This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Dh On Scalp- Anyone?

slpinsd

slpinsd Contributor

I've been getting these sores on my scalp that ooze and crust over. I wouldn't say itchy- but sore. Yes- there is wheat in one of my shampoos. I haven't been entirely gluten-free on the shampoo thing. I don't have a problem with any of my other products that have wheat in them.

What is confirmed DH on the scalp like? Do you have to have direct contact with wheat on the scalp to get it? Are there other irritations/sores that wheat contacting the scalp can cause?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Well, I think that shampoo can't CAUSE the DH on the scalp, but it sure isn't helpful, to put it mildly. I used to get those sores on my scalp, too, but mine were insanely itchy. Since I switched to Dove shampoo and conditioner, the itching is usually gone (even though I still get sores at times, but not nearly as bad).

So, I encourage you to get rid of your gluteny shampoo (and really, all your stuff that has gluten in it, why take the risk of contamination?) and find yourself a nice, gluten-free shampoo. Let us know if you find it makes a difference!

Kaycee Collaborator

I can relate to the sores on your scalp that ooze and crust over. Mine were not itchy, but tender, but I knew they were there and I tended to touch them probably a bit more than I should. I can be reading, watching tv or even on the computer and my hands would be constantly rubbing my scalp. I guess I have always had a sensitive scalp, and the cheaper the shampoo the worse, and the drier and itchier my scalp feels. At times I would wonder if I had nits, as it would drive me crazy.

That was then, and once I had given up gluten, the spots were getting worse, not better, so when I realised I was using a shampoo, not a cheap one, with wheat in it, I threw it away, and ended up with a scentless shampoo designed for sensitive skin. I don't really know if it was the flour that created the problem, but I do know I do not get these spots any more.

So it is very hard for me not to make the connection to the wheat in the shampoo to the spots that were in my hair. I have been spot free for about 5 months now, and gluten free for 8 months. Occassionally I get a spot, just one, and not a whole heap of them, but occassionally I use one of my sons shampoos, as I do miss having nice smelling hair

I don't think I have DH as I imagine that would be a whole lot itchier than what I have experienced, I have probably just a sensitive scalp, that doesn't like wheat.

I think, but I could be wrong, with DH it is like coeliac, and the offending material, like flour has to be ingested to cause a problem on the skin.

It could be we are allergic to wheat on the skin? Sometimes I feel like putting on a bandaid loaded with flour to see what reactions would happen. But I am a wuzz and wouldn't do that.

Just an aside, I went to the hairdressers today, and I hate doing that, as I work in a school I am dreading that one day they might find one of those crawly things, but so far, none have ever been found, Phew. That could be a post for another day if they find one.

I don't know if this helps, hope it has.

Cathy

Isonic Newbie

Yep, if you're not drinking the shampoo, it can't cause an outbreak.

At the same time, my DH is always exacerbated by soap and detergent. Dove is one soap free alternative that definitely helps.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yep, if you're not drinking the shampoo, it can't cause an outbreak.

At the same time, my DH is always exacerbated by soap and detergent. Dove is one soap free alternative that definitely helps.

I am sorry but this is a misconception. Shampoos and all toiletries need to be gluten free. I clearly get DH sores from using none gluten free stuff along with systemic signs of CC. I make sure everything is gluten-free. I use Arm and Hammer detergents and fabric softeners, Giovanni or BWC (beauty without cruelty) Shampoo and even check my pet foods and dish detergents for the stuff.

elonwy Enthusiast

If I use a shampoo or hair product that has wheat in it I get those itchy sores all over my scalp. I've switched to Dove products and I no longer walk around looking like I have fleas. Ingested gluten gives me skin bumps (slighty red, not really itchy but painful, kind of like a pimple with no head), gluten contact on skin give me itchy scabby sores. I'm not sure if the skin contact is DH or just a skin reaction to wheat, since there is a difference.

Elonwy

Kaycee Collaborator
Ingested gluten gives me skin bumps (slighty red, not really itchy but painful, kind of like a pimple with no head), gluten contact on skin give me itchy scabby sores. I'm not sure if the skin contact is DH or just a skin reaction to wheat, since there is a difference.

Elonwy

Elonwy

I get those bumps too. Do yours last for quite a while. I still have the remnamts of one under my arm from very early last month, it is just reddish They just show up, are annoying for a couple of days, and then slowly dissappear. Haven't had a new outbreak for a long time, mind you I have been extra good at finding hidden gluten.

