This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Overweight Pre-diagnosis?

mythreesuns

mythreesuns Contributor

I know it's not the so-called "norm" but I have struggled with my weight for YEARS. I'm just wondering if it gets easier to manage your weight when you get the gluten under control.

I have noticed already (2 mos milk-free and 3 weeks gluten free) that the belly bloat is gone, but I also feel less hungry. I felt RAVENOUSLY hungry at first, given that I was only eating fruits and veggies! LOL But now I kind of feel like I'm just not as hungry. I remember before that no matter how much I ate I was always still hungry, which makes sense if you think in terms of not being able to get enough nutrients out of the food. But because I had to eat so much to satisfy my hunger I ended up being (and still am) kinda overweight.

I don't know, I guess I'm sort of talking to myself here, trying to process how gluten may have impacted my health up to this point. Just wondering if anyone else thinks this makes sense?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

queenofhearts Explorer

It makes a lot of sense to me. I wasn't overweight but I still had that frantically-hungry-all-the-time feeling-- I was constantly fighting the urge to eat. It's fading slowly! After diagnosis, at first I actually gained weight-- I ate a ton of gluten-free baked goods, because I'm an avid cook & HAD to figure it all out right away. And I couldn't let all those goodies go to waste, now could I? But I'm sort of evening out now, & back to a more balanced diet. The best thing is that I'm beginning to feel a distinct boost of energy, & since fatigue was my most life-complicating symptom, I'm thrilled! I've been anemic for 35 years, & I have a hunch that iron is finally beginning to make it through!

Leah

mythreesuns Contributor
I ate a ton of gluten-free baked goods, because I'm an avid cook & HAD to figure it all out right away.

Hmmm....I may have to pick your brain a little. I have been known as the cookie lady because around Christmastime I bake DOZENS of cookies!! I'm afraid to do that this year with "regular" cookies because of the mess it makes...getting flour all over everything and all.

I had thought of baking gluten-free cookies, but I haven't quite got the nerve. But, if you're already an expert, maybe I can learn from you! :D

Ursa Major Collaborator

A lot of us were/are overweight here, there is a whole thread to encourage each other while losing weight. What most doctors are unaware of is, that up to 40%, maybe more, of people with celiac disease have unexplained weight gain, rather than weight loss. Once your body is rid of the gluten, you'll likely start losing weight.

southgoingzax Newbie

Hi,

I was thin before going gluten-free, eating/hungry ALL the time...I have, since going gluten-free (nearly three years now) lost that compulsive, must-eat feeling, but I did gain 15-20 pounds...I am starting to lose a few pounds just recently, so I think I am maybe finally getting the hang of how much to eat. It's hard to change how much food your brain thinks you need, and I was so used to feeling like I HAD to eat...

As far as cookies go, there are some pretty great mixes, to start out on the less-complicated side (Pamela's, for one). I'd check those out for flavor/texture before heading out on your own.

Good Luck,

zax

queenofhearts Explorer
Hmmm....I may have to pick your brain a little. I have been known as the cookie lady because around Christmastime I bake DOZENS of cookies!! I'm afraid to do that this year with "regular" cookies because of the mess it makes...getting flour all over everything and all.

I had thought of baking gluten-free cookies, but I haven't quite got the nerve. But, if you're already an expert, maybe I can learn from you! :D

As one cookie lady to another, (I make ~40 dozen every Christmas!) I'm happy to inform you that cookies are the EASIEST thing to make gluten-free & delicious! There's a baking thread in this forum, as well as many recipes on the site index here, but if I were you I'd run right out & buy Bette Hagman's The Gluten Free Gourmet Makes Dessert, & Annalise Roberts' Gluten-Free Baking Classics.

Also, pm me for my flour list... it'll make mixing the flours less complicated. I'll need your e-mail address since it's a word document.

Happy baking!

Leah

Guest nini

I was classified as "morbidly obese" before my dx. Since going gluten-free 3 1/2 years ago, I have lost 110 pounds WITHOUT TRYING.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emcmaster Collaborator

Count me in for one that gained weight unexplainably. I wasn't obese (I went from 137 at 5'7" to 159) but as a triathlete that was working out several hours a day, the steady weight gain made no sense. Even cutting calories down to an obscenely low level for my activity level didn't help. I've since lost all the weight and am hoping to lose another 5-7 lbs.

mythreesuns Contributor

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's hard reading about celiac on the net, because while you do find articles talking about overweight celiacs, it still seems like it's not the norm, or even common.

