This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pro Plan Dry Dog Food And Toddler

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

Oh my gosh - I can't believe I didn't even think about this until I read a post a few minutes ago on a different thread. My 17 month old is constantly playing with our dog's food and I know it probably has gluten in it - not sure since I threw the bag away and put food in plastic container. Anyways I feel bad. She has had diarrhea for the past two days put I thought she might be teething since she also had a diaper rash (previous teething accompanied with rash) but now I think it was becasue she was touching the dog food. Anyways in either case no more playing with the dog food. I just wanted to let you all know how invaluable this forum is to people. My daughter was diagnosed two weeks ago so I am extremely new to this and love reading the various posts, as they prove invaluable. Can't wait to tell DH about dog food tomorrow as he is sleeping now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gfp Enthusiast
Oh my gosh - I can't believe I didn't even think about this until I read a post a few minutes ago on a different thread. My 17 month old is constantly playing with our dog's food and I know it probably has gluten in it - not sure since I threw the bag away and put food in plastic container. Anyways I feel bad. She has had diarrhea for the past two days put I thought she might be teething since she also had a diaper rash (previous teething accompanied with rash) but now I think it was becasue she was touching the dog food. Anyways in either case no more playing with the dog food. I just wanted to let you all know how invaluable this forum is to people. My daughter was diagnosed two weeks ago so I am extremely new to this and love reading the various posts, as they prove invaluable. Can't wait to tell DH about dog food tomorrow as he is sleeping now.

I think we all learn things here....

I would say that regardless of the toddler playing with the food you can't stop the dog transferring it on whiskers, running over to the kid and transferring some directly to her face or hands etc.

sarahjo Newbie

our celiac child has a dog, we put the food into container, she carries the dish and tries very hard not to touch it. As far as the dogs licking her, would it help to give them their food and then some water, it will rinse of some the residue...we go to the allergist next week because she keeps breaking out into hives, i wonder if it is from that? umm

TCA Contributor

We feed our dog and cats at night right after putting our son to bed. We've had success with this since they have all night to wear it off. Just an idea!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

We switched our animals to a totally grain free food, Evo by Innova, their response has been great. Their coats are better, less shedding, less vomiting for one who was a throw up king, and best of all I don't have to sterilize the kitchen whenever I cook anything. If you can switch foods that would be great for you and the dog.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I switched to grain-free (except for rice) dog food, also. Even the biscuits are gluten-free. This way I'm much more safe and there's one more thing that isn't a potential problem.

There's a thread or two that list some gluten-free dog foods - you could do a search.

I'm using Nutro Natural Choice dry and "Chops" biscuits that I got at PetCo. there are other brands, also, but this store is near me so is handy.

VydorScope Proficient

WE ahve the same problem with our toddler and dog, so we swithed to gluten-free food and treats for our dog. Funny thing is the dog seems a bit healither for it. We use Kraft Milk Bone Chewy Dog treats as a treat and Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice dog food. Both are easy found at just about any pet store.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
ShellyT Newbie

It is not surprising at all that your dogs are healthier. Dogs are not ment to eat grains. Many dogs have wheat allergies. Our kids can feel they are not alone because even their dog can't eat wheat. We feed our dogs Canadae. There are others that contain no grains too.

• 2 weeks later...
sillyactsue Explorer

Cool!

I thought it was probably asking to much that there would be gluten free dog food. I have so many other things I have to look into that this was on the back burner. Aimee isn't allowed to touch the dog's food or dish or mouth and usually the dog doesn't lick her. I just tell her that those things are dirty and might hurt her. Better though will be when I find where to get some good dog food in hicks ville USA.

Thanks for the info,

Gloria

gfp Enthusiast
Cool!

I thought it was probably asking to much that there would be gluten free dog food. I have so many other things I have to look into that this was on the back burner. Aimee isn't allowed to touch the dog's food or dish or mouth and usually the dog doesn't lick her. I just tell her that those things are dirty and might hurt her. Better though will be when I find where to get some good dog food in hicks ville USA.

Thanks for the info,

Gloria

Just feed it what you eat.....supplimented with low grade meats.

Its probably easier to buy from a butcher/farmer in hicksville than a big city....

Dogs are omnivorous though they do benefit from more meat than we do ....

root vegetables, left overs (preferably not spicy) ... and all of this will be healthier for the dog than dried food.

I really don't think that if the dog is eating dried food you can stop it transferring it round the house, they are such messy eaters.

Perhaps a cat since they are pretty exacting eaters somewhere on the internet is a joke about how to give a cat a pill... and then how to give a dog a pill.... the cat one is 2 pages which ends with the whole house wrecked and the owner in hospital... the dog one is stick it in a piece of meat!

Don't get me wrong I love dogs... but their eating habits are not very sophisticated to say the least.

When dogs eat they spread food everywhere... they carry it in their "beards" and "bury" bits of it everywhere...crumbs on the carpet and anything they touch... thats just dogs being dogs!

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

we feed the dog before the kids get up and again after they go to bed, other than that, I made him some gluten free dog treats and he doesn't lick.......anyone........ever.

we haven't had a problem.

I have to wear gloves of course since I have celiac too, but it hasn't glutened me yet.

Archived