This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Very Stupid Mistake !

honeybuzzed

honeybuzzed Rookie

ok ok I have only posted like a handful of times on here and I did do some reading in the beginning..... But then I was on overload so I stopped for a bit ... besides I was doing really well with the gluten-free diet, however, I wasn't sure how serious cross contamination was....... or I was in denial ........STUPID STUPID STUPID what is wrong with me ??? I don't know but I just paid for like two weeks with Migraines , Tummy stuff , muscle agony, and next to no sleeping for like 2 weeks and those are the tip of the iceberg. I am TOTALLY not acting like me! I am normally a pretty social person and I have avoided my family my friends and everyone for like 2 weeks. Today I was able to eat properlyish < I like to make up words my :rolleyes: in case anyone was wondering, as in I was actually able to eat ( I didn't cheat ) . My symptoms are still pretty bad but are starting to somewhat break ! THANK YOU !!!

After being able to eat and recouping for a bit I phoned and emailed everyone today to tell them I was ok. I was relieved a while ago to find out that all the brain fog was most likely due to this but wow I didn't think it or I was capable of that !

I am sooooo glad for this place because just reading it when I am stuck in my "cave" has really helped. I have now COMPLETELY banned any gluten in our place ( husband is willing participant ). My father lives upstairs from us so that is the glutenated kitchen. I hope that this post is readable? ...still really really foggy and tired so please bear with me ! So lesson learned when you stick you head in the sand ...... well you know what happens :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RKB-MD Rookie

My first suggestion is: Chill out girl!

OK, so you discovered you are so much better on an exclusion diet. Great! Stay on it! It is super that you have a spouse who is supportive (at least he drinks the beer and eats the “regular” pizza when you are not around!).

Do not beat yourself up. I would guess that 99% of the people around here have either purposely or inadvertently "cheated" on their diet. It's OK. You are suffering/ suffered, and now you know.

Now that you are not beating yourself up, look at exactly what you ate. Was it that you are so sensitive that cross-contamination got you, or did you eat something that "secretly" had gluten in it? You would be amazed at what is in various things. Labels, labels, labels - get reading glasses if you need - the letters are really small.

Start reading labels and cooking/ preparing for you and your hubby. Do another 2 weeks, then 4 weeks, etc. of a "clean" diet.

You will be OK. Just be careful. It will amaze you how much better you feel! The funny thing is, it’s a healthier diet anyway!

Nantzie Collaborator

It's not a mistake. It's a learning experience. Cross contamination and trace amounts sounds SO paranoid at first. It doesn't take long to realize how sick you can get from that stuff.

Pre-celiac logic would tell you that you should be able to just order the darn hamburger and just take off the bun yourself. Or be able to touch gluten and then eat gluten-free food without washing your hands and be fine. Some people must just be super sensitive. But not me. Nope. I've been eating gluten all my life. Sure I have problems, but it's not that bad...

But then you simply just walk the line and you end up SICK AS A DOG .

And I'm an -ish person too. I figure I'm contributing to the evolution of the language.

:lol:

Nancy

gfp Enthusiast

Its already been said very well by the previous 2 posters, chill out, its gets much easier.

What you have is an affirmation ... your doubts

Miso is available in a variety of non gluten types as well, including cycad miso or meri, used extensively by Japanese bhuddist monks. but also sobamugi fropm buckwheat (not a gluten) taima, hempseed (should be avialable on the Island :ph34r: ) and most commonly genmai from brown rice.

We have all done this ... early on like you and later on eating something we doubt etc.

Archived