This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pins And Needles

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

I have noticed over the past few days that I am starting to have pins and needles more often. It's not really bad in intensity but I have now got it in various places in my body - hands, arms, legs and I just noticed tingling in my face. I'm wondering what could be the cause. I'm seeing my GP on Wednesday to get meds for hypothyroid. I'm also being treated for aneamia. Is there anything in particular I should ask the GP to check for?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

samking72 Rookie

I get this too. Mostly in my fingers and toes. I believe it is connected to Celiac. At least that is what I have heard.

evie Rookie
I get this too. Mostly in my fingers and toes. I believe it is connected to Celiac. At least that is what I have heard.

Sounds like nueropathy... I had it for abut 2 months when I was @ my worst newly diagnosed with celiac disease. I was certainly glad when that was over. It probably depends on how fast your healing happens how long you have it, hope fully yours will be a short time. Diabetics are also prone to have neuropathy but it tends to stay with them. We have a neighbor who spends our coldest mon ths in Arizona because he can't feel the cold in his feet, he is diabetic. Your Dr. will be able to tell you more about it. Hang in there, it gets better as time goes on!! :):lol::) To you too cosvoose .. evie

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes. I had this for about a year before I was diagnosed. I had it in my face, left arm, legs and feet. It was worse on the left side of my face. Also, the bottoms of my feet would burn, as would the inside of my mouth.

The gluten-free diet has improved these symptoms. The only thing I seem to be left with is a mild numbness in my face, and sometimes an "altered" feeling in my arm. Happily, the burning and tingling have all but gone away unless I'm very tired or get glutened.

covsooze Enthusiast

the odd thing is though, I've been gluten-free for 6 months and never had this before :unsure: I am v tired though (cos of the thyroid problem) so maybe its that :unsure:

ravenwoodglass Mentor
the odd thing is though, I've been gluten-free for 6 months and never had this before :unsure: I am v tired though (cos of the thyroid problem) so maybe its that :unsure:

Have they checked your B12 levels? It might be a good idea or you could get some sublingual B12 and see if it helps.

jerseyangel Proficient

Sorry, I missed that part :ph34r:

Ravenwood's suggestion about the B12 was a good one--I would add Vit B6 to that, also. I found them both helpful in the beginning. Hope you find the cause soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

courtnxy Newbie

Susie,

I had that before being diagnosed with thyroid disease in '96, and this happened 2 years before getting celiac disease in '98. It went away quickly after starting thyroid medication.

I would feel it in my whole arm only a minute after putting my bookbag over my shoulder. I was taking college courses at the time, so this was something I did *frequently*.

My other symptoms: cold intolerance, heavy spotting in the middle of my cycle, untreatable headaches, sinus problems, leg muscle cramps and tightness, and extreme tiredness.

Courtney

debmidge Rising Star

Husband (with celiac) has this. This neuropathy started about 7 months after he went 100% gluten-free and he still has it and receives a B12 shot monthly (plus takes sublingual B12s twice a week).

He's been neurologically tested upside down and sideways and there's no reason why he should have this condition so one would assume that it's due to the years of misdiagnosed celiac which took a toll on his body.

lindalee Enthusiast

I have been taking the sublinqual B12. I have the tingling sometimes in my toes. Was researching it www.Weston A. Price Foundation last night. LindaLee

marciab Enthusiast

I have a fluttering feeling my arms and hands that started a few months ago and I have been gluten free for 11 months now.

Is it possible that this is a good thing ? <_< My finger tips don't look all wrinked all the time now either, so maybe the blood is getting to our hands and feet better than it used to. :D

I am B12 deficient but started injections 6 weeks ago and still have this. It's not as annoying as it was in the beginning. The feeling is not as strong as it was when this first started. :)

evie Rookie
I have a fluttering feeling my arms and hands that started a few months ago and I have been gluten free for 11 months now.

