This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jenny's Enterolab Came Back Positive

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (Normal Range <10 Units)

I was kind of expecting this, but I was hoping that it would be negative. It was easy for me to go gluten-free because I knew how bad I felt. It's going to be harder with her. Harder for me than her I'm sure...

I'm totally ahead of the game on the food. I've been giving both the kids my gluten-free food on occasion. They love my gluten-free crackers and my gluten-free bread. I've only got a few things that I need to replace for her. So that's no big deal.

I'm worried about how my husband and his family is going to react. At first they all thought I was full of it when it came to my own celiac diagnosis. They're doing much better and are being really great lately, but I don't know how they're going to react when we're talking about their granddaughter. My recovery was so dramatic that I think they'll be okay, at least eventually.

I'm worried about her preschool a little. I'm probably going to take her out for two or three weeks, just to get her eating figured out. Try some recipes, bake some gluten-free cookies together, get through the first couple accidental glutenings. I'll also need to "inform and interogate" the lunch ladies at her school. We'll see how that goes. They're all really nice there, so I'm sure unless I get some eye-rolling or something equally exasperating, I'll be willing to walk them through the learning process. We have other preschools in the area I can change her to if needed, but she has so much fun there, and loves her teacher, so I want to keep her there if at all possible.

I'm really glad that I found out about celiac and we were able to figure this out for me and for her. Looking back on my life, I had celiac-related issues since I was her age. Over the last few months (since right after she had to be on two courses of antibiotics back-to-back), her symptoms have really come to the forefront. Thank GOD she won't have to go through a life of being tired and not feeling well with no identifiable reason behind it. Thank God she'll be able to concentrate in school. Thank God her career choices won't be based on things she can do while still sleeping to noon because she has insomnia and anxiety dreams every night and is always exhausted. Thank God she'll be healthier than I was all those years.

My son still needs to get the fecal test done. It just occurred to me the other day that if I have to put one of them gluten-free, I'm going to have to put both of them gluten-free at least for now. And with the way antibodies work, if I'm ever going to know if he has gluten intolerance, I'm going to need to test him now. He's got soft stools at least a couple times a day, he's got language delay and although he's normal to tall in height, he's 13th percentile in weight. When you look at him he doesn't look skinny for his height, but he's 2-1/2 and wearing 12month size shorts. 18months are really baggy and 2T's just fall off. I ordered the fecal gluten sensitivity test for him too. The test kit should be here in a couple of days. So a few weeks and I'll have results for both of them.

Well thanks everybody for listening and letting me think out loud.

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nic Collaborator

Hi, my son was 4 when he was diagnosed and he transitioned to the new diet very well. Ocassionally still says he misses cheerios or something like that but has a pretty firm understanding of why he can't eat them. But overall, he has done very well with the food and when someone offers him something he can't have, he says "I can't eat that". I am sure your daughter will do as well :) .

Nicole

Sarah8793 Enthusiast
Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 15 (Normal Range <10 Units)

I was kind of expecting this, but I was hoping that it would be negative. It was easy for me to go gluten-free because I knew how bad I felt. It's going to be harder with her. Harder for me than her I'm sure...

I'm totally ahead of the game on the food. I've been giving both the kids my gluten-free food on occasion. They love my gluten-free crackers and my gluten-free bread. I've only got a few things that I need to replace for her. So that's no big deal.

I'm worried about how my husband and his family is going to react. At first they all thought I was full of it when it came to my own celiac diagnosis. They're doing much better and are being really great lately, but I don't know how they're going to react when we're talking about their granddaughter. My recovery was so dramatic that I think they'll be okay, at least eventually.

I'm worried about her preschool a little. I'm probably going to take her out for two or three weeks, just to get her eating figured out. Try some recipes, bake some gluten-free cookies together, get through the first couple accidental glutenings. I'll also need to "inform and interogate" the lunch ladies at her school. We'll see how that goes. They're all really nice there, so I'm sure unless I get some eye-rolling or something equally exasperating, I'll be willing to walk them through the learning process. We have other preschools in the area I can change her to if needed, but she has so much fun there, and loves her teacher, so I want to keep her there if at all possible.

I'm really glad that I found out about celiac and we were able to figure this out for me and for her. Looking back on my life, I had celiac-related issues since I was her age. Over the last few months (since right after she had to be on two courses of antibiotics back-to-back), her symptoms have really come to the forefront. Thank GOD she won't have to go through a life of being tired and not feeling well with no identifiable reason behind it. Thank God she'll be able to concentrate in school. Thank God her career choices won't be based on things she can do while still sleeping to noon because she has insomnia and anxiety dreams every night and is always exhausted. Thank God she'll be healthier than I was all those years.

My son still needs to get the fecal test done. It just occurred to me the other day that if I have to put one of them gluten-free, I'm going to have to put both of them gluten-free at least for now. And with the way antibodies work, if I'm ever going to know if he has gluten intolerance, I'm going to need to test him now. He's got soft stools at least a couple times a day, he's got language delay and although he's normal to tall in height, he's 13th percentile in weight. When you look at him he doesn't look skinny for his height, but he's 2-1/2 and wearing 12month size shorts. 18months are really baggy and 2T's just fall off. I ordered the fecal gluten sensitivity test for him too. The test kit should be here in a couple of days. So a few weeks and I'll have results for both of them.

Well thanks everybody for listening and letting me think out loud.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I know exactly how you feel right now. My dh was a little surprised and both of us were concerned about how this would affect the kids. My ds, who is 7 woke up this morning upon his first gluten free day and began crying about how he didn't want this. I guess he hadn't been paying attention to all of the things I *can* eat because he started asking if there was a gluten free peanut butter and gluten free jelly. :D He was relieved to hear that he can still have these. I took him to the grocery store and bought some gluten free treats, and by afternoon he was visibly optimistic about his new lifestyle. I think my dd (4 years old) will be even easier because she isn't as socialized as my ds. Our inlaws don't even know yet that I am gluten-free/cf and now the kids. They will think I'm just weird and denying my children unecessarily. But then again I have never been able to please them. I'm not worried about doing it now either. I feel like you, in that I am preventing a whole bunch of medical ailments in the future for my kids. :)

Nantzie Collaborator

Thanks guys. I told my husband when he got home from work and he's been pretty quiet about it, but then again so have I. He didn't seem surprised at all. Time will tell if there are going to be any issues with his family or anything like that.

I'm feeling pretty okay. I found out that there's a R.O.C.K. support group that meets near my husband's work (and we'll be moving out there in about a year or so). So that will be convenient.

I also got glutened earlier today, so that probably accounts for my being down a little. Stupid envelope glue. :rolleyes:

I was thinking about going ahead and just explaining this whole thing to Jenny. She's probably more able to understand than I give her credit for. She's also been the one saying her tummy hurts every few days, having diarrhea and being a lot more tired. So I'm sure on some level, she'll be okay with it. She's probably having more issues that I don't know about. I mean, I never realized I had a headache 24/7/365 until it was gone after I went gluten-free.

Well I hope all of our kids are on the road to feeling better and doing well eating gluten-free.

Nancy

Archived