Leah--what does "pm" mean? I've been all over message boards, but I haven't seen that abbreviation yet.

cathzozo Apprentice

I've had the exact same experience. I stopped eating gluten Apr. 1. I have steadily been losing 2-3 pounds a month - without trying. And I'm learning to bake cookies and cake, too! I've noticed, too, that my appetite is much smaller. I feel like I'm eating the smaller portions that I was taught to eat in Weight Watchers, but could never keep up with. When I go out to eat at Outback or PF Chang's, I can now save half of it to take home as leftovers.

And, I was overweight (well, still am) even though I exercise A LOT. Nobody could believe that I had so much extra weight when they heard my workout schedule. Oh well! I figured I now know what the problem is.

Catherine

queenofhearts Explorer
Thanks so much for all your replies. It's hard reading about celiac on the net, because while you do find articles talking about overweight celiacs, it still seems like it's not the norm, or even common.

Leah--what does "pm" mean? I've been all over message boards, but I haven't seen that abbreviation yet.

Look below this reply, & you will see a bar with a button that says "pm". It's short for personal message, or is it private message? Anyway, it means only I will see the message so your e-mail wouldn't be on the board.

This board can be googled so you don't want to put anything too personal on it, by the way... let me rephrase that-- we all talk about plenty of personal things, but that's why the usernames aren't usually our names, so if someone looks you up on Google they don't find out all about your D or whatever!!!

Leah

tiffjake Enthusiast

Just wanted to chime in really quick (and then eat my soup). I, too, was overweight pre-diagnosis. It hindered my diagnosis actually! But I ditto much that has already said here. And about weight loss, I lost 10 pounds easy at first, but then I found gluten-free brownies and cookies, LOL, and now I am back up to where I started, and doing weight watchers! Anything sweet, and I am a sucker! But you are not alone! Nice to meet ya, and when you get the PM thing down, say hi sometimes! Tiff

Kaycee Collaborator

Mythreesuns

No, you are not talking to yourself. I agree with what you say word for word, and I thought it was only me that felt the hunger before, and don't feel the hunger now. I still am kinda overweight, but it is winter here, and I will try to make the most of not being hungry over summer and try to loose some weight.

Just think I managed to loose two stone, before I started a gluten free diet. That was so hard to do, considering I was always hungry. I have found it easier to manage the weight as in not putting it back on being gluten free, and I just wanted to get myself used to gluten-free and get over winter before I try to loose more. I might not manage to loose any more, but I am confident that I will not put any more back on (I hope I don't ever have to eat my words), because the big appetite is just not there anymore.

You are mythreesuns, I was once that, but now I am and will continue to be myfoursons. Sons are wonderful.

Cathy

mythreesuns Contributor
You are mythreesuns, I was once that, but now I am and will continue to be myfoursons. Sons are wonderful.

LOL too funny! With already having a houseful of men, I can't IMAGINE adding one more to the mix!

luvs2eat Collaborator

I've gained probably 30 lbs since going gluten-free... it's so frustrating!!

Deb O (UK) Apprentice
I was classified as "morbidly obese" before my dx. Since going gluten-free 3 1/2 years ago, I have lost 110 pounds WITHOUT TRYING.

Fantastic Nini - that gives me hope :lol:

I know it's not the so-called "norm" but I have struggled with my weight for YEARS. I'm just wondering if it gets easier to manage your weight when you get the gluten under control.

I have noticed already (2 mos milk-free and 3 weeks gluten free) that the belly bloat is gone, but I also feel less hungry. I felt RAVENOUSLY hungry at first, given that I was only eating fruits and veggies! LOL But now I kind of feel like I'm just not as hungry. I remember before that no matter how much I ate I was always still hungry, which makes sense if you think in terms of not being able to get enough nutrients out of the food. But because I had to eat so much to satisfy my hunger I ended up being (and still am) kinda overweight.

I don't know, I guess I'm sort of talking to myself here, trying to process how gluten may have impacted my health up to this point. Just wondering if anyone else thinks this makes sense?

Hi Toni

I can relate to what you say and am in the same boat <_<

I am classed as obese and I've gained 4 stone in the last 4 years (and I'm not eating constantly as that weight gain would suggest!) I also eat plenty of healthy food and not too much processed stuff. I am so hoping that I will lose weight when I start gluten-free.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

Kaycee Collaborator

That would be so frustrating. I couldn't think of anything worse, a new way of eating for life, and then to put weight on.

Cathy

Archived