I no longer use any product, whether it be shampoo or lotions with flour in. My main reason is that I get spots, and another because gluten is the enemy. I might go a bit far, I do not even eat anything that says it has wheat in even if the packet says it is gluen free.

I'm not sure like you but, agree with your last comment,

Cathy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

My bumps seem to be the same as yours. They will appear and can stay as long as a month, but usually only hang out for about a week. Most of mine show up on my neck, right along my hairline. Doctors could never tell me what they were, but they went away after I stopped eating gluten and only come back when I get glutened.

I used to get the rash constantly and changing products never helped. My doctor finally said I was having a reaction to something in the water here in LA. Not that putting in a very expensive purifier helped any.

Its really nice not to be itchy all the time.

Elonwy

Kaycee Collaborator
My bumps seem to be the same as yours. They will appear and can stay as long as a month, but usually only hang out for about a week. Most of mine show up on my neck, right along my hairline.

Elonwy

Alas mine are diffeerent to yours in that I can get them on my legs, arms and upper body as well as my face. Once I had about 5 running up the right side of my right leg, in a line, but usually it is just the odd one here and there. But I have no doubt it is probably related to gluten, or another food issue somewhere. As long as I behave and curb my wanting to try something I really shouldn't I am fine.

Cathy

chewymom Rookie
My bumps seem to be the same as yours. They will appear and can stay as long as a month, but usually only hang out for about a week. Most of mine show up on my neck, right along my hairline. Doctors could never tell me what they were, but they went away after I stopped eating gluten and only come back when I get glutened.

I used to get the rash constantly and changing products never helped. My doctor finally said I was having a reaction to something in the water here in LA. Not that putting in a very expensive purifier helped any.

Elonwy

Oh my goodness...are you kidding me??? I've not been diagnosed w/ celiac, but have a few very mild symptoms. I never have quite convinced myself to be tested, although my daughter was tested by Enterolab and came back as gluten sensitive. Anyway, I've had those bumps along the back of my hairline for YEARS. I just thought it was from sweating or something. Is that DH???? I'm embarrassed to wear my hair in a pony tail, unless I have on a turtleneck, they look so gross.

Also, along the front and center of my hairline my scalp is always flaky/scaly. I think my hair is even thinning along there. I just figured that my picking at it was irritating it. Maybe I'd better haul myself to...someone. I dunno....A dermatologist, I guess, although the ones here won't take new patients w/o a dr. referral, and THAT will never happen. :huh:

elonwy Enthusiast

My dermatologist was kind useless, though I didn't know what DH was at the time, so didn't know to ask for the tests. My hair was thinning a bit too and I'm 28, so that was scary, but its much fuller and stronger now that I'm gluten free.

Elonwy

Katie618 Apprentice

i have the same sores on my scalp too.. i was using dove but switch to Burt's Bees... it's expensive, but i'm beginning to notice a difference. i also switched my makeup... changing all my cosmetics and hair products to gluten free is making a difference... try it!!

evie Rookie
i have the same sores on my scalp too.. i was using dove but switch to Burt's Bees... it's expensive, but i'm beginning to notice a difference. i also switched my makeup... changing all my cosmetics and hair products to gluten free is making a difference... try it!!

If you are talking about small red bumps that itch I had that about 3 months after going glutten free. I decided it was gluten related but maybe as a last ditch effort of my problems because when those went away have had very little of that problem since. But...I have had an ITCHY scalp for several years...I think it is starting to finally go away. Have had a dermatologist look at it + regular Dr. with no help, have decided it must be gluten related and hopefully I am away from that long enough it will quit soon!!!! hopefully!

My dermatologist told me to use Johnsons baby shampoo..have for several months. Hang in there all. :)

evie

Ursa Major Collaborator

This is the first time I heard of anybody else who has had those itchy pimples/bumps along the hairline on the back of the neck! I've had those forever, and they went away gluten-free, and only come back when glutened.

Many years ago I showed them to a doctor, and she just said, "Well, that is just the way your skin is, there is nothing that can be done about it."

I didn't really believe her, but didn't know what to do, so I never showed it to a doctor again (I stopped trusting doctors as a child already, for various very valid reasons).

floridamommie Newbie

I too have the problems with my scalp - though mine dont really ooze, but itch. I have celiac disease and was wondering if I had DH. My skin would breakout after ingesting gluten, but not necessarily symmetrical. Ever since Dec I have had severe skin problems, I had eaten gluten, but have been checking my food much carefully and have not knowingly ingested gluten. but still the skin problems persist and they seem to be 2 different types of problems - the itchy bumps and symetrical on my hands and upper back and a scaly rash on my neck and my breast, maybe some type of excema or psorisas. I wondered if my bath products may be the cause and was informed by Pantene - that gluten in these products would not cause a reaction; but cant gluten agents be asborbed thru the skin? Either way I am looking to find toiletries that are gluten free and welcome any suggestions. I am currently using the Whole foods line for shampoo, contioner and shower gel, not seeing much of a difference. Previously I used Melaluca products (natural and contained tea tree oil) and had no problems until around december. I also notice a loss of hair around the front.

