This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weird Question

justme

justme Enthusiast

So for many years I was told I had IBS.. lately I've been thinking no.. maybe it's Celiac's.. I went on a gluten free diet and felt much better.. I had the blood test done and I am still waiting for results.. regardless of what the results are I will follow the gluten free diet simply because I feel better.. now here comes the weird question.. my main symptom was gas.. I had terrible gas and bloating every day before going gluten free and sometimes taking over the counter gas meds would help.. when I first started the gluten free diet I was gas free.. so I thought hey.. this is the answer.. today I am feeling a little bit gassy and i'm not sure if its due to the soup I had.. vegetarian black bean a. because its all beans which are naturally gassy or b. panera which I read this soup is celiac friendly but you never know oooor maybe it's the milk... when I first went gluten free I also wasn't eating dairy... I had milk in my cereal and milk in iced coffee... either way I am gassy... question is.. when gassy what do you all take? is there a gluten free over the counter gas medicine? lol.. so long embarrassing story for a simple question.. any info would be GREATLY appreciated.. thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I don't think you should be embarassed. I'm sure everyone here has some embarassing questions or stories to share. We all have one thing in common...most of us anyway :)

Gas and bloating were my main (and most painful) gluten symptoms before I went gluten-free. I usually just take some anti-gas pills if I hurt, drink some mint or fennel tea, and if I am planning on eating beans of any kind I try to take beano before. I also try to incorporate a lot of fiber in my diet, to cleanse my insides. I love fruit, and I've read that mango and papaya have lots of good digestive ensymes so I stock up on the dried fruit! My gas has been much better since my diet changes, but I still get it sometimes. I think it's due to beans too. But it's not horrible so I just deal with it :)

elonwy Enthusiast

Beano now lists "trace amounts" of wheat on thier products, so that may not be an answer anymore. It always made my stomach hurt worse than whatever I was trying to take it for. I take Nulev, which is a prescription medicine for IBS which helps with gas, bloating and cramps. I usually only take it for an accidental glutening. Beans make me gassy, and I try to eat them at appropriate times so it doesn't affect others. :)

Elonwy

mle-ii Explorer

GasX or any OTC drug (simithcone (sp)) that says it relieves gas most likely only really helps with gas that's in the upper GI, belching/burping for example It does nothing or very little to help abdominal gas.

The only thing that helped with regards to abdominal gas is to either avoid/limit the food or take a digestive enzyme that helps to break it down.

justjane Rookie

Try leaving the dairy alone, as gas is a sign of lactose intolerance.

Good Luck!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

My main symptom was gas and BLOATING before I went WHEAT free two years ago. That really helped. I also went dairy free, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Three months ago I went gluten free, and intitially got the gassyness and bloating back. it was really frustrating. I eventually cut out all grains and beans...but still a bit bloaty and gassy.

So I tried a yeast-killing diet, and that is when the bloating stopped. I've actually been bloated again now for over a week, but I've also been eating more sugar and fruit, which I wasn't supposed to add back quite so fast.

So if all else fails, look up THE BODY ECOLOGY DIET, or any other yeast killing diet. It's tough going, but it can help.

Archived