This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hall's Cough Drops

bklynceliac

bklynceliac Apprentice

Apologies if this is known information, but I jut got off the phone with Hall's Cough Drops and was told that their entire line is gluten-free! In my starter kit it said only Sugar-Free varieties, which I asked the woman about, and she said that used to be the case, but in the last few months they have made ALL Halls items gluten-free. So lozenge away!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lymetoo Contributor

Thanks for the info!!

oceangirl Collaborator
Thanks for the info!!

Thank you SO MUCH! I have needed a cough drop lately and those have always been my favorites, particularly because they use sugar instead of the ubiquitous corn syrup. Thank you again!

lisa

marcy Newbie

Oh that is great news! I use them all the time and I was afraid of Glutening my daughter! If you don't mind me asking what is a starter kit?????

Marcy

flagbabyds Collaborator

they must have changed it cause i had a fruit breezer in 8th grade and i got sooooooooooooooooooooo sick needed to go into the ER to get IVS

i will never eat them again!

Moongirl Community Regular

But we have to becareful for what is out on the shelves, im sure they have some of the older ones out there still , and they rolled out the new ones that are in fact gluten-free. I wonder how we know the differance?

bklynceliac Apprentice

good question. i hadn't thought about old product lying around, although it wasn't clear whether they had actually changed the content of their drops or just gotten around to completely verifying their gluten-free-ness. Anyway, they have expiration dates, so look for the ones that are furthest away, they'd be the newest.

Oh, by starter kit I meant the delphi list -- a good to place to start for safe items. If you don't have it I believe you can download here: Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I called themlike a few months ago and they told me they could not guarantee it and in some flavors they even said clearly that they were not gluten free. Maybe they changed. I stick with Ludens because they actually could answer it without a doubt that they are gluten free.

bklynceliac Apprentice

Just got off the phone with them again because I've been sick lately and thought perhaps Halls were the cause. She said again categorically all flavors all varieties of halls were gluten-free. She said infact they always had been, but they just got new information from their "regulatory commission" verifying the whole line. She also said they would soon be using allergen information on the packaging.

• 5 months later...
kdsully Newbie
I called themlike a few months ago and they told me they could not guarantee it and in some flavors they even said clearly that they were not gluten free. Maybe they changed. I stick with Ludens because they actually could answer it without a doubt that they are gluten free.

This is my first time posting so I hope I am doing it correctly. Anyhoo ... I noticed that you said that Ludens Cough Drops are gluten free. Do you remember how you contacted the company for this information? I have been the family's resource for gluten-free info and can generally find out anything, but haven't been able to find a contact number, website or e-mail for Luden's. When did you learn this info? Thanks.

Kathleen

• 10 months later...
Rpm999 Contributor

they have these new cough drops, ginger ale flavored and they seem so good

caramel

citric acid

flavors

glucose syrup

water

should be fine right?

• 2 months later...
Safiyah Rookie
This is my first time posting so I hope I am doing it correctly. Anyhoo ... I noticed that you said that Ludens Cough Drops are gluten free. Do you remember how you contacted the company for this information? I have been the family's resource for gluten-free info and can generally find out anything, but haven't been able to find a contact number, website or e-mail for Luden's. When did you learn this info? Thanks.

Kathleen

Open Original Shared Link

Ludens went to Hershey's, then to Pharmacia, then to Pfizer, then to Johnson & Johnson. No wonder you couldn't find anything. Anyways, at the bottom of the page is a number, maybe they can help you. Either that or there may be a number on the bags...

• 7 months later...
Cynbd Contributor

Hi there,

Thought I would update the Hall's Cough Drop discussion.

On October 8, 2008 I received this response to my inquiry from Halls:

>>>All of the Halls products are gluten-free. If any of our products contain gluten, the source of it will be on the ingredients as wheat, rye, barley, etc. If the allergen is not in the product but manufactured in facility that handles the allergen, then the product will state a warning that it may contain trace of the allergen. If there is neither declaration, then the product is free of the allergen.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We hope that you will continue to purchase and enjoy our products.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

AnneM Apprentice

I have always used Halls, and never had a problem with them. :D

• 5 weeks later...
aligator928 Newbie

Ricola is also Gluten Free, and the new Green Tea flavor is yummy!

Archived