This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test I Had A Few Years Ago....maybe A Clue?

dellatigre

dellatigre Newbie

Hi everyone. I am wondering of anyone can help me with this. I just found an older test I had....it is when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me...why was I getting weaker and weaker and having more stomach problems? I had a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis done through a chiropractor/natural doctor. The test is from Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory. My results were significant yet no one at that time knew what to make of them. The Immunology part of the test showed fecal sIgA. Normal ranges are from 44-183. Mine were 1, 130! REALLY high. I have no idea if this just means I have an autoimmune disease....or if it is specific for Celiac or another food allergy? I know it must be a clue but when I try to show my rheumatologist they say...I didnt do that test....and dont bother to look at it. BTW...Ihave been disgnosed with dermatomyositis but it has been difficult to treat...and I have a "GUT" feeling that I may have Celiac causing the immune problems.

Any help or info. would be great.

I am so grateful I found this board....

Rachael

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hi everyone. I am wondering of anyone can help me with this. I just found an older test I had....it is when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me...why was I getting weaker and weaker and having more stomach problems? I had a Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis done through a chiropractor/natural doctor. The test is from Great Smokies Diagnostic Laboratory. My results were significant yet no one at that time knew what to make of them. The Immunology part of the test showed fecal sIgA. Normal ranges are from 44-183. Mine were 1, 130! REALLY high. I have no idea if this just means I have an autoimmune disease....or if it is specific for Celiac or another food allergy? I know it must be a clue but when I try to show my rheumatologist they say...I didnt do that test....and dont bother to look at it. BTW...Ihave been disgnosed with dermatomyositis but it has been difficult to treat...and I have a "GUT" feeling that I may have Celiac causing the immune problems.

Any help or info. would be great.

I am so grateful I found this board....

Rachael

I think what you may want to do is to contact Great Smokies themselves. They should be able to tell you what the test is specific for. Are you gluten free yet?

dellatigre Newbie

Thank you, thats a good idea. It says on the form that increased sigA means active infection or increased antigenic load....but that isnt telling me much. I will call Monday and see what I can figure out. I haven't started the gluten free diet yet. I am going in for some blood tests on Mon or Tues. I will wait and then start it. I actually WANT to start it. Even if the tests are negative I am going to do it. I just know it will be better to have an official diagnosis. Especially in my case. My docs want to start a very toxic chemo drug called Cytoxan or IVIG treatments. I am getting weaker and weaker. My diagnosis is dermatomyositis. Inflammed muscles....with a rash.....little blisters....sounds like the celiac rash.....

I just want to feel better....

Thank you again!

Rachael

I think what you may want to do is to contact Great Smokies themselves. They should be able to tell you what the test is specific for. Are you gluten free yet?
nettiebeads Apprentice
Thank you, thats a good idea. It says on the form that increased sigA means active infection or increased antigenic load....but that isnt telling me much. I will call Monday and see what I can figure out. I haven't started the gluten free diet yet. I am going in for some blood tests on Mon or Tues. I will wait and then start it. I actually WANT to start it. Even if the tests are negative I am going to do it. I just know it will be better to have an official diagnosis. Especially in my case. My docs want to start a very toxic chemo drug called Cytoxan or IVIG treatments. I am getting weaker and weaker. My diagnosis is dermatomyositis. Inflammed muscles....with a rash.....little blisters....sounds like the celiac rash.....

I just want to feel better....

Thank you again!

Rachael

OOH, sounds like celiac disease to me. Why don't you go gluten-free the day of the tests? As soon as you get home even. There are lots of people on this board who haven't had the "official dx" but know that their body is better without the gluten. And by trying the gluten-free diet for three weeks, then reintroducing gluten to your system and monitoring all physical/mental reactions you are performing another test. It's the diet challenge and a valid dx tool. And some in the medical community think that it is the most reliable test there is! Try it, you might like the results! And it couldn't hurt! Please keep us posted - and don't do the chemo until after you try the gluten-free diet. If you're already weak, the chemo could seriously undermine what reserves you have left.

Hope you get the correct answers soon!

Annette

dellatigre Newbie

Hi Anette,

Thank you for the reply. I am getting the tests on wed. and i am already preparing to start the diet. i am ready and willing for sure! i am thinking i may have other sensitivities too.....i eat a lot of soy. i am not sure yet what to avoid. probly corn too. i need to find a good list of the least allergenic foods and stick to those for a trial. than add one back in at a time. i am willing to try anything. one to get rid of the constant stomach/IBS problems and also to see if it effects my weakness....the "autoimmune inflammatory" disease i have been diagnosed with. i will wait to try the chemo like drug.....maybe i will otice improvement ina few weeks...at least a little. i hope!

thanks again!

BTW...it seems as though breakfast foods are the hardest to find gluten free.....any ideas. cream of rice seems to be one thing....

hope you are feeling well!

Rachael

OOH, sounds like celiac disease to me. Why don't you go gluten-free the day of the tests? As soon as you get home even. There are lots of people on this board who haven't had the "official dx" but know that their body is better without the gluten. And by trying the gluten-free diet for three weeks, then reintroducing gluten to your system and monitoring all physical/mental reactions you are performing another test. It's the diet challenge and a valid dx tool. And some in the medical community think that it is the most reliable test there is! Try it, you might like the results! And it couldn't hurt! Please keep us posted - and don't do the chemo until after you try the gluten-free diet. If you're already weak, the chemo could seriously undermine what reserves you have left.

Hope you get the correct answers soon!

Annette

nettiebeads Apprentice

Breakfast- I usually have cereal - malt-o-meal fruity crispy whatever. It's gluten-free (for now at least. I always check bags to make the ingredients haven't changed). Coca pebbles is safe too. Grits are okay. There's eggs and fruit. Some people have reported great success with the specific carbohydrate diet. You might do a search on that in this forum. I'm glad you're trying the gluten-free diet and I hope it works for you. I know of two people who are having digestive problems and I wish that they would try the diet for just three days even!

Best of luck!

Annette

Archived