Is it possible that this is a good thing ? <_< My finger tips don't look all wrinked all the time now either, so maybe the blood is getting to our hands and feet better than it used to. :D

I am B12 deficient but started injections 6 weeks ago and still have this. It's not as annoying as it was in the beginning. The feeling is not as strong as it was when this first started. :)

I am glad you have been gluten free that long, sounds like your 'fluttering' may be on the way out. did you ever have it in your feet or lucky enough to have it just that way? Many diseases hae a set way it progresses or decreases but this celiac disease seems to be no respecter of that method. seems like we are pretty much on our own for figuring things out unless you hae an EXTRA good Dr. on this subject. hope you just keep on 'keeping on' as good as you have been. Me..I have to have a setback ocasionally since I think I am better than I am or whatever reason (sometimes get 'glutened' accidentally) happens to the best of us!!! :rolleyes: I thought I could eat more milk products so ate serving of Cott. cheese sunday noon and still having extra bathroom trips but better today. Live and learn is my motto!! Take care evie :)

• 2 weeks later...
Tay Newbie

Hello: I am new to this forum but am glad to hear a discussion about peripheral neuropathy. I had this, it was worst right about the time of diagnosis, and persisted for >6 months. My feet would pulse with electricity, almost like a buzzing sensation. Occasionally, I will get this in my face when extremely tired. Dr. Peter Green has a chapter on it in his book, Celiac disease. For me, it is almost completely gone now, but I have the same experience of it returning with gluten exposure. I think it is due to systemic inflammation and perhaps activation of inflammatory cells around the nerves. However I do not know why the cells would be there in the first place. Hopefully, it is not autoimmune attack of a nerve related protein. In any case, it went away for me with the gluten-free diet, which is very, very encouraging.

I am glad you have been gluten free that long, sounds like your 'fluttering' may be on the way out. did you ever have it in your feet or lucky enough to have it just that way? Many diseases hae a set way it progresses or decreases but this celiac disease seems to be no respecter of that method. seems like we are pretty much on our own for figuring things out unless you hae an EXTRA good Dr. on this subject. hope you just keep on 'keeping on' as good as you have been. Me..I have to have a setback ocasionally since I think I am better than I am or whatever reason (sometimes get 'glutened' accidentally) happens to the best of us!!! :rolleyes: I thought I could eat more milk products so ate serving of Cott. cheese sunday noon and still having extra bathroom trips but better today. Live and learn is my motto!! Take care evie :)
jesscarmel Enthusiast

Ive also been getting this in my left hand- but only since ive been gluten free- wierd. it usually happens at night. i alos have dizziness since being gluten free.........so annoying because you hear how weveryone gets so much better and then now i have new probs.

jess

sparkles Contributor

I have peripheral neuropathy caused from diabetis and dietary neuropathy due to my body's inability to absorb the B complex vitamins (certainly related to celiac disease). The pins and needles are a symptom of the neuropathy....hands, arms, feet, legs, and even my TONGUE are affected. I have been doing some research on the web about neuropathy and it seems like there are a lot of neurological disorders that are related to the celiac disease. Be sure to have your vitamin B's checked as this is sometimes related to the tingling. By the time, the docs diagnosed me, my villa were really flattened and even tho they did a biopsy, they could tell by just looking at the villa that I had celiac disease, so I have some permanent damage to the villa. I am on monthly B12 shots and take supplements for the other B vitamins. The neuropathy meds that are usually prescribed do not work for me. Currently, the neurologist has me in aquatic therapy and acupuncture. I am not sure that it is helping but at least, I feel like I am doing something for the neuropathy. Good luck to you. Be sure to have your doc run the entire B complex screening. Sometimes, the B12 supplements work but in a lot of cases, it is necessary to take a monthly shot!!

Tay Newbie

I believe that peripheral neuropathy can also be caused by Vit. E deficiency.

• 1 month later...
Tay Newbie

Can anyone recommend a B complex vitamin supplement that is gluten free? I have the intranasal vitamin B, but it will run out and I would like to take a supplement.

jesscarmel Enthusiast

i also only got tingling in my feet and hands AFTER going gluten free....not sure why

• 1 month later...
rozaren Newbie

:P

Thanks for all the info here - was beginning to think I had diabetes!

---

Life... don't talk to me about life!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I had this happen a few months ago, I had gotten allergies to the Maine Coon cat we adopted. I was put on Allegra. 1 week after being on the Allegra I noticed my legs felt very strange, pins and needles and almost as if they were falling asleep. I couldn't figure it out, but as I got used to my cat I stopped taking the Allegra, and within 2-3 weeks the feeling went away and never came back...strange.

