This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Cat Food

lindalee

suziew Rookie

My cat is diabetic and on the felinediabetes.com, there is a list of foods that are gluten free. I buy the fancy feast ones, they like it better than the science diet formula.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
my one cat was actually dx'ed with bulimia! Once we switched his food, the binging and purging stopped! The brand we use is One Earth Naturals... I switched his food because he was losing his fur in patches, he was also losing weight and was very lethargic and throwing up A LOT... the vet actually suggested gluten intolerance!

I couldn't remember the name of the food earlier, but we had to get more yesterday, so there ya go. within a week of switching his food, the vomiting stopped and he started gaining weight again and got his energy back.

Many commercial cat foods are laced with addictive items for cats... which explains the eating to vomiting.

If they weren't most cats would not eat when expected or catch their own food etc. and not choose the right bowl in 9/10 cat's preferred it tests :D

Franceen Explorer

My Kitty (pictured here and one of 3 in the house) eats very little meat. She will eat tuna in water. We call her the "lettuce cat" because she eats lettuce like it was kittly chocolate. Acutally it's not lettuce, it's "Nappa Cabbage"........she thrives on that and melon (!). (prefers cantaloupe, but also likes honeydew and watermelon).

I've asked the vet about this unusual dietary preference and she said "perfectly normal for cats" to need and want "grasses, greens, and things like melon and fruit"......

NOTE: None of her preferred plants are wheat, barley or rye and not really "grains"!! So that still supports the notion that cats are not designed to digest grains."

She doesn't get sick or D from it. She doesn't vomit from that, but she DOES vomit her dry cat food often, but not all the time.

SO, I've concluded that RAW (whether meat, veg or fruit) is best for this cat and maybe all cats..

We have tried to give her beef, chicken and pork, but she sticks her nose up at it.

So, just tuna and lettuce and melon for my kitty (she's 13 yrs old and very healthy, not overweight). And no CC this way either. (Hubby handles the dry food and dishes washed separately).

Felidae Enthusiast
Yea I'm not sure what's up with my cat! Does he need to be allergy tested to figure it out?

It was a long road of trial and error and testing before we figured out what was going on. The poor guy was sick for so long. Hey, kind of like me before the gluten-free diet. LOL. You may have to try various foods over the long term because changing their food too often may cause more problems. It's a lot of trial and error, basically.

Allergies in cats can show up as a skin problem or as a digestive problem. There are many other symptoms too, but I'm not a vet so, I'll stop there.

lindalee Enthusiast
Cats are carnivores and don't need any grains - grains just flummox their systems.

INNOVA brand makes EVO food, which has ZERO grains. That's what I feed my dog. They are a very reputable company. The food is expensive, but you do feed less. In fact, if you overfeed, you'll have troubles with poop issues. But if you follow the instructions and/or adjust out, I think it's good food.

You could also feed your dog raw food, but that is even more expensive, and grosses lots of folks out. Good for the kitties though.

Bully, Hannah seems to like the Innova so far. I have noticed the litter box seems to have large clumps. He also seems to not be coughing. Thanks, LL :P

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Cat lovers will love this...

lol

queenofhearts Explorer
Cat lovers will love this...

lol

My husband was just telling me about this! Hilarious!

Have you seen the one about herding cats?

Leah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I'm so glad! I miss my kitty. He died a couple years ago of unknown causes. If I get another cat, I'll definitely feed them Innova or raw food.

-Sherri

lindalee Enthusiast

trying to go to that post keeps saying the pop up is blocked -anyone know how I can go to the video?

Felidae Enthusiast
trying to go to that post keeps saying the pop up is blocked -anyone know how I can go to the video?

You have to click your Tools option to allow pop-ups.

lindalee Enthusiast
You have to click your Tools option to allow pop-ups.

Thanks, Cute- wish my cat would go on the potty.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Bronco--loved it! :D

Archived