This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Let's Talk Costco!

lindalee

lindalee Enthusiast

I am going on a 4 day trip to Pa. and thought I would pack all my food for the trip. I usually stock up on fruit and veggies there. I am just starting to plan all this. My first trip with food. I'll be traveling by car through Maryland, Delaware and thought I would just cook everything and take some coolers. The hotel will have a ref. and microwave. I usually don't use a microwave-trying to save the enzimes. No whole foods here but I'll also shop at the health food store. Thanks, LindaLee

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I've never seen anything gluten-free at costco (esxcept for fruit and vegies). :(

lindalee Enthusiast
I've never seen anything gluten-free at costco (esxcept for fruit and vegies). :(

I think someone said the rotisiere chicken was. Not sure what else.

Girl Ninja Newbie

I buy the big tub of hommus they sell for like $4.75. Great with crackers or veggies and travels better than something dairy. I think it was spinach artichoke flavor. My dad buys the big packs of dried meat sticks they have in the cooler by their lunchmeats. I haven't checked their gluten status, but if they're gluten-free they'd travel nicely. Get sliced lunchmeats and cheeses and make up a container of meat and cheese roll-ups (I got turkey there that said gluten free on the package and I love their Muenster cheese). Very easy to eat in the car. Big bag of almonds or some other nuts, Boost shakes, fruit snacks, trail mix. Can you guys tell I basically live in the car??

For cook and take food I like to do mostaccioli or penne type noodles with a tomato and meat sauce. I reheats well and is filling. You could make up some kind of rice with chicken and veggies in it. Or sausage and sauerkraut. Think things that will be "one bowl" meals. I think they have Stagg chili at Costco.

lindalee Enthusiast
I buy the big tub of hommus they sell for like $4.75. Great with crackers or veggies and travels better than something dairy. I think it was spinach artichoke flavor. My dad buys the big packs of dried meat sticks they have in the cooler by their lunchmeats. I haven't checked their gluten status, but if they're gluten-free they'd travel nicely. Get sliced lunchmeats and cheeses and make up a container of meat and cheese roll-ups (I got turkey there that said gluten free on the package and I love their Muenster cheese). Very easy to eat in the car. Big bag of almonds or some other nuts, Boost shakes, fruit snacks, trail mix. Can you guys tell I basically live in the car??

For cook and take food I like to do mostaccioli or penne type noodles with a tomato and meat sauce. I reheats well and is filling. You could make up some kind of rice with chicken and veggies in it. Or sausage and sauerkraut. Think things that will be "one bowl" meals. I think they have Stagg chili at Costco.

Sounds good. What trail mix do you buy? I want to try to make one if I can't find one gluten-free. Thanks for all the help. Do you buy the rotisterie chicken? LL

phakephur Apprentice

chicken salad

shrimp cocktail

has anyone tried those olive oil and rosemary potato chips? Those things are awesome.

lindalee Enthusiast
chicken salad

shrimp cocktail

has anyone tried those olive oil and rosemary potato chips? Those things are awesome.

If all thats gluten-free, I will put that on my list.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

the chicken is wonderful, shrimp cocktail v. good, haven't had chicken salad. The potato chips are in fact fantastic....

Girl Ninja Newbie

Actually, I usually get Harmony brand trail mix from Meijer because that's closer to me than Costco. I think Costco has their own brand of trail mixes and dried fruit blends. I've never had a problem with their trail mixes. Sorry I can't remember the name.

lindalee Enthusiast
Actually, I usually get Harmony brand trail mix from Meijer because that's closer to me than Costco. I think Costco has their own brand of trail mixes and dried fruit blends. I've never had a problem with their trail mixes. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Is Meijer a grocery store? I'm in Va.

Felidae Enthusiast

You can get Mrs Mays products, such as the almond clusters, at Costco.