I did used to get pain in my right knee, prior to diagnosis but since I was gluten free for a few months that went away and I don't think it happens much.

julie5914 Contributor

I get this, most recently in my left leg. I had a nerve test which showed no damage. My doctor also ran an ANA test for things like schleroderma and the rheumatic diseases to see if this was the cause (he already had diagnosed Reynaud's a while back). I actually think for me it is my muscles tightening over nerves and perhaps a slipped disk in my back.

Guest zoomom

I have been dairy free since Oct 06 and gluten-free since Nov 1, 06. My bloating is sooooo much better and I can eat without causing terrible cramping pains. However, in the past 2 weeks my legs have started tingling badly. This gets worse at night to the point it wakes my up often. I see the neuologist and my GI doctor next week, so hopefully they will figure all this out. :unsure:

Robin

• 5 years later...
ncallier Newbie

I have peripheral neuropathy caused from diabetis and dietary neuropathy due to my body's inability to absorb the B complex vitamins (certainly related to celiac disease). The pins and needles are a symptom of the neuropathy....hands, arms, feet, legs, and even my TONGUE are affected. I have been doing some research on the web about neuropathy and it seems like there are a lot of neurological disorders that are related to the celiac disease. Be sure to have your vitamin B's checked as this is sometimes related to the tingling. By the time, the docs diagnosed me, my villa were really flattened and even tho they did a biopsy, they could tell by just looking at the villa that I had celiac disease, so I have some permanent damage to the villa. I am on monthly B12 shots and take supplements for the other B vitamins. The neuropathy meds that are usually prescribed do not work for me. Currently, the neurologist has me in aquatic therapy and acupuncture. I am not sure that it is helping but at least, I feel like I am doing something for the neuropathy. Good luck to you. Be sure to have your doc run the entire B complex screening. Sometimes, the B12 supplements work but in a lot of cases, it is necessary to take a monthly shot!!

I realize that this is an old thread, but I really need some answers and hope that some of you will read my post and respond. I have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease with numerous symptoms that were misdiagnosed for years. I have had intermittent neuropathy for quite a while, but since adhering to an absolutely gluten free diet (with a possible cross contamination or two), my symptoms seem to have increased exponentially. I had endured undiagnosed dermatitis herpetiformis for over a year which worsened with a gluten free diet, but the absolute worst is this increased neuropathy. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement other than having a thyroid test and taking B vitamins? Please let me know your thoughts.

CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

I have limited information, but maybe it'll help.

I was in a car accident a few years before my celiac diagnosis. I began to have "sunburn" feeling and red-shading on my feet at first. Then my legs. Then my abdomen.

Ultimately, after nerve conduction studies, many exams (including docs who either said nothing or I should seek psychiatric help, ha!), my wife diagnosed me using Google.

She (and my acupuncturist) indepedently concluded that I "may" have something called Celiac Sprue. Longer story, short, I finally got properly diagnosed.

My symptoms are still evident, even being 100% gluten-free, but I am on a medicine that helps a good deal (effectively masking my symptoms). I take 50 mg of Lyrica, 3 x per day. It's expensive, I've gained weight, but my life is so much better.

Alternatively, there is a generic of a related drug "Gabapentin", but I started to have blurry vision after a couple of months. The Lyrica vision side effects are minor (I might just be getting old).

Anyway, there MIGHT BE relief through pharmacology, if nothing else. Wishing you luck....

• 3 years later...
Akron15 Newbie

Reviving this one again trying to get updates from anyone. I was dx'ed with wheat allergy at 10. I took desensitizing drops and never quit eating wheat. At 40 was dx'ed with Hashimoto's & kept gaining weight even when treated & glucose number kept climbing to high normal. I read & read how gluten could've been a trigger & is bad for autoimmune so I went grain free in July 2015. Within 10 days I started the twitches (mostly in calves & feet but can be in arms and stomach & back too & even an eye!), aches in arms & legs & especially in top of hands below last fingers where I am stiff in the mornings too. My right arm & hand give me the least trouble unless it's a very bad day. Most symptoms are worse at night. I had none of this until I went gluten-free. Anyone ever get an answer? My neuro appt isn't until end of Feb. My tsh was bad in October so my med was raised & now numbers are optimal & no symptom change. I took Vit D for deficiency and added Mag Malate and b complex and still no change. So frustrated because my glucose is now perfect & I have lost almost 30 lbs. I am slogging through life in a pain fog though. I Thanks for reading! 

Archived