• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

GlutenFreeAl

Anyone Familiar With Portland, Me?

Rate this topic

Does anyone know of any restaurants that can prepare gluten free food in the Portland area? I'm traveling there in October. I'll have a kitchen and I'll probably prepare most of my own meals. But what's a vacation without a few dinners out, right?

Thanks!

Lobster, lobster and more lobster.

Portland is my city! I have not yet ventured into gluten-free dining, though, as I am still a bit symptomatic and TERRIFIED of getting glutened! But there are so many great restaurants- check out the Old Port, Exchange St. in particular, for many great choices. Also, David's on Congress street seems progressive so perhaps aware of the gluten thing? If you travel through Wells, Me. on your way up to Portland, (which you will if you come in on 95), there is a FABULOUS restaurant about a mile and a half off the highway called Joshua's. They WILL cater to gluten-free diners. (friends own this) ALL organic, fresh food grown in their gardens and absolutely DELICIOUS! Gorgeous setting as well. If you call ahead, Barbara will let you know gluten-free items. The brochette (beef) is exquisite. Have a great time in Maine!

lisa

Does anyone know of any restaurants that can prepare gluten free food in the Portland area? I'm traveling there in October. I'll have a kitchen and I'll probably prepare most of my own meals. But what's a vacation without a few dinners out, right?

Thanks!

try Katahdin downtown Portland - delicious and familiar with gluten issues

Portland is my city! I have not yet ventured into gluten-free dining, though, as I am still a bit symptomatic and TERRIFIED of getting glutened! But there are so many great restaurants- check out the Old Port, Exchange St. in particular, for many great choices. Also, David's on Congress street seems progressive so perhaps aware of the gluten thing? If you travel through Wells, Me. on your way up to Portland, (which you will if you come in on 95), there is a FABULOUS restaurant about a mile and a half off the highway called Joshua's. They WILL cater to gluten-free diners. (friends own this) ALL organic, fresh food grown in their gardens and absolutely DELICIOUS! Gorgeous setting as well. If you call ahead, Barbara will let you know gluten-free items. The brochette (beef) is exquisite. Have a great time in Maine!

lisa

Thanks for the tip, Lisa! Mom lives in the area, so next time I drive up, I will have to try Joshua's.

I have had very good experiences at Salt Water Grill on Front Street. I'd consider it a Nice Occasion Place.

Thanks for the tip, Lisa! Mom lives in the area, so next time I drive up, I will have to try Joshua's.

I have had very good experiences at Salt Water Grill on Front Street. I'd consider it a Nice Occasion Place.

Thanks for the tip about the Salt Water Grill! I'm just seeing this so you probably won't see my thank you!

lisa