Nevermind, I just read the post that said these are no longer gluten-free. So, don't buy these.

jenvan Collaborator

Went to Costco last night... They do have some gluten-free stuff there, but not a ton. They have some naturally gluten-free tortilla chips and I bought a 6 pack of Thai Kitchen micro meals. Also...there are assorted nuts that are gluten-free.

penguin Community Regular

My Costco has Pacific foods organic chicken broth, but right now I have a Sam's membership, so I don't go in there much unless I sneak in to look around and get a hot dog :ph34r:

Girl Ninja Newbie

Yeah, Meijer is kind of like Walmart. It was founded in MI. I don't know how far outside MI it extends.

lindalee Enthusiast
My Costco has Pacific foods organic chicken broth, but right now I have a Sam's membership, so I don't go in there much unless I sneak in to look around and get a hot dog :ph34r:

I was so excited when I saw that in there. I use it all the time. Wow, we can eat the hot dogs? I know you get it without the bun but can you eat all the condiments there? I used to always get the yogurt. I just make sure I am full before I go in that place.

penguin Community Regular
I was so excited when I saw that in there. I use it all the time. Wow, we can eat the hot dogs? I know you get it without the bun but can you eat all the condiments there? I used to always get the yogurt. I just make sure I am full before I go in that place.

I don't know if we can eat the hotdogs or not, I'm on a gluten challenge for my biopsy. Something tells me that they're nathan's though, and not gluten-free. Sorry for not mentioning that :unsure:

silvia Newbie
You can get Mrs Mays products, such as the almond clusters, at Costco.

Nevermind, I just read the post that said these are no longer gluten-free. So, don't buy these.

Be carefully with tortilla chips, sometimes wheat flour is added for consistency :unsure:

lindalee Enthusiast
I don't know if we can eat the hotdogs or not, I'm on a gluten challenge for my biopsy. Something tells me that they're nathan's though, and not gluten-free. Sorry for not mentioning that :unsure:

I called Costco and the Santa Barbara Salsa -Deli style is gluten-free. She said all her salsa's are gluten-free. Costco also carries the Mango and itsGF. They have a lot of others they sell at Food Lion(Roasted Garlic )Their web site is www.sbsalsa.com. They have recipes too. This was a returned call to me from Santa Barbara. Costco is going to let me know about the hot dogs and yogurt. LLee :)

mamaw Community Regular

where in Pa are you going to be? There are several nice gluten-free stores around but I would need to know where you will be to tell if any would be fairly close to you. You can pm me with your destination and I'll give you places if they are close.....

mamaw

jenvan Collaborator

I pked up some of the broth too--yum. Great deal. This wouldn't be for travel per se, but they also have (can't remember the brand), Taquitos that are labeled Kirkland but made by a name brand. They don't contain gluten. Can anyone remember the brand name?

lindalee Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Heading to Costco today. Does anyone know of a gluten-free barbeque sauce? Cooking later for the trip. LLee

jenvan Collaborator
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Heading to Costco today. Does anyone know of a gluten-free barbeque sauce? Cooking later for the trip. LLee

Yes! They have Sweet Baby's Ray's at Costco in 2 packs, it is gluten-free! See it here: Open Original Shared Link

lindalee Enthusiast
Yes! They have Sweet Baby's Ray's at Costco in 2 packs, it is gluten-free! See it here: Open Original Shared Link

thanks jen! LLee

Green12 Enthusiast

Be careful of any canned chicken to make chicken salad. I don't remember what brand it is specifically at my Costco, but there is wheat starch listed as an ingredient.

kristi Rookie

It has been soooo nice since packaging changed and they have to list main allergens at the bottom of ingredients! I frequently eat Costco's hot whole chickens and highly recommend them. They are gluten-free. I put them on top of their bulk salad greens. I haven't found anything off their cafe list I can have, if anyone finds out anything is OK please post it. Their is a dry salami (maybe Gallo?) I have also used on the road traveling. I have noticed that each Costco depending on it's location sometimes carrys local items that you cannot find in other Costcos in different states.

Archived