This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pet Food

lorka150

lorka150 Collaborator

Hi everyone,

My sister is moving in with me for two weeks with her kitty. Her kitty has gluten-y food. When I go visit her, I don't play with it, because I am a notorious hands-to-my-mouth type of person, always biting my nails and whatnot, so I don't want to get glutened by her cat food.

Anyway, I am a little concerned about the cat bringing it around the house... Is this anal? I don't know, because I don't own any pets and have never co-habitated with a cat. I've no problem buying gluten-free cat food whilst she is here, but for some reason, I think I've heard that you can't just 'switch' the food...

Either way, any insight from pet owners?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

gfp Enthusiast

Cat's can be really fussy so I see your problem for 2 weeks.

If its wet food its less of a problem IMHO than the dry food but its still a risk.

You could try making something or switch to a gluten-free one.. a lot depends on how varied the cats diet is already.

If its wet food then if it eats a few brands you might find one gluten-free, if not you can make your own.

If you try then things like chicken with gravy and gelatine (can be made from the chicken bones) are a best bet but make sure to add some rice or something because if the cat is used to stuff with padded out fillers like gluten stuff it's digestive system (such as it is in a cat*) is likley to get confused and cause D.

You can with practice stick your finger up a cat's bum straight into its stomach..I've watched a vet do it! :o its intestine is just a straight tube and not in any way designed for digesting anything but meat so almost anything that's not meat is fibre for a cat.

lorka150 Collaborator

thanks for the responses. it's a kitten, so i'll talk to my sister about briefly switching and see what we can do.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Lorka :)

I have a cat who eats food that contains gluten. He's 14, and I don't want to change his food at this stage.

I have never had a problem with this. We use dry food--my husband transfers the food from the bag into a Rubbermaid cereal container with a flip-down lid (he does this out on our deck). Most mornings, my son feed the cat, but if I do, I just handle the container and wash my hands after. I never touch the food itself--there's no need.

lorka150 Collaborator

Thank you :)

I figure if I get sick, I'll know why, as the whole house otherwise is gluten-free.

I'm a little nervous, but it's temporary!

kari Apprentice

i have two cats who have never eaten anything other than ordinary dry cat food. we keep it in a plastic cereal container with a lid that pours, and while i'm not the only one who feeds them, i pour it into their dish at least several times a day and have never ever had any problem with that or even thought anything about it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

I really don't think you have to worry too much. Just wash your hands if you feed him/her. Cats are very clean, especially after eating. They like to have a clean face. My bet is that that you'll fall in love with the kitty and at that point you will relax and have a great time.

You can with practice stick your finger up a cat's bum straight into its stomach..I've watched a vet do it!

Please don't do this.

lorka150 Collaborator
Please don't do this.

:D

I was NOT planning on it!

Archived