I also touch wheat bread regularly - making food for my family - could it come from handling gluten?

Just started to really find some resolution or control of these problems.

Ursa Major Collaborator
Previously I used Melaluca products (natural and contained tea tree oil) and had no problems until around december.

I used Lame Advertisement shampoo as well (which was better than what I used before), but found that first of all, it contained wheat germ oil, and secondly, tea tree oil is high in salicylates, and I am intolerant to those as well. Since I've switched to Dove shampoo and conditioner, my scalp is much better.

• 3 weeks later...
brizzo Contributor

I too had the same scalp outbreaks... check out my history with this Open Original Shared Link

anyways, that is the reason that I went gluten-free. I have only been gluten-free for 2 weeks. I am also seeing an allergist to confirm any other food sensativities/allergies (I know that word isn't Gluten Friendly... =)

num1habsfan Rising Star

I have DH on my scalp, a lot of it...and for me, honestly, using gluten-free shampoo dont even help that much, or doesnt make it go away. As long as I take my Dapsone everyday it usually dont itch too badly, tho!

~lisa~

brizzo Contributor

Num1, does a gluten-free diet not help your scalp either?

num1habsfan Rising Star
Num1, does a gluten-free diet not help your scalp either?

To a point, yes, it helps. But its always bad enough that I MUST wash it every morning as soon as I wake up, or i'd probably scratch it until i bleed!

~lisa~

lindalee Enthusiast

Elonwy

Elonwy, That is where mine is - the hairline along my neck. Dove-is it sodium laurel sulfate free? This itch has got to go!!!

up-late Rookie

The wheat free shampoo and conditioners made a huge difference to my scalp, i haven't had an itch since. I used to think the lumps were pimples from rubbing my neck or pulling my hair back too tight (they were hell when i had extensions) haven't had them since either. The gluten free stuff isn't always expensive, I checked the ingredients in the supermarket brands and my new products were on special, is worth a try.

mari-lyn Rookie
I too have the problems with my scalp - though mine dont really ooze, but itch. I have celiac disease and was wondering if I had DH. My skin would breakout after ingesting gluten, but not necessarily symmetrical. Ever since Dec I have had severe skin problems, I had eaten gluten, but have been checking my food much carefully and have not knowingly ingested gluten. but still the skin problems persist and they seem to be 2 different types of problems - the itchy bumps and symetrical on my hands and upper back and a scaly rash on my neck and my breast, maybe some type of excema or psorisas. I wondered if my bath products may be the cause and was informed by Pantene - that gluten in these products would not cause a reaction; but cant gluten agents be asborbed thru the skin? Either way I am looking to find toiletries that are gluten free and welcome any suggestions. I am currently using the Whole foods line for shampoo, contioner and shower gel, not seeing much of a difference. Previously I used Melaluca products (natural and contained tea tree oil) and had no problems until around december. I also notice a loss of hair around the front.

I also touch wheat bread regularly - making food for my family - could it come from handling gluten?

Just started to really find some resolution or control of these problems.

As you read the above replies you might get some answers to your questions. You could have celiac and a sensitivity to wheat (from touching it). But I have known people that use to be able to bake with wheat flour and now cannot. So, it may be a progressive thing...or we are just getting older and nothing works like it use to. good luck Marilyn

mari-lyn Rookie

I am just today having the blood test for screening. My first hint was a rash on my feet and hands. I thought that the scaley stuff on my head was from a new bar soap that a local lady produces - leaves the hair very soft. Now, that I am carefully feeling around, the spots are not big bit scaley. If it was a build up from the "shampoo" I would think I would have it everywhere.

It might be in my head but I get these itchy twinges...I am not scratching all of the time be will be pin prick "twinges"...that I scratch. This might be better posted under pre-dx. but I just need someone to talk to. I am so tired of scratching. .

debmidge Rising Star

My husband is 100% gluten-free diet and grooming products and still gets itchy, scaly rash under mustache and some flakyness around hairline.

The rash used to be even on his breastbone but going gluten-free made that go away.

I don't know what else would be causing the rash under the mustache.

Archived