This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate?

MandyCandy

MandyCandy Rookie

Is chocolate off limits?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aerin328 Apprentice

I'm a newbie at this but I've heard processed chocolate is often off limits b/c of cross contamination while "pure" chocolate is OK. I know in my own case chocolate still disrupts the fragile digestive track and I avoid it! Perhaps another poster has details?

Lisa Mentor
B) I eat M&M's by color only........start with brown and whatever suits me, other colors get devoured. I have a bowl full of greens left. B)
flagbabyds Collaborator

i eat hersheys bars

tarnalberry Community Regular

chocolate comes from cocoa beans, not from grain, and isn't related to wheat. as with anything with ingredients, however, you ALWAYS have to read the ingredients. I have never seen a pure cocoa powder that wasn't gluten-free, but I've seen a dark chocolate that had barley malt in it. things get more complicated from there, and you just have to read ingredients.

(I tend to prefer tropical source - especially their chocolate chips, dagoba, and endangered species chocolates.)

Rusla Enthusiast

Hershey's, Effem, Cadbury are very good at listing all ingredients and whether their chocolate has been manufactured in facilities that have wheat or gluten products in them. Cadbury peanunt butter bars are a no no and unfortunately many Lindt and the Terry's Oranges are off limits.

eleep Enthusiast

I like the Newtree dark chocolate barsthey do have several "flavors", but the black currant (which is sitting in front of me right now) is completely fine for me. I imagine that a bunch of these single-source bean dark chocolates have very few added and possibly dangerous ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

up-late Rookie

I've been eating chocoate but checking the labels first. I found cadbury stuff ok, fruit and nut, and twirl. Today though I got plain chocolate from Darrel Lee, big mistake, nothing bad on the label but within 10 minutes I was really crook. Two visits to the toilet before I could even get out of the shopping centre and a hefty dose of Imodium when I got home, thank God I found that stuff, I'd still be sitting on the loo.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Snickers bars are ok! Ghiradelli chocolate is not. The problem with most candy is that there might not be any gluten in the ingredients, but lots of companies dust the conveyor belts with flour to keep candy from sticking to it. Therefore you have to do a lot of research on your favorite sweets. I recently read that See's Candy no longer uses wheat in anything, except for their Malt Truffles (obviously), so I'm excited about that!

Also, my favorite cookies, which are very chocolatey indeed, are Pamela's Products Dark Chocolate Cookies with Chocolate Chunks. YUM! Good luck!

Archived