Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chgomom

Watermelon -- Or Am I Crazy?

Hey all....newbie...so if this is anothe dead horse....beat me not the horse....

Anyway....has anyone ever had problem with burping or gas from Watermelon....

I was feeling fine till I ate it.......no I am burping up watermelon....

Prior to that....some enjoy life cookiies and a lara bar....both have never given me problems,,,

*wahhhhhhhh*;sad:

Quod me nutrit, me destruit

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't have problems with melon, but a friend's mum is allergic to melon, so it's definitely possible. Do you have trouble with cantelope and honeydew melon, too?

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Well thats the mix I was eating.....honey, cant, and watermelon....

Now....I'm burping...lightheaded,,,,,and blech,,,,

I guess thats one off the list for a week to see....

Anybody else out there???

I have always hated all melons, they make me gassy. I have a friend who is deathly allergic to them, so its definitly something that can be an issue.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

A friend has GERD and a hiatal hernia and watermelon is on her list of foods to avoid or limit! I can't imagine why because it seems like a pretty bland food to me. But it must be something because one night she ate a bunch and got sick...

If I eat watermelon on a totally empty stomach and wait at least 15 minutes before eating anything else, I have no problems at all. Because of that, it's a great breakfast food for me.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

melons, esp. watermelon, have a really high glycemic index. if you have issues with your sugar levels, it could be that.

Gluten-free, Vegan

Guest nini

watermelons and other melons are something that should be consumed on an empty stomach. Do not ever eat melons after eating something else. They go through you VERY quickly, so if you eat something that digests slower and then put some melon behind it, it's gonna be VERY gas produciing!

melons, esp. watermelon, have a really high glycemic index. if you have issues with your sugar levels, it could be that.

True and the protein is also very weird.

I forget exactly which but they are almost exclusively made of one essential amino acid....

I was feeling fine till I ate it.......no I am burping up watermelon....

Not dissing this but don't confuse what taste you burp with what causes the reaction.

My mother refused to beleive gluten had anything to do with her GERD because she always burped (insert strong food here) ...

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Thanks for all of the opinions....I did eat it after having meat.....and a lara bar.

I have been strict with my gluten free....so I can be 100% sure there was no cross contamination.

But....I was told possibly GERD in conjunction with the celiac last night....so now they have me trying Pepcid....I hate meds though....

Thanks for all of the opinions....I did eat it after having meat.....and a lara bar.

I have been strict with my gluten free....so I can be 100% sure there was no cross contamination.

But....I was told possibly GERD in conjunction with the celiac last night....so now they have me trying Pepcid....I hate meds though....

This is what I was saying above.

The more experienced you get at gluten-free the more you learn 100% isn't possible. We all make slips and stuff and things are badly labelled/ quality controlled.

If you have GERD as a celaic reaction then you will taste the melon BUT it doesn't mean what you taste caused the GERD.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Watermelon does do that to me. It makes me feel gross and I burp. Nothing related to celiac though. I have read though, that watermelon should be eaten on an empty stomach or it is hard to digest. I hardly ever eat watermelon anymore, because of this. I had it once this year and it was a really good one and it didn't do that, but it was on an empty stomach. I ate another one that wasn't as good and it made me feel yucky and burping, etc. so I haven't wanted anymore. I don't know why, but cantaloupe doesn't do this to me. Just ate a ton of that.

Monica