to bring. Any snack ideas?

I am a bit nervous about the trip. I have shared a kitchen with some of these people before and it was tough. I really don't like food with gluten to be on top of/right next to my food, it freaks me out a bit. I label all my stuff so no one touches it, but then I feel like I'm being stingy because I won't share. I just don't trust them to not cc my food.

We had a family dinner a few months ago and someone reached over my plate to grab a hamburger roll and a crumb landed in my food. I held it together but interally I was like, can't you be a little considerate?

The plan is for them to eat most meals out. I'm not planning on the restaurants being able to accommodate me - getting sick there doesn't sound like fun. I'm learning to be ok with going to restaurants and watching others eat, but doing it day after day gets to me.

I am also an introvert so being around all these people in one house for a week will be a lot for me. I get up early and I'll go for walks because I really need my personal time & space.

I'm hoping this trip with be fun. I'm trying to have a positive attitude and be prepared to all situations.

Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

taz sharratt Enthusiast
I leave tomorrow morning for 8 days. We are flying on a small plane to a remote island and the entire family (8 adults, 2 babies) has rented a house. We have weight limits on our luggage because the plane is very small so I'm trying to pack very light so I have room for my food.

I'm packing all my own food because they only have a small maket on the island and I don't feel like I can take a chance. I've been cooking for a month freezing food so that I have enough to bring. I'm doing fine with meals, I just need snacks to bring. Any snack ideas?

I am a bit nervous about the trip. I have shared a kitchen with some of these people before and it was tough. I really don't like food with gluten to be on top of/right next to my food, it freaks me out a bit. I label all my stuff so no one touches it, but then I feel like I'm being stingy because I won't share. I just don't trust them to not cc my food.

We had a family dinner a few months ago and someone reached over my plate to grab a hamburger roll and a crumb landed in my food. I held it together but interally I was like, can't you be a little considerate?

The plan is for them to eat most meals out. I'm not planning on the restaurants being able to accommodate me - getting sick there doesn't sound like fun. I'm learning to be ok with going to restaurants and watching others eat, but doing it day after day gets to me.

I am also an introvert so being around all these people in one house for a week will be a lot for me. I get up early and I'll go for walks because I really need my personal time & space.

I'm hoping this trip with be fun. I'm trying to have a positive attitude and be prepared to all situations.

Any advice?

chill out ;) enjoy your holiday, try to relax but just keep in mind of your diet. have a lovely time, it sounds a lovely place where you are going :rolleyes: wish i was going <_<

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Last Christmas, my in-laws and I all went to Molokai, Hawaii for ten days in a house. There was one tiny store, one slightly less tiny store, and thankfully, a healthfood store (the tiniest of them all). My husbands dad baked bread every day, but other than that, it went well. I don't know what kind of island you're going to, but often the visitors you're with will become obsessed with mango, papaya, avocado, etc. and might not even have that much gluten around.

Admittedly, when I went I did not know I was celiac. I ate some of the bread...man was it good. Gary even tried making it from spelt since he knew I didn't eat wheat, and that was thoughtful.

Anyway, good luck to you. Which island are you going to? And where are you going from?

Lymetoo Contributor

Sounds like you have things planned out. I hope it goes well for you and that you can enjoy the vacation!!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

For snacks... I have a few ideas:

Baby carrots

Rice crackers and peanut butter

Glutino gluten-free bread sticks

Kinnickinick donuts mmmmmm

I personally like frozen corn cooked in the microwave with pepper

Hard Boiled eggs with pepper

Rice Crisps

Have a fun and safe trip!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cassidy

I'm back. This trip was very challenging. I was fine the first day, slept through the night and felt great. I woke up Tuesday for breakfast and they had gone to get fresh loaves of bread. ALL the counter tops were full of bread crumbs and the kids were walking around dropping cheerios every few steps.

I wiped all the counters down. Then I grabbed a bowl out of the cabinet. It had bread crumbs in it. I washed every dish I used from then on. I kept all my dry food in my room and tried my hardest to be paranoid. Tuesday night I had a stomach ache for 16 hours. That usually only happens when I'm glutened. Then I got reflux really badly (again glutening symptom) and had C for a few days. I didn't feel horrible, so I'm thinking just a bit of cc. I didn't sleep past 4am the rest of the week.

Then on Sunday I started getting really, really hungry. I woke up at 4am and had a snack because I was starving. Then at 7am I had two bowls of cereal. I cried because we were out of bananas (yes, I realize this is crazy). I went to get bananas and ate 3 of them. Then a piece of lasagna - all before 11am. Yesterday when we were going home I would get this hypoglycemia feeling (glutening symptom) and have to eat immediately. I ate so much food yesterday and I was nauseous the entire way home. I also had a headache.

We got home last night and I was shaking and I had to eat. My heart was pounding it it took a while for it to calm down. Now it is 4am and I just ate a banana with peanut butter because I'm starving again. This is after my two bowls of cereal at 10pm last night.

I don't know if I was glutened a few times when I was there, but I did not feel well at all. We are trying to get pregnant and finally ovulated on Saturday. I'm freaked out because I feel so bad I hope it doesn't affect our chances of getting pregnant. I have looked and it doesn't seem that being this hungry a few days after conception could be due to that.

Off on another trip on Friday. I hope that one goes better. At least we will be in our own hotel room and there won't be crumbs everywhere. I have had so many successful trips, but this one was the hardest by far.

• 2 months later...
ajay Newbie
I'm back. This trip was very challenging. I was fine the first day, slept through the night and felt great. I woke up Tuesday for breakfast and they had gone to get fresh loaves of bread. ALL the counter tops were full of bread crumbs and the kids were walking around dropping cheerios every few steps.

I wiped all the counters down. Then I grabbed a bowl out of the cabinet. It had bread crumbs in it. I washed every dish I used from then on. I kept all my dry food in my room and tried my hardest to be paranoid. Tuesday night I had a stomach ache for 16 hours. That usually only happens when I'm glutened. Then I got reflux really badly (again glutening symptom) and had C for a few days. I didn't feel horrible, so I'm thinking just a bit of cc. I didn't sleep past 4am the rest of the week.

Then on Sunday I started getting really, really hungry. I woke up at 4am and had a snack because I was starving. Then at 7am I had two bowls of cereal. I cried because we were out of bananas (yes, I realize this is crazy). I went to get bananas and ate 3 of them. Then a piece of lasagna - all before 11am...

1) Ok, I am resisting the urge to yell that your family was SUPER INCONSIDERATE. Or, at least, I tried to...

2) I think this is the first time I've seen it mentioned by someone else, but I get really, really hungry after the cramps ease up. Like, "I've polished off everything in the cupboard, what can I eat now?" hungry. I've been wondering if there's a gluten connection.

And no, under the circumstances, it is NOT crazy to cry about a banana shortage. I think most of us would have done the same if we'd been in your shoes!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest cassidy

I think the extreme hunger and crying was due to being pregnant! That was the good thing that came out of the trip! I have been starving ever since and I'm 14 weeks pregnant now. I had no idea my symptoms would start that early but they did.

We were are Green Turtle Cay and so I call the baby Turtie. I like it better than "it" since we don't know if it is a girl or boy yet.

ajay Newbie
I think the extreme hunger and crying was due to being pregnant! That was the good thing that came out of the trip! I have been starving ever since and I'm 14 weeks pregnant now. I had no idea my symptoms would start that early but they did.

We were are Green Turtle Cay and so I call the baby Turtie. I like it better than "it" since we don't know if it is a girl or boy yet.

CONGRATS!

Great news. May you always have plenty of bananas! :